What are your jeans doing today?

ninetynine

Today my jeans found out I will be spending 3 months this summer in New York learning mandarin, then the next 2 years living in Beijing...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Too much shit going on to comprehend right now. Damn.

Today my jeans found out I will be spending 3 months this summer in New York learning mandarin, then the next 2 years living in Beijing...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That sounds awesome! Are you learning to speak and write, or just speak Mandarin?

I'm going to Beijing this summer, haha

holy fuck!! you gonna be in asia! lots of new material to shoot in beijing my friend! but then again perhaps we wont see you on sufu anymore knowing how the chinese government is with the internet.

holy fuck!! you gonna be in asia! lots of new material to shoot in beijing my friend! but then again perhaps we wont see you on sufu anymore knowing how the chinese government is with the internet.

That is not true. I am in Beijing right now studying and look where i am: on sufu!

Thank god. Lol. Are you able to use flickr normally? That's one of my big fears, as it looks like it went down in 2009. As well as my wordpress blog...I read that wordpress is blocked? Sorry I actually have a ton of questions. I'm gonna PM you.....

great news there Z...congrats on this one and on the show from a few days ago! how was it?

Paul T - great pics there mate, though almost everyone with an iphone is using the hipstamatic app :)

Max_P - nice tattoo there mate!

and to all the others...keep it up! loving to see all those pics in here...

Can't wait to see what you and your camera can come up with in NY and China. Congrats Z!

That sounds awesome! Are you learning to speak and write, or just speak Mandarin?

I'm going to Beijing this summer, haha

Not sure yet. all I know is its 3 months of 8 hours a day, 5 days a week...

Congratulations -Z-!! I know the feeling and it's quite a thrill! Wow.

Still waiting to hear back about the book though ;)

^I'll get back at you about that later today dkatz. been so busy I forgot!

oh, and it looks like I'm going to be staying in Tribeca while I'm in NYC...if anybody (joelz, lando) has any info on the neighborhood it would be much appreciated, hell i've only got a month before I'm there...

ON my travels, stopped in at Liberty of London. They've just launched a new denim department, open one month - the assistant, who was reasonably helpful, told me this was "the first department working with heritage clothing in London."

This, the basement section, has always been a bit olde-worlde. And there is of course an irony implicit in a swanky department store hosting such blue-collar clothing, with fake wear, augmented with expensive working men's ephemera.

Still, an attractive RRL department. As ever, their washes are very impressive.

RRLfirst.jpg

RRL1.jpg

This jacket is a tribute to the early lee Prestige 101.

RRLjacket.jpg

As with so much stuff, this looks heavily influenced by Mr Freedom, in this case of their denim tote, which has similar leather straps and a clip on long strap for hanging from the shoulder. No wonder Christophe has changed direction.

RRL2.jpg

The chinos are not dissimilar to the Made and Crafted. Photo was a bit snatched - I asked to take photos of the hunter's waistcoat (again, very MF, or Rising Sun-influenced), and was told I couldn't. So I just snapped the other stuff...

RRL3.jpg

And a good range of LVC, too, altho based mostly around the Rough Rinse, without all of the good new flannels and duck items.

LVC.jpg

They also stock JEan Shop, a fair amount of SDA (103XX, Chore jacket, sweartshirts), PRPS and Edwin.

Huh? AFAIR, the Prestige was described by a aJapanese mag as carrying the 101J code, atlho Joe at Lee described it as a different model. But thanks for the correction if that's what it was.

It was, ( a reference to an early conversation about the whole 101/401 moniker on the Leepro thread. Went on for ages. Fardin was in too)

Thanks for posting. The finish is kind of meh, but I do like the cut and especially like the positioning of the pocket (being slightly lower as many type 1's were).

Nice to see a 1930's Lee 101J repro with the correct leather tag (like the 1930 101B patch?). I bet one of those leather tags doesn't even exist on an original. They are Soo rare

They also stock JEan Shop, a fair amount of SDA (103XX, Chore jacket, sweartshirts), PRPS and Edwin.

Hey Paul T, would you remember how much they were selling the 103xx and sweats for?

Cheers!

A subset cross-post from the ROY X CONE contest, 1.1.11 - 2.1.12 thread:

Homegirl's been back West in Masaka for the past couple weeks, and will remain there for the coming month or two (ranon - slight commiseration at least?), so I decided to go visit last weekend. Striking out from dirty, gritty Kampala.

Some interestingly overtly-displayed heavy police machinery on Mityana roundabout. I imagine a bit of an intimidation-investment to ensure no one tries to get Egyptian/Tunisian(/Libyan?) with their lingering frustration after the elections.

IMG_1093.jpg

Stopped to document the ROYxCones crossing the equator (North to South). A couple kids came screaming (figuratively and literally) out of a nearby shop hollering "MUZUNGU MUZUNGU MUZUNGU". I wasn't quite in the mood for being a play-thing, so I ignored them. They followed me as a set my camera on the spare tire of my car and posed away. Resulted in a few pretty funny photos of my ass posing and the kids looking perplexed. Crazy damn bazungu always doing crazy damn bazungu-things.

IMG_1098.jpg

Some papier mache masks that bear startling resemblances to almostnice and pault, eh?

IMG_1114.jpg

Back on the road. A regular feature: police check-points. What usually happens the 10% of the time I'm actually stopped at these is the cop makes some slight show of "checking" (poking my backpack on the front seat, opening my glove compartment, etc), and then promptly asks "do you have airtime/soda/water for me?". In other words "give me money 'cause I'm a cop and I have an effing big gun". Fortunately I've never had any of them do/say anything more than "you want me to die of thirst?" when I decline.

IMG_1119.jpg

Looking forward to this road being finished...

IMG_1121.jpg

The hawkers in lab coats (why lab coats?) descend.

IMG_1134.jpg

Homegirl had left some fabric with a tailor in Kampala, which I brought to her and immediately made her try it on. She swears she'll never wear the two pieces concurrently again... we'll see about that!

IMG_1144.jpg

Saturday morning did some work, then headed out to Lake Nabugabu for a bit of R&R. Pretty beautiful out there

IMG_1147.jpg

IMG_1163.jpg

Practicing at being less of a grownup

IMG_1166.jpg

We had done all the prep to cook burgers when the power went out. Homegirl - and I will never understand why - opted for an electric cook-top. Damnit.

So we got creative

IMG_1173.jpg

A dozen tea-lights and a couple tuna-cans later - BINGO. Cooked those suckers NO problem!

Nothing like a nice candle-lit candle-cooked dinner!

IMG_1189.jpg

Sunday. The locals were restless.

IMG_1192.jpg

Infrastructure. Homegirl "taking out the trash" while the trash-attendants look on.

IMG_1195.jpg