Left Field Jeans

scotty2

How are you liking it? I've never owned a leather jacket before, and I'm thinking I'll make this my first one. I can't decide whether a medium or large will fit me better. 

I love it. The leather is very stiff. The large was too big for me, I went down to a medium. I'm a 41-42 in a jacket

@pizzacrust

I gotta try TCB sometime. their stuff looks good

@knucks

That jacket looks awesome!! Once I get my own motorcycle.. I'll pick up a leather jacket as well

@leftfield

For me, unsanforized denim adds a new dimension to jeans. I've had two experiences. The first one was a pair of Imperials. I sized correctly and the fit ended up perfect. They're my favorite pair. My second time did not go as well. I sized too small on a pair of Onis, and if I were to soak them they would be unwearable. They fit great right now, so I'm going to wear them with no soaks/washes and spot cleaning. I'd never think of wearing unsanforized jeans that haven't been shrunk but the one time I visited Blue Owl, Jay mentioned he wore his jeans this way (weird imo).

When I did it right, the whole process of unsanforized denim was very rewarding. The jeans molded to my body nicely, and the character of the denim is charactery. That said, I would say my plans for future pairs are about 50/50 unsanforized and sanforized; unsanforized denim is great but I wouldn't order it online again.

@itschrisb how's the chemex treating you? What kind of grinder do you have and what have you tried? Also what is your experience with pourover coffee/ coffee in general?

I've been getting more and more into the coffee scene the last 6 months or so and I love it! I couldn't join the /r/ rawdenim coffee exchange because I was too busy though. I would love to give suggestions, tips, or just shoot the shit about coffee!

Also you got a blowout already on the Black Maria's? or was that talking about a different pair?

Edited by mr.d

@knucks that's a bitching leather jacket. I've always been wanting a leather jacket for a while now, but it's currently way out of my budget as a student for the past 18 months. I hope I can afford one if I get a job during this summer!

Sorry for the barrage of replies. I've just been going through and trying to click the "quote" button when possible. This forum posting is new to me. I'll try to sort my replies and put them into one text next time. 

Doesn't look like much of a new years for me. I'm hoping to catch the last sunrise of 2015 in southern California and then the first sunrise of the 2016. I'm planning on getting a lift in and maybe making some sort of resolution/ goal list for the coming year. Some things off the top of my head is to get a teaching job, finish my Masters project, and go backpacking a lot this summer. Other than that I hope to just let the night go its way and see what happens. What are some of your guys' plans?

Have a safe and wonderful new year!

I wanted to update in the near future after the new years. Could anyone send me a link/directions or help me out with posting images within the post like some of you guys are able to do?

Thanks ya'll.

@knucks that's a bitching leather jacket. I've always been wanting a leather jacket for a while now, but it's currently way out of my budget as a student for the past 18 months. I hope I can afford one if I get a job during this summer!

wasn't exactly in my budget either but I sold a motorcycle a few months prior and kind of went full lowcog buying some clothing and bicycles

looks great knucks! thanks for purchasing one. 

@bruce does your unsanforized jeans stretch out too much though? Generally when then is a large shrink, plus 10% it will stretch back a large portion of that. Happy New Years to all Hope it's a happy and healthy one in 2016 and thanks for the continued support! 

Hi all. Just letting you all know that:

a.) I'm still in.

b.) I've worn my Black Maria Chelseas about 25 times.

c.) I have not gotten any noticeable fades yet to post any photos.

d.) I'm gonna still keep wearin' em' hard, but you dudes must be doin' some denim voodoo on yours to get the awesome fades you've gotten so far.

Edited by whiskeyriver

@ mr.d

teaching kids sounds like heaven and hell. i'm teaching high schoolers for only a semester. definitely not for me. once it's over i'm going to try my hand at private tutoring

@Left Field

my Imperials started out with plenty of room. after shrinking they were snug. stretched out to a perfect fit. didn't overstretch at all.

@whiskeyriver

gotta get more than 25 wears in buddy!

Hi all,

Slightly behind schedule with the three month update.  They are looking great, really starting to see some wear developing.  They fit great/feel great too!  I've still been getting at least 5 wears a week, so somewhere in the 60-70 day range I'd guess.  No washes or soaks....

PictRock%2B016.JPG

From the front.

PictRock%2B018.JPG

Top block- some wear on buttons, cell phone outline (yes, I still have a flip phone), whiskers.

PictRock%2B019.JPG

From behind.  I don't really carry anything in the rear pockets.

PictRock%2B024.JPG

Really like seeing the hardware wearing- this rivet is on the right pocket.  Love seeing the copper poking though!

PictRock%2B025.JPG

My belt has caused some burnishing to take place toward the bottom of the waist button.

PictRock%2B026.JPG

Close up of the area above the left pocket.  Seeing some distinctive wear there.  Note the copper on the rivet as well.

PictRock%2B012.JPG

Here's a deer I saw while running today.  We haven't gotten a ton of snow this year, but it's been pretty cold and what we have gotten is sticking around.

Enjoying seeing the photos from the rest of you.  Hope everyone had a nice holiday season and happy new year!

@mr.d Funny story the Chemex actually ended up getting backordered and the Hario Skerton grinder was damaged in the mail so all I was able to get on christmas was filters and 2 bags of Starbucks beans hahaha. I ended up snagging a Hario V60 though and have been using that for the past couple of weeks. The Chemex finally showed up but its sitting at my moms house. In general I dont have much experience with either system but im slowly learning the tricks. Im definitely open to any suggestions or anything. Feel free to send me a message or something id love to shoot the shit about coffee.

No update on my BM as their sitting in the closet with a crotch blow out.

@leftfield how do i go about sending them in for repair?

On a side not and Left Field related, i started welding classes a week ago. Ive been sporting my LF Forest Ranger Kerouac at school. Heres my go to uniform. Hat and jacket are required. I wish i went down 1 more size on the Kerouacs but I still love them!20160108_112624.jpg

@mr.d Funny story the Chemex actually ended up getting backordered and the Hario Skerton grinder was damaged in the mail so all I was able to get on christmas was filters and 2 bags of Starbucks beans hahaha. I ended up snagging a Hario V60 though and have been using that for the past couple of weeks. The Chemex finally showed up but its sitting at my moms house. In general I dont have much experience with either system but im slowly learning the tricks. Im definitely open to any suggestions or anything. Feel free to send me a message or something id love to shoot the shit about coffee.

No update on my BM as their sitting in the closet with a crotch blow out.

@leftfield how do i go about sending them in for repair?

On a side not and Left Field related, i started welding classes a week ago. Ive been sporting my LF Forest Ranger Kerouac at school. Heres my go to uniform. Hat and jacket are required. I wish i went down 1 more size on the Kerouacs but I still love them!20160108_112624.jpg

Is that an actual welding jacket?

@knucks yea its two layers of leather sewn together with the roughout side facing out. Its pretty awesome actually and am curious if there is anyone out there making nicer ones. This is just a mass produced made in china jacket.

I got the chance to stop by the shop last week. @leftfield, it was really great to meet you man. Getting to talk to you really made me appreciate your stuff even more than I already did, it was definitely one of the highlights of our trip. 

Here are some quick pictures that I snapped about two weeks ago.

T2io0rh.jpg?1

jbTN89Y.jpg?1

fpnArl4.jpg?1L2Qpult.jpg?2fd2doI9.jpg?1

And here is a fit pic with the car club jacket that's been perfect for the weather down here in Austin 

yb2dGkg.jpg?1

Another one featuring my old roommate at the PUNK magazine 40th anniversary exhibition that @leftfield let us know about

EylmOzq.jpg?1

anyone else working on black x blue greasers?  have about 90 wears on mine now.  I am starting to see something on them. Slow so far, but they are going to turn out really nice I think. 

Still a little disapointed with how poorly the rear pocket rivets are designed.  I think if they can't be done right they should just be deleted from future jeans.  They shouldn't be front style rivets put awkwardly on the back. It feels like they were just added to tack on a feature in a bullet list.

Edited by givemefive

If you've ever seen a pair of Japanese denim with hidden rivets you'll recognize these as awkward pretty quickly.  The most significant  demonstration to me was mizanation's double volante post http://supertalk.superfuture.com/index.php/topic/79002-so-im-having-a-pair-of-jeans-made/ but those photos are dead links unfortunately. Can see on any of his photos though how the rivet is positioned http://doublevolante.ti-da.net/e8303443.html  The correct rivets are flat and small so they don't instantly tear through the pocket and also don't bulk up the jean too much. The rivets LFNYC uses are the same as on the front. The position should also be as high up as possible so they actually reinforce the pocket where it is stressed. The LFNYC rivets appear to do nothing as they are so low.

I know I am being picky, but this is superdenim! I won't hold back on criticism.

WdXbog4.jpg
riSICOI.jpg
xNAj96D.jpg

Edited by givemefive