nice pic....what did you end up buying?

i got an xti+kit lens for 770 from a mom and pop.

which i thought was pretty good cause i went to best buy after to get printer ink for school and the kit there was 899.

i'm sure there's cheaper ways online but i feel safer buying stuff from a physical store.

then that plastic 50mm 1.8 for 75 haha.

it feels shitty in my hand but i like the pics i've gotten from it so far.

your friends have some crazy smiles.

has anyone used the ricoh gr digital? i've found one i can get quite cheap used and i can't decide if i should get it or not. opinions....

i also have to decided between the gr digital or a contax t2 or g2 with 45mm and tla 140 flash

From NEF/RAW, I have a few different B&W workflows.

for street or fashion, I generally like higher contrast, most of the time I switch to default b/w color (press "d"), and use Gradient Map, this gives you pretty good B&W to begin with. Adjust Level (Command-L or Ctrl-L) or Curves (command-M) to bring out more dynamic range. I usually lower the midpoint a slight bit, and then and S curve increases contrast.

for portraits, I prefer using the channel mixer and use mostly the Red channel (like 90% red, or even 100% red), this gives you very smooth skin so you won't need to spend a lot of time with the healer and stamp tools. After you're done processing the skin, you can adjust the curves to bring back some contrast.

in newer version of PS, ACR (Adobe Camera Raw) has a B&W conversion, you can see how it looks like there, I've used that to convert to B&W as well with decent results.

a silhoette shot:

1313611542_fd1cee7cda.jpg

To mellowbonsai: The hand pictures are so contrived. Reminds me of masturbatory art. I do however like the shadows.

But still masturbatory. :P

(seriously no.hate.)