edc [everyday carry] shaved my wife

branespload

I understand that. I carry around an Embassy or at bare min a space pen. But im talking $150 leather pouches/rolls with all kinds of fancy pens, pencils, sharpeners and erasers and fancy leather notebooks. Again, not bashing just curious if we have THAT many engineers/architects on here of if its one of those things were one kid is going to engineer school and posts his fancy stuff and then the next thing you know 10 people in the thread are walking around with $300 in writing utensils.

My buddy actually has one year left of engineer school and still only carries a cheap ass pencil and a bic pen. To each there own I guess...

BTW, Where the hell are the pictures of all the new gear 35?

pretty much the same reason you buy any expensive shit, the higher quality means you often enjoy using it more and it will last longer. get a nice leather pencil case or whatever and it will last you forever. i do urban planning which means quite a bit of drafting and axiometric drawing, but even if i didn't i would still get the same stuff.

i wouldn't actually be surprised if a lot of people here do architecture/engineering/art or design anyway.

decided i am going to design and build my first folding knife

going with a Ti Framelock, most likely handrubbed scotchbrite finish or stonewashed (depending if i can find the proper gear)

carbon fiber (blacksite marbled) scales with Ti. bolsters...

3.75-4.0 blade length, going to go with lum style tanto, with the hollow ground belly and convex tip...but i am also not opposed to zero ground (a la emerson cqc6) or a simple hollow grind...most definitely want to go with a "fin" at the top (swedge)...want it to be snodyesque if you will

large lanyard hole (even though i dont really use em anymore) ... i really wanted to do a flipper but there is much i still have to learn so that will have to wait

i have a high quality drill press, milling machine, grinder, dremel and lathe...other than a CNC machine, i cant think of anything else i would really need...maybe some new belts for the grinder and a heat treat oven...but that is further down the line...many of the collets / bits for the various machines I have access to...

blade steeeeeeeeeel - trying to decide between a 1095 carbon steel (hamon FTW) but i would also be interested in something such as D2, S30v, 154cm etc....s90 is tempting but i dont think i have enough expertise to grind out an s90v blade...most likely will go for s30v / s35vn...will get it heat treated out of 'shop'

if anyone has any thing they would like to add...by all means

I understand that. I carry around an Embassy or at bare min a space pen. But im talking $150 leather pouches/rolls with all kinds of fancy pens, pencils, sharpeners and erasers and fancy leather notebooks. Again, not bashing just curious if we have THAT many engineers/architects on here of if its one of those things were one kid is going to engineer school and posts his fancy stuff and then the next thing you know 10 people in the thread are walking around with $300 in writing utensils.

My buddy actually has one year left of engineer school and still only carries a cheap ass pencil and a bic pen. To each there own I guess...

BTW, Where the hell are the pictures of all the new gear 35?

it might sound silly but i feel more productive when working with comfortable pens and paper. i hate feeling whatever surface is below a sheet of paper so i always use legal pads. i prefer graph paper as well but when i found rhodia dotpads, i never looked back.

handwritingy.jpg

people always think it's blank paper from afar and then ask me if the dots are for when i scan it into my computer. i found them at a local stationary store for $7 which isn't terrible.

i really wish i had something like the kuru toga pencil growing up though. i remember having to use sandpaper to get my wooden pencils comfortable enough to write with. if anybody else had to practice chinese characters growing up, i'm sure you can relate.

as for pens? i have been using the same lamy safari and the same bottle of ink for the past year. i haven't remembered the last time i bought a pen. people will ask to borrow a pen from me but when they find out it's a fountain pen, they just give it back. not loaning out my pen means i don't lose it.

i realized when i was 16 that i didn't lose things anymore. might as well invest in quality...

also, dotpads are great for playing the 'box game'

so while looking for a small edc knife, I got interested in the CRKT shrimp, but I've found some not so positive reviews about it, any of you guys have any experiences with it?

is the pazoda better?

or do you guys have another suggestion that's about the same size as the CRKT shrimp, with a clip...

yesterday this girl was complaining that her hand was hurting from trying to cut down some cardboard with scissors so like any modern gentleman would i cut it for her with my knife

and never spoke to her again

shouldve just busted out a dot pad

^ dragonfly II

is it much superior to the CRKT shrimp?

also, don't think I can track one down over here and I'm not sure if getting a knife sent to me by post is a good idea...

does Gerber have something similar in size, might be able to find that locally

yesterday this girl was complaining that her hand was hurting from trying to cut down some cardboard with scissors so like any modern gentleman would i cut it for her with my knife

and never spoke to her again

shouldve just busted out a dot pad

why you helpin' homeless bitches make huts?

IMHO, spyderco is way, wayyy better than CRKT.

i get my knives off the internet alll the time. it's a lot cheaper than buying them in-store, too. stores usually sell them at manufacture price..

so true REI and other outdoor stores charge RAPE prices for knives, the internet is the only way to go.

so true REI and other outdoor stores charge RAPE prices for knives, the internet is the only way to go.

any online shop suggestions?

dunno if it's best to stick to european stores or not, don't want to go trough crap with customs if I import a knife...

not sure actually, they sell opinels over here, so I don't think so...

the dragonfly does look more fragile then the CRKT shrimp to me but maybe that's just an impression.

I also considered Gerber cause that's easy to get locally also.

But they don't seem to have anything with a closed length of 60-80mm, wich is my ideal setup.

the spyderco website is a nightmare to work with btw...

over here it's not well known, so I was looking for some more info

I figured what the hell and just took the plunge, ordered a dragonfly 2 from spyderco.com

lets hope all goes well with customs and ish, the youtube review on the dragonfly and robin wheeled me in... :o

I figured what the hell and just took the plunge, ordered a dragonfly 2 from spyderco.com

lets hope all goes well with customs and ish, the youtube review on the dragonfly and robin wheeled me in... :o

A little late but eBay dude! You get them half the price there.

You won't regret buying it!