Are These Japanese Jeans Worth $800?

rakis

i still think studio d'artisan was before evisu, though.

Yup, far before Evisu was Studio d'Artisan and Dry Bones.

SDA's are from the 70's right? Dry bones is new to me..

Both Dry Bones and SDA were started in early 80's and the established themselves as a full brand by the early late 80's..

What does it have to do with jeans? If you look at the average price of really decent quality raw Japanese selvage jeans (Denime, Sugarcane, Samurai, Evisu Japan No. 2, Full Count, Dry Bones), it averages around 20,000 yen. That's about $170. Paying more than that gets you exotic stuff like natural indigo, limited editions, super slubby denim, etc. So my proposition is that unless you're into all that, there's no need to pay much more than $170 (plus whatever shipping, tax, fees, etc), and there are a lot of great jeans in that category for considerably less.

Edited by frideswide on Mar 27, 2006 at 12:12 PM

amen. i think in general this is a good way to think of it...

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

If you don't say anything maybe he will bring up some realllllly old threads. There is some funny shit out there. Maybe I will pull up some of my old threads that make me look like a noob.

" They also wove the cotton into denim on a type of mechanical loom that had been sitting in factory basements in Okayama, the country's weaving capital, since the seventies."

At last someone's done their research properly.

At the same time, there's something majorly depressing about people getting so obsessive about a form of clothing which has NEVER been about exclusivity. It makes jeans into just another item where more expensive is better. If your jeans look good, cool, but the moment it turns into a display of wealth, that becomes a horrible contradiction. As one shrink pointed out on the radio rather brilliantly last week, such consumerism leads to depression and a sense of helplessness...

I went back and read this thread. Paul has got some good shit in this post.