Left Field Jeans

scotty2

Yup. Now that I see what you're referring to, I'm totally with you and recall have similar thoughts about the rivets' placement. I'm less concerned with the fact that it's the same rivets front & back, but I take your point about wear-through. As you're suggesting, my SCs, for instance, are setup with entirely different hardware in the rear and placed squarely between the double row stitch at the top of the pocket.

@BrennenCooke

nice fades!

@givemefive

interesting observation. I can't speak on the 'correct' method for back pocket rivets but I believe LF's must provide some reinforcement.

Had to machine wash my Black Maria's a couple days ago. I performed a b-boy show with a few of my students... unfortunately it rained all day so when it was our turn to dance, the stage was incredibly muddy. Instead of flipping and spinning we were slipping and falling. Luckily the cold and rain kept most of the town indoors so instead of being embarrassed it was quite a fun experience. Here are the results of the mud:

lOpJP6Ul.jpg

RDa8xWkl.jpg

No way was I hand washing these so into the machine they went. Post wash, I felt like the pants had reached a milestone. They are significantly softer and lighter in color. With 9 months left in the contest, I'm excited to see how these jeans look and wear in the end.

Post wash pics:

O41IXxSl.jpg

LVAuUmil.jpg

One of my favorite details.. the ropes!

SitHebPl.jpg

Edited by brucenasty

@brucenasty

Lookin' good!  Amazing how the wash changed the appearance of them.  One thing I've noticed is that the denim is so dark pretty much anything you rub against shows up on them. 

@itschrisb

Funny welding story... I went to UArts for jewelry/metalsmithing.  One of my classmates was working on her final project late at night and on not much sleep.  Funny how those things always came down to the last minute.  She was wearing a synthetic blend hoodie, and sitting down while oxyacetlyene welding, with sparks going everywhere including into her lap.  You can probably see where this is going already.  Her hoodie caught on fire and of course she did not stop drop and roll, but stood and screamed and took it off over her head.  Fortunately, she suffered only minor burns on her abdomen.  She kept the hoodie and gave it to our teacher the day she graduated. 

@brennen thanks for making the trek out to Ridgewood, great meeting you as well and glad you made it to the Punk Magazine 40th Anniversary, really cool show.   

@gimmefive they can't get the bartack foot that close to the top corner because of the rivet, sorry!  The rivets are reinforced thru the pocket fabric, and  top pocket corner extra reinforced with a heavy duty bar tack. We have yet to have any issues with pockets corners.  I personally like the aggressive fades due to the burr and sometimes the copper nipple poking thru the cotton but if it bothers you, you can flatten it easily with a whack of the hammer. 

Seeing some nice evolution on the jeans. For best contrast fades don't rinse/wash them for as long as you can hold out. Thanks again for all the picts and input and seems like a really cool and interesting group of guys. C

@andrewrose hahaha that's awesome, thankfully she wasnt majorly burnt. It amazing where those little sparks will end up getting. I cant tell you the amount of times ive felt them roll down my back!

I'm taking a trip down to Washington DC next weekend, any recommendations on food or coffee? I'd love to check out some local roasters. I think were making reservations at this Indian place near Dupont Circle for one of the nights. 

Never got around to sending mine in to get repaired so I decided to start wearing them again. I gave them a wash and hang dry in anticipation of sending them in. Starting to see some fading.

20160218_145257.jpg

20160218_145304.jpg

20160218_145325.jpg

20160218_145333.jpg

We have some 18 oz collect Black Maria's in cutting next for those looking for a heavyweight black sulphur jean. Please post some updates if you haven't in awhile fades def should be happening by now. best, Christian

Was just about to ask when these are going to be coming out. Will the Charles Atlas cut be included???

My mule skinner. No Idea how much actual wear this jacket has. Don't wear it much in the summer but the rest of the year I wear it 3-4 times a week, have had it a little longer than a year. 3 machine washes so far

QTluMKQ.jpg

rxhnyFe.jpg

Got the chance to take some pictures with an actual camera this time around - much better than my usual shitty cell phone stuff.

Anyways, here they are. I've washed them twice now, once in the tub and once in the machine, although I wish I hadn't because I'm not really getting any contrast in the combs sadly. I think the black denim just shows dust more than I'm used to so I'm inclined to rinse them more often. 

The crotch is probably gonna wear through within a few weeks, but I need to get the tiny holes in the seat and the gash in the thigh patched up anyways.

Still love the denim though, the vertical fading is pretty great in person. They're starting to look pretty grungy too, which I'm about.

Cheers guys, can't wait to see more progress pics!

mreHq62h.jpgnainLWOh.jpg?1PG523wch.jpg5kbirGbh.jpg?1JMBKkrnh.jpg

EDIT: Here is one more top down picture in natural light - It better shows off just how much gray has started to come though.

LRQWbXUl.jpg

Edited by BrennenCooke

@brennen wearing in nicely, the long cotton strands in this denim make a nice smooth grain,as well as an oily looking shine on mine

@pudas good to see the Nihon faded,  considering do more with that mill

For anyone posting on instagram please use #blackmariafadecontest we will take post into consideration for contest winners. Going to be  finally cutting the 18 oz Collect and a blk/blk 14 oz sulphur from Blue Selvedge Mills as well as some more restock in the 14 oz  black sulphur from Collect. We are offering a free navy tube tee, comb and bandanna to all participants for your support and enthusiasm. Pm us with your address and tee size. Send us some picts to post on instagram wearing them in your local habitat!  best, Christian

Received the 18 oz. Collect Mills in Charles Atlas cut.  Amazing crisp slubby denim and a equally amazing cut.  I know the Charles Atlas is directed toward dudes with bigger legs but I actually have very skinny legs and these fit exactly how i want jeans to fit.  Left Field just keeps on doing what nobody else does which is why I keep coming back.   

Lots of nice Black Marias coming out of this contest already. Kudos! 

Here's a handful of shots of my non-contest pair. About 27months old. Washed probably 15-16 times. One hand-darn crotch repair and a recent set of admittedly unconventional patches to cover up tearing cuffs.

IMG_0552%252520copy.jpgIMG_0551%252520copy.jpgIMG_0547%252520copy.jpgIMG_0548%252520copy.jpgIMG_0549%252520copy.jpgIMG_0550%252520copy.jpg

Edited by MileHighEvertonian

I know the Charles Atlas is directed toward dudes with bigger legs but I actually have very skinny legs and these fit exactly how i want jeans to fit.  

I'd be interested to see how these look on you, if you have photos. I might be interested in grabbing a pair of those at some point

@crogers good to hear my man, glad you liked them. 

@milehigh looking really good, nice whiskers and back pocket fades.  Natural indigo is in my rotation not much in the fade dept. and very little stretch to note, which is unusual since the 13 oz and 14 has a descent amount. 

@frooshon we are in development working on a vintage looking jersey yarn based on a tee from the 50's hoping to get something out for  late spring.                                                                                                                                                                                                      Don't forget to send your Black Maria photos, pref on,  to [email protected] if you want them posted on instagram. 

@brennen wearing in nicely, the long cotton strands in this denim make a nice smooth grain,as well as an oily looking shine on mine

@pudas good to see the Nihon faded,  considering do more with that mill

For anyone posting on instagram please use #blackmariafadecontest we will take post into consideration for contest winners. Going to be  finally cutting the 18 oz Collect and a blk/blk 14 oz sulphur from Blue Selvedge Mills as well as some more restock in the 14 oz  black sulphur from Collect. We are offering a free navy tube tee, comb and bandanna to all participants for your support and enthusiasm. Pm us with your address and tee size. Send us some picts to post on instagram wearing them in your local habitat!  best, Christian

What's the reason you're adding a different 14oz sulphur black/black to your line?

I've decided I won't be staying any longer in Thailand and I'll be leaving soon after the semester ends. To commemorate my time here I got a Yantra tattoo, a traditional tattoo made by Buddhist monks and historically given to warriors with the belief that the mark will grant magical protection.

Here I am getting inked up! The monk uses a long metal rod, and repeatedly jabs the skin at about 120bpm. Very quick process, and less painful than a gun (in my experience).

F6pXm3Nl.jpg

Here's the result. My friend helped me choose this lotus flower. Since the monk had limited English, I sent a photo of the design to my supervisor and she said the design grants me immunity to weapons (but not women, she's a funny one). Enjoy the selvedge, ropes, and faint train-tracks!

RhR9joS.jpg?1

Link to a close up photo

Bonus photo of my taxi driver spontaneously getting one

Edited by brucenasty

@leftfield Really cool of you to be offering up those things for us! I'll take some action shots when I get through midterms this week. 

Also, just saw that instagram picture you guys put up with Lorenzo from Fun City. I actually got most of my work done at the shop he was at in Austin. When I was up in New York recently he blasted a skull on my shoulder. Super cool guy, let him know I said hello next time you see him!

@pizzacrust Thats a good fit man, they're looking great. I waiver back and forth between being happy with my more relaxed fit and wishing they were a bit tighter.

@bruce sweet tattoo. Great story behind it. Also the roping is lookin good.