maybe it's because the colors don't pop as much as, say, the cheerleader shot.

but must add, i need to learn how to take carl-esque shots.

Yeah, that's partially what I meant, carl's shots usually have a certain tone/color/whateveryoucallit.

I'm looking at getting the 28 1.8 how is it? I heard good things but i never know what to trust.

its a good lense, compared to for example a 35mm 1.4, its very lightweight. however at 1.8, its quite soft and images need some editing, mainly sharpening. at 2.8, its already better.

on a related note, I need a second opinion on this:

I currently have a 16-35mm 2.8, I think its a great zoom lense but kind of overlaps with my 35mm 1.4. I've been comparing the zoom to a 17-55mm 2.8, I wouldn't mind having a bit more versatility with the 20 more mm's, plus its lighter in weight as well. but would I be stepping down in terms of quality or is the difference minimal?

last two shots are really nice

Check out http://www.slrgear.com and compare the charts. EF-S lenses are alright, but if/when full frame sensors become commonplace, you're kinda SOL.

ah well I'm on a cropped one for now anyways.. is there a change towards ff's in models that are currently cropped?

seems like the 17-55 is actually evaluated slightly higher than the 16-35. I havent come across any sharpness issues which they mentioned, though.

I like that, the sheets look really cool and the contrast between the window is great

@mike: if you need some test shots of my tamron 2.8/ 17-50 lemme know

I've seen your pics foo. its definately a good lense, I've suggested it recently for some people upgrading from the kit lense or looking for something after purchasing a body only, one of the best options for that IMO. but I know its pretty damn loud compared to the USM and the stabilizer on the canon is tempting ;) to be honest I think thats my only option at the moment

Has anyone shot with a Holga 120 before? I'm considering buying one with a 35mm adapter for cheap to take with me on winter vacation. I've broken an iPod and a camera while snowboarding, and I hate wearing a backpack on the slopes.

The reason I want the 35mm adapter is because changing film every 12 shots is a bitch when it's -10 outside.

i have a holga, it's great, and takes completely shitty pictures. quite fun

you don' neeed a 35mm adapter, just pull out the square adapter and stuff in a 35mm roll with whatever will hold it in there.

also, don't order one from lomography. there's no reason to spend so much money on a camera that's not worth more than 10 dollars.

the thing is, with the 35mm adapter, it masks off the sprocket holes, so your exposure is limited to the frame of the 35mm film.

pricing, i'm not sure about in the UK but considering how shitty the US dollar is, that ends up being about 40$ US. often times you can find them on ebay being shipped from china for much less.

the thing is, with the 35mm adapter, it masks off the sprocket holes, so your exposure is limited to the frame of the 35mm film.

pricing, i'm not sure about in the UK but considering how shitty the US dollar is, that ends up being about 40$ US. often times you can find them on ebay being shipped from china for much less.

true, and at f/8 every bit of light is a good thing i guess.

Because it seems that theyre getting somewhat popular, i think all the HK sellers jacked up their prices. Even on ebay.com/hk the price is usually around 20GBP/$40 once you add shipping. I can get it for 35 if I'm lucky.

I figure its still a pretty good deal though.

Also, I'm certainly not going to use an external flash. At 2-3 dollars extra i figure the one with the builtin flash is worth it?

also, i'm leaning towards a plastic lens right now for extra crappy pictures.

i'm not talking about the amount of light the 35mm mask holds back, i'm just talking about the stylistic/aesthetic value that not using the mask adds to the pictures, allowing you to expose the area around the sprocket holes of the film.

get a plastic lens, don'tget a built in flash. if you already have a hotshoe flash for another camera it will still work. the batteries in the built in flash camera are always falling out and creating havoc on the loaded film.

now that i think about it, i got the holga so long ago, it's sure to have risen in price. so yeah as cheap as you can get it i guess. just not from lomography.com...capitalist bastards!

the only flash I have is a 580ex, and I really don't want to take that with me for the same reason that I don't want to take my 30D with me.

In the end I probably won't even need the flash since I'm going snowboarding with the camera. And if I decide later on that I want to keep using the Holga, I guess I can invest a bit more money into it. In the end all I really want it to do is take interesting pictures for a month or two. I'll probably shoot a roll or two before going just to get used to the camera but other than that I'll jump in headfirst.

Fuck a Holga, just get an old 35mm rangefinder. They're fun imo and I like the photos. The holga shots on 35mm are kinda cool because of what chris was saying about it exposing the whole thing..but still....ebayyyy. I can throw some names of some cameras to check for that you can definitely get for cheaper than $40. I'm sure everyone else has some ideas as well.

^

nice carl that first one is hilarious

Proff Mintoff I have used the Holga for a few years and would say it is definitley worth it. The Holga works exceptionally well in bright sunlight and with snow you get a lot of reflected light. I have had one for about 5 years and still takes fine pictures.

If you want to shoot 35mm the adaption can be done by you. Cut two peices of foam to house the 35mm cannister and wrap rubber bands around a 120 film spindle this will allow you to shoot across the sprocket holes. There are many other ways to adapt it but the newer models have these, built in tripod mount and long exposure setting. One without a built in flash would be better as the batteries can get loose inside and get in the way of the film. Ebay and delivery from Hong Kong is by far the cheapest option imo.