In attempts to fill up an entire page by myself, I present u with a bunch of mediocre-at-best vertical shots from my recent trip to Hawaii.

lol. nice try, but you need to upload some more to fill the whole page.

need a hand? i've got lots of mediocre pics too!

portrait2.jpg

You have a soft focus on her face which may or may not be intentional but I dislike it and feels it distracts from a portrait with this much dead space. Furthermore your white balance is almost entirely off in the grays which takes away the contrast / sharpness significantly. Also overexposed prolly a little more than half a stop - did you shoot in raw?

30084410037f590273bf.jpg

One from a wedding two weekends ago in Santa Barbara, more to come

EDIT: Meh, I didn't scale this down properly before I uploaded it to imageshack so it looks all pixely and oversharpened. Sorry..

re: shadows in the medium format shot:

The shadows are nasty because the lighting in that room was absolutely awful. I had to take the lampshades off of the 2 lamps in the room. It wasn't ideal but it was the best that I had to work with before my friend shipped out.

As for the other portrait, I'm not sure what you mean about my white balance being off, in the color version of the image, white is white and all the colors look natural. Not sure what you mean about it being over exposed. either, since none of the highlights are blown. I agree with you about the soft focus on the face, though. It wasn't intentional and I agree it's distracting.

Thanks everyone for your crit and rep!

As for the other portrait, I'm not sure what you mean about my white balance being off, in the color version of the image, white is white and all the colors look natural. Not sure what you mean about it being over exposed. either, since none of the highlights are blown. I agree with you about the soft focus on the face, though. It wasn't intentional and I agree it's distracting.

Thanks everyone for your crit and rep!

I assumed white balance because your background is overly gray and muted as the whole which could have been just a grayscale conversion problem...how did you convert to B&W?

Also the background looks "too bright" on a whole - it just doesnt look that way because of the muted gray tones except by her left hand where its clearly bleeding over.

What was your strobe set up?

wisie, i like that last shot, good composition, but seems not soft nor sharp what aperture did u shoot at

Thanks for the comments

I agree, it was shot at 5.6 so not as sharp as I'd like

Isn't 5.6 supposed to be sharp? If u shot f/5.6 at infinity, it should be sharp. Even f/4 would be sharp at infinity