ETERNAL 811 Contest 10/10/10 - 12/12/12

beatle

yeah this is kind of crazy problem wise. I mean, No pair of jeans I've ever had make it past 1 year without at least a crotch repair, but this pocket stuff is weird. Mine are still at 100% And I've beaten them up pretty good. Maybe a few broken stitches on the back pockets near rivets but that always happens.

Other than my pocket (thread) tearing I haven't see those sorts of issues - even with the thread being out before the repair the pockets were in good shape. I also don't erally have not too tight's crotch wear (that's a weird thing to write) but didn't he SDO?

When I ordered these back in June I thought 30 would be perfect slim but not crazy tight fit, I even went to BiG to try on raw and the one wash verisons. Since June I have grown 2 inches taller and put on about 10 lbs so in reality I need 31 now so my 30s are practically SDO. I hope I can make it through the entire contest.

The majority of my repairs are from my sizing issues and pocket bag threads have come loose on every raw pair of jeans I've had.

When I ordered these back in June I thought 30 would be perfect slim but not crazy tight fit, I even went to BiG to try on raw and the one wash verisons. Since June I have grown 2 inches taller and put on about 10 lbs so in reality I need 31 now so my 30s are practically SDO. I hope I can make it through the entire contest.

The majority of my repairs are from my sizing issues and pocket bag threads have come loose on every raw pair of jeans I've had.

Gtfo you didn't grow two inches did you? I don't wanna be mean but that almosts sounds like a medical condition to me.

Gtfo you didn't grow two inches did you? I don't wanna be mean but that almosts sounds like a medical condition to me.

yeah, it sounds like NTT might be having some trouble using the measuring tape. looked back and initial fit pics were real tight and the waist measured 31 then (according to measurements). sounds like 32 would be TTS and he's currently down two...

chambo - did SDO to 29 but accidentally got a 28, right? so sized down two, also...

justanotherxy - remember you talking a lot about how tight they were early on... plus getting in bar fights and whatnot...

i'm 3 months into mine and no problems to speak of, except the usual rivet wear and the chainstitch busting in one spot where it rubs against my shoes (a problem i seem to have on all my jeans). flaws seem to be more in the sizing than the construction.

but i'm knockin on wood as i type this...

mine has a few popped threads in the seat area as well but nothing major. everything seems to be in A-OK condition. i have no gripes at all with my 811s, just the silkscreen print on the pocketbags. they are a nice slim fit to turn to from my ROY x CONEs. the threads on my pocket bags are also holding up great even though i use them a lot. definitely a great pair.

Post soak.

Size 29, TTS. Hemmed to a 34" inseam.

photo60t.jpg

I think they look okay in the picture, but I'm actually a bit on the fence about them. Gonna soak one more time in hopes of taming the infamous 811 hip flare which you can't really see in the pic. It's there though, believe me. :rolleyes:

Uh oh...so these were layered under my ski gear for warmth (and fades, killed it all week.) Anyways. My inseam chainstitch has come unraveled near the crotch and I'm afraid they'll fall apart.

Gonna poll you guys since its a comp. and all, and I'm bored...

1.-Z- fixes it himself, not sure how really. Patch over the inseam or stitch the hell out if it.

2. Local tailor sews a thin strip of denim across the crotch and a few inches down the inseam for reinforcements.

3. Denim doctors......and wait it out.

Lol sorry I'm drunk and just read how dumb this sounds, but if well. My pair is NOT going to last 2 years of everyday wear...I won't have anything to submit for the competition ending!

Uh oh...so these were layered under my ski gear for warmth (and fades, killed it all week.) Anyways. My inseam chainstitch has come unraveled near the crotch and I'm afraid they'll fall apart.

Gonna poll you guys since its a comp. and all, and I'm bored...

1.-Z- fixes it himself, not sure how really. Patch over the inseam or stitch the hell out if it.

2. Local tailor sews a thin strip of denim across the crotch and a few inches down the inseam for reinforcements.

3. Denim doctors......and wait it out.

Lol sorry I'm drunk and just read how dumb this sounds, but if well. My pair is NOT going to last 2 years of everyday wear...I won't have anything to submit for the competition ending!

Im going to have to demand pictures here. If you have a machine Id say go for it at home.

just repaired a busted belt loop...

after the repair... there's no more raised belt loop... well.. at least for that particular one..

choice of thread: Daiwa Samurai 20lb test Braid Fishing Line

Why? it's strong and I'm sick of the pure cotton shit... how da heck would my jeans last 2 years... we're not even @ 4 months yet..

these are not the regular monofilament lines (aka the plastic clear ones), these are woven with 8 strands of fibre... so.. they are strong...

description for pictures in order:

1. taking the fishing line off my Shimano Stradic Ci4 reel...

2. Damage

3. Outside post repair

4. Inside post repair, if you look hard enough, I looped the fishing line back through the loops thus looking back the threads to prevent it from coming out..

web.jpg?ver=12950496480001

web.jpg?ver=12950496490001

web.jpg?ver=12950499860001

web.jpg?ver=12950500050001

I'm interested in the fishing line – but (and I'm not a fashion engineer), wouldn't the tensile strength of the cord > surrounding fabric = tear in fabric around cord? I'm definitely investing in some polycore denim thread when I have a chance though. I really am not certain how many jeans will be around in decent form at a year, let alone two, seeing as how quick denim is wearing out and threads are bursting...

Maybe a better idea would have been an Okinawas pair contest...

i thought about that too... because these type of fishing line is supposed to cut through weeds when you jerk the line thus allowing you to free snags...

it will also cut your finger if you apply a lot of pressure on it....

so in order to tackle these issues... I would suggest using something with a higher pound test strength, a larger diameter would give it less cutting ability..

I doubt much damage would be done since the fishing line is not really applying much pressure and it's not really moving... we'll see half a year down the road and see if this works..

^^ fuck it, kevlar patches from now on ;)

also: I was thinking more around the lines of using fishing line in repairing a high-stress region (say, the crotch/upper thighs) that sees a lot of tensile stretch along multiple axis. Thus, the surrounding fabric would probably give way before the line does, leading to problems later down the line. Your repair doesn't fall under this category (and in fact, belt loops I've almost universally never had a problem with before), so I think it should be okay.

I ended up using some cheap poly thread to stitch up the crotch on mine...did a great job for now, not going to last forever.