646 replies to this topic

#211 Analyst

Analyst

superbored

• Pip
  • 561 posts
  • joined 18 march 05

Posted 08 March 2007 - 03:50 AM

It seems to be the case with alot of non-Americans. I swear that 99% of the time, when I meet young foreigners traveling, their situation is that they work in a mediocre job for a year or so, quit, use the money to travel for as long as they can, then go back home and try to get another job. Repeat cycle. Crazy bastards..........

Most travelers I meet are mostly Australians, Kiwis, Japanese, Israeli or from Western Europe. It's more the exception rather than the rule to see Americans traveling, aside from youth tour groups (i.e., Pleasent Hill Baptist Church Missionary Tour 2005 with the t-shirt to boot) or senior citizens on buses.

#212 Hocus Pocus

Hocus Pocus

superjunkie2K

• PipPip
  • 2,495 posts
  • joined 26 february 07

Posted 19 March 2007 - 05:48 PM

I am going to buy a Eurorail pass for the month of August and I was wondering where you all would recommend. My friend and I are definitely going to Madrid, Barcelona, and Paris because we have family there to stay with. We aren't really looking to shop, but more visit the places with the most interesting culture and nightlife. Places where it's more affordable are prefered, as a month roaming around Europe can tax the bank account like the government.

We're probably also going to Croatia, and around that area because it's cheap and beautiful, or so I hear.

#213 Tisswat

Tisswat

superjunkie

• Pip
  • 1,877 posts
  • joined 25 september 04
  • style:none
  • attitude:hypnotized

Posted 19 March 2007 - 06:04 PM

Considering the cities you have already selected and the criteria you're mentioning, I'd add Amsterdam, Berlin, Prague, Budapest and Istanbul to your list.
In before waywt thread.

#214 swisloc

swisloc

superbored

• Pip
  • 455 posts
  • joined 15 september 05

Posted 19 March 2007 - 06:10 PM

croatia IS beautiful.

there have been many other similar topics, so you might try searching, but i'd say (to hopefully circumvent what would be a similar discussion to all others on this topic) if it's your 1st time in europe, don't rush, hit the bigger/more historic cities (think Barcelona, Paris, Rome, Berlin, Amsterdam and spend some time getting to know them (you will not be disapointed). 1st timers have a tendency to try to hit as many places as possible, but this is not the best way to get to know cities with such complex history.

that said, august is a very tough month to do this. many countries (like France and Italy) require employers to give over a month of vacation time which most take during this month (i.e. the locals will be on vacation), making the some cities ghost towns left only to tourists. plus it's HOT in spain and italy in august. like, REALLY hot. maybe stay in northern europe for this trip, given the timeframe?

#215 polishmike

polishmike

postwhore

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,747 posts
  • joined 30 may 06

Posted 19 March 2007 - 06:18 PM

Go to Krakow and Budapest. You can also stop in Prague on the way.

#216 Hocus Pocus

Hocus Pocus

superjunkie2K

• PipPip
  • 2,495 posts
  • joined 26 february 07

Posted 19 March 2007 - 06:24 PM

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

This is not my first time to Europe, but my first time really exploring Europe on my own terms. I am going to Amsterdam, Budapest, Prague, and Paris a month from now, and I've been to France before. I think I am probably avoiding Germany, Italy, and Turkey, because they require their own month devoted to them.

#217 swisloc

swisloc

superbored

• Pip
  • 455 posts
  • joined 15 september 05

Posted 19 March 2007 - 07:02 PM

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

This is not my first time to Europe, but my first time really exploring Europe on my own terms. I am going to Amsterdam, Budapest, Prague, and Paris a month from now, and I've been to France before. I think I am probably avoiding Germany, Italy, and Turkey, because they require their own month devoted to them.

ok, sorry, different story entirely then. croatia and slovenia are really beautiful, albania is supposed to be the next big adriatic destination (has anyone been?)...

#218 polishmike

polishmike

postwhore

• 5,747 posts
  • joined 30 may 06

Posted 19 March 2007 - 07:08 PM

I've been to Albania few years ago. It's still a poor country so unless you like some extreme tourism I would just go to Croatia.
I would also go to Prague only for 2-3 days and stay longer in Budapest. It's full of british drunks unless you know good local spots. Krakow is getting there too so visit soon. Plus it's still pretty cheap.

#219 Tisswat

Tisswat

superjunkie

• Pip
  • 1,877 posts
  • joined 25 september 04

Posted 19 March 2007 - 07:12 PM

Croatia and Albania share the same climate as northern Italy and southern Italy respectively. Something to bear in mind if you're worried about the summer temperatures in august.
In before waywt thread.

#220 jdat

jdat

bored

• Pip
  • 28 posts
  • joined 13 june 05

Posted 19 March 2007 - 10:53 PM

I say hit some of the atlantic coast towns in France as you will be sure to have a great time.

La Rochelle which has the biggest number of sunlight hours per year in all of France would be my number one suggestion.
Beautiful historical city, great people who love to party, nice beaches etc.
You could also check out the islands which are right outside the city but they are bit flooded with tourists during the summer ( Ré connected by bridge to La Rochelle and Oleron 45 minutes down south ). The Isle d'Aix is really small and a great place to chill for a day.

Then you could go to Bordeaux
there's also the famous beach cities like Biarritz ( the Nice city equivalent on the atlantic coast ).

#221 Kasper

Kasper

superjunkie

• Pip
  • 1,838 posts
  • joined 09 january 06

Posted 19 March 2007 - 11:12 PM

i wouldn't bother going all the way to croatia by train though, it's the hip destination of the moment so catching a ryanair/easy jet flight should be pretty easy and cheap. if you are only gonna be there for a month, i would try to limit the ground you gonna be covering, it always end up taking more time than you expected and you don't want to spend like 20% of your trip in a train...

#222 Agent Orange

Agent Orange

superbored

• Pip
  • 563 posts
  • joined 28 february 07

Posted 19 March 2007 - 11:48 PM

i know most of the balkan and slovenia imo is alot nicer than crotia if your not only interested in beaches. i would also rather go to belgrad in serbia than to albania, or even to bulgaria. sofia is an awesome city and the coast at the black sea is beautiful. my ex was from serbia, the current one is from bulgaria, thats why i know these places. ive never been to istanbul but it is said to be really nice.

but since you have only a month and a eurail pass, and you want to see a'dam, paris, barcelona (i love that city!) and madrid - dont go to prague or other cities in eastern europe. a month is simply not enough and travelling by train does take a lot more time in countries other than de, fr, uk, it (cheap flights to these locations are rarely avaiable). id rather spend more time in southern france (jdats tips are good), maybe suizerland and southern germany or italy. prague is also hyped way too much, even berlin or a scandinavian city would be a better choice. :)

#223 faust

faust

superbored

• Pip
  • 488 posts
  • joined 06 june 06

Posted 20 March 2007 - 02:51 PM

Considering the cities you have already selected and the criteria you're mentioning, I'd add Amsterdam, Berlin, Prague, Budapest and Istanbul to your list.

2nd. can't go wrong with any of those - Prague is like walking in a fairy tale (full of tourists, but what can you do).
http://fashion-critic.blogspot.com
Last update June-13, 2007

#224 Agent Orange

Agent Orange

superbored

• Pip
  • 563 posts
  • joined 28 february 07

Posted 21 March 2007 - 02:33 PM

adding istanbul to the cities you wanna visit when you only got a month is just stupid. its a common mistake, most travelling americans i met had a real bad sense for distances in europe. its ok if you can afford to fly, otherwise, you'll not only spend lots of money but also time on buses and trains. and faust is right, the center of prague is crowded with tourists, worse than amsterdam in the summer. if you are going to prague, dont go to Karlovy lázně, no matter how much you heard or read about it. its simply shitty and definetely not worth it.

#225 Tisswat

Tisswat

superjunkie

• Pip
  • 1,877 posts
  • joined 25 september 04

Posted 21 March 2007 - 03:24 PM

(...) worse than amsterdam in the summer

Sounds like you didn't get out of the red light district / Warmoesstraat area much. ;)

I'd like to add to the whole discussion that the appeal of travelling by train is partly in the travelling itself. Sure, I would fly to Istanbul too, but for some the whole 'roadtrip' experience of travelling by train can be one of the highlights of the journey itself.
In before waywt thread.

#226 baladoongdoong

baladoongdoong

superbored

• Pip
  • 341 posts
  • joined 14 march 07
  • talents:Shopping, photography, design

Posted 21 March 2007 - 03:24 PM

OMG!!! Prague is cool, vienna too but BUDAPEST!!! OH MY BUDA 'FOOKIN' PEST!!! Thats one COOL place u should go! and try out the Szechenyi baths! Absolute MUST!

Night spots go to B6 or Old man's pub. Best places ever for a good night's out!!!
:mad: :P ;) :) :o :D :( :rolleyes: :eek: :cool:

Thinkin' 'bout the robbery that I did last week.
Money in the bag, banker looked like a drag
I want to play with pelicans from here to Baghdad
Gun blast, think fast, I think I'm hit
My girl pinched my hips to see if I still exist.
I think not, I'll send a letter to my friends,
A born again hooligan only to be king again.

#227 baladoongdoong

baladoongdoong

superbored

• Pip
  • 341 posts
  • joined 14 march 07
  • talents:Shopping, photography, design

Posted 21 March 2007 - 03:25 PM

germany's Berlin n Munich is pretty good as well. Not forgetting the 'free' tours u can get!!! payment is like up to u so u could be anal n not pay man! lol...
:mad: :P ;) :) :o :D :( :rolleyes: :eek: :cool:

Thinkin' 'bout the robbery that I did last week.
Money in the bag, banker looked like a drag
I want to play with pelicans from here to Baghdad
Gun blast, think fast, I think I'm hit
My girl pinched my hips to see if I still exist.
I think not, I'll send a letter to my friends,
A born again hooligan only to be king again.

#228 Agent Orange

Agent Orange

superbored

• Pip
  • 563 posts
  • joined 28 february 07

Posted 22 March 2007 - 12:21 AM

Sounds like you didn't get out of the red light district / Warmoesstraat area much. ;)

kind of true ;)
amsterdam was only 2,5 hours from where i used to live, and ive been there a couple of times. but the only time i was there in summer was with a couple of friends who where kind of smoking maniacs and we got stuck in the center and the streets where crowded with british and americans. i remember sleeping in the car in some underground garage that night because we couldnt (and where too lazy to) find a place to sleep.

its true that travelling itself is part of the experience, but a month time isnt much and really limits your possibilities.

i also remember pragues center as somehow artificial (similar to the real center berlin, on the former gdr territory), and although amsterdam is touristic, its somehow different - but maybe thats just my impression :)

aarg im drunk

#229 Pogi

Pogi

superbored

• Pip
  • 853 posts
  • joined 19 january 07
  • talents:Fashion, food, fantastic.

Posted 22 March 2007 - 12:43 AM

Amsterdam, Berlin, Munich, Zurich, Prague and Florence.

Those were some of the cities I went through in a short 3 week stint in Europe.
Fight the stereotype. Don't be an Idiot. :P

#230 Tiranis

Tiranis

superjunkie

• Pip
  • 1,100 posts
  • joined 06 december 06

Posted 22 March 2007 - 04:47 AM

Prague and Vienna. (and London, which is kind of obvious)
Couldn't care less about the rest.

(And yes, I'm biased cause I lived there...)

#231 englandmj7

englandmj7

postwhore

• 5,817 posts
  • joined 28 july 05

Posted 28 March 2007 - 07:17 PM

Not too far around the bend..........

Where are you planning on going to?

Me:
Cancun/Playa Del Carmen/Tulum in May. Not a huge Mexico fan (for vacationing that is), but hell, I got free tickets.

#232 swisloc

swisloc

superbored

• Pip
  • 455 posts
  • joined 15 september 05

Posted 28 March 2007 - 07:36 PM

california (san francisco, napa, and LA) - end of may

penobscot bay, maine - middle august

this year is about saving money to buy property, so i'm going light on the vacations.

#233 champagne_bubblebath

champagne_bubblebath

superbored

• Pip
  • 296 posts
  • joined 29 june 05

Posted 28 March 2007 - 08:06 PM

I travel during the winter (here in the U.S) and go somewhere below the equator where it's summer-ry. Cheaper and less tourist. Last winter, travelled to Argentina.

#234 corporategrunt

corporategrunt

superbored

• Pip
  • 271 posts
  • joined 06 november 06

Posted 28 March 2007 - 08:09 PM

Japan to see parents, relatives, and friends, trying to combine it with visiting a friend in HK, then short trip to Thailand. Can't do it in middle of the summer though - In any of the three locations, summer travel is too brutal, i'd melt. Hopefully in September when things cool of a bit.

Negotiating with bosses and superiors is gonna be a biatch. I miss being in school and having long vacations.

#235 cuddlysheep

cuddlysheep

superfreak

• PipPipPip
  • 3,448 posts
  • joined 02 january 07

Posted 28 March 2007 - 08:19 PM

japan + thailand sounds ideal.

#236 Haz

Haz

semibored

• Pip
  • 92 posts
  • joined 22 june 06

Posted 28 March 2007 - 08:57 PM

Phillippines for 5 weeks.

staying here

www.villapacific.co.uk

Niceness!!!

#237 rayjr

rayjr

bored

• Pip
  • 27 posts
  • joined 10 december 06
  • biography:...

Posted 28 March 2007 - 09:03 PM

Copenhagen in may

Thailand and Bali in august

#238 englandmj7

englandmj7

postwhore

• 5,817 posts
  • joined 28 july 05

Posted 28 March 2007 - 09:05 PM

Phillippines for 5 weeks.

staying here

www.villapacific.com

Niceness!!!

So you're going to be in the Phillipinnes, but your hotel is in Maui, Hawaii.

That's going to be quite the daily commute.

#239 Haz

Haz

semibored

• Pip
  • 92 posts
  • joined 22 june 06

Posted 28 March 2007 - 09:53 PM

yeah damn that one, that would be one hell of a commute!!!

www.villapacific.co.uk

#240 cuddlysheep

cuddlysheep

superfreak

• PipPipPip
  • 3,448 posts
  • joined 02 january 07

Posted 28 March 2007 - 10:37 PM

yeah man, its about 6-7 hour commute from hawaii i think.maybe less..

So you're going to be in the Phillipinnes, but your hotel is in Maui, Hawaii.

That's going to be quite the daily commute.