what are you reading today?

almondcrush

I read this, liked it enough. The characters were interesting and dialogue was sharp. Liked the new york vibe.

But, right before I read this I was reading a lot of greek plays, and I always feel like when I've been reading classical stuff and then jump to modern fiction it feels too new. I don't want to say too easy, but maybe.

I know exactly what you mean, but sometimes you've got to rebel against your own snobbery, na'am sayin ma du?:P

1968grovejuliette.jpg

A must read for anyone who enjoyed Foucault's History of Sexuality series.

People instantly make assumptions whenever they see me read this book as if it were 1,200 pages of lewd sexual acts. In fact, the (albeit jaw-dropping) sexual episodes are sprinkled in between these long dissertations on certain characters' philosophies which range from the legal system to religion to cultural norms.

About a dozen recent reviews on the use of the fluorine-18 radioisotope in PET imaging so that I can co-author my own review with a guy in France that I have never met, to potentially impress some future employers, who probably won't even care when and if my potential employment eventuates... *sigh*

I'd much rather be finishing off Empire of the Sun...

Guest bambam
Starting my second Murakami today:

3203821461_fd30717c3f.jpg

Hope it won't disappoint!

this was dope as usual. not my favorite of murakami's novels (as opposed to short stories i mean) but it definitely won't disappoint. come to think of it though, i've liked every book and story of his i've read.

I'm reading:

american_psycho.large.jpg

Guest bambam

so worth it. even without the wonderfully gruesome murder/torture scenes they couldn't have realistically included, there are so many more great scenes/character developments that are left out that i really enjoyed in the book. definitely recommended

how close to that is the movie? i hate reading books after i've already seen the movie, but that still interests me. worth it?

The book is sooo much better than the movie, as is usually the case. Obviously the movie had to have a certain level of self-imposed censorship because the book is much less comic than the film. You should check it out if you even remotely liked the film, Bret Easton Ellis is pretty good.

Here's what I'm into at the moment:

img2363g.jpg

Loving it. And I don't even usually like war novels. It has a nice hallucinogenic unreality about it.

how close to that is the movie? i hate reading books after i've already seen the movie, but that still interests me. worth it?

hmm. I almost always prefer the book to the movie, but in this case I thought the movie was just more to the point.

book was still good though.