Beatle x Sidney – SE x IH 07 overdye – The Black Year(s)

sidneylo

I guess what is throwing me off a little are the pics of lowrider's overdyed IH's that look like normal indigo jeans now. I expected the transition from black to indigo to white to be a little more gradual, but it seems the high abrasion areas go from black to white pretty quickly. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to take away from Beatle's pair at all as they have great fades and show great wear (I tried to rep but apparently I need to spread), I was simply noting that the fading characteristic of her pair was interesting

Lowrider's overdyes, copied from WAYWT (denim version)

5010064475_a74b7b4552_z.jpg

5010065883_437ddaf1ba_z.jpg

I guess what is throwing me off a little are the pics of lowrider's overdyed IH's that look like normal indigo jeans now. I expected the transition from black to indigo to white to be a little more gradual, but it seems the high abrasion areas go from black to white pretty quickly. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to take away from Beatle's pair at all as they have great fades and show great wear (I tried to rep but apparently I need to spread), I was simply noting that the fading characteristic of her pair was interesting

the processes are completely different. my interpretation is that typical overdyes are dipped and it eventually wears off, whereas on the SEXIH07, the dye is more or less "tattooed" into the denim somehow and eventually wears out.

i would like to get some more info from kiya on the specific process used on these, if available, because it's some kind of alchemy.

Congrats beatle! The jeans look amazing.

I just got back from San Francisco so I didn't have time to shoot on the 18th (or the camera and computer, anyhow). Since today is snow day here in Brooklyn, I'll shoot them right now! Woo.

Just sayin...

I'm receiving a vision from the future:

It's a bit fuzzy, but... wait... it's a store-front window, under a blue awning, somewhere near a lot of Mexican food and fixed-gear bicycles in San Francisco. It's December 2010.

I see... two mannequins, face to face. Both are topped by shaggy-fashionable wigs... but one is blonde and the other black. The mannequins' arms are crossed, faux-body language communicating clear but friendly opposition to one another.

Adorning their lower halves are some seriously tore-up, once-black-now-black&blue, similar-but-different denims

And crowds of denimnerds clustering around clutching beer (or soda-pop) cans, rejoicing.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...