edc [everyday carry] shaved my wife

branespload

I've been hunting down the best sub 800$ flipper and I think I've narrowed it down to:

Brad Southard AWT (with the milled back spacer and beefy clip)

Todd Begg Glimpse V.2

Allen Elishewitz most recent competition knife with Button lock and flipper

Dave Martin Fusion

I'm looking for the smoothest flicking knife with no blade play whatsoever. The Les Vorhees Model 11 is a runner up but I don't feel as confident with the lock up.

If anyone has some input, let me know what you think! I had to forget about Kerry Lambert and RJ Martin simply because of how incredibly busy they are. Also, Allen is probably chopped because he isn't planning on doing a batch of left handed knives any time soon. :(

what's that in the middle of your iPhone screen?

this came in the mail today, I'm impressed, thinking bout ordering a second one with a plain edge, probably gonna go with the new ZDP-189 blade version, anyone know if the ZDP-189 steel is really superior to VG-10 steel?

172984c4.jpg

what's that in the middle of your iPhone screen?

this came in the mail today, I'm impressed, thinking bout ordering a second one with a plain edge, probably gonna go with the new ZDP-189 blade version, anyone know if the ZDP-189 steel is really superior to VG-10 steel?

The difference isn't worth buying the exact same knife to get the other steel but from what I've read, it's got a slight edge over VG-10. (pun sort of intended...)

VG-10 is pretty much the best steel quality/value wise.

ZDP-189 can get sharper but it's more brittle.

It's basically D2.

ZDP is very nice but it depends on the geometry of the blade and how it's sharpened. My friend loves his ZDP stretch, and has a lot of high end steels.

I'd recommend you get a plain edge version as SE is much more tricky to sharpen.

definitely going with a plain edge, as far as blade geometry and how it's sharpened goes, well it's a dragonfly2...

I also asked spyderco for some info about the ZDP-189 compared to the VG-10, their answer:

"ZDP-189 has 3% carbon which makes the steel harder and in turn furthers its edge retention capacity. This means that you will not have to sharpen as frequently compared to VG-10. The draw back on this steel is once it starts to dull, it can take a little longer to sharpen. Also because of its high carbon contact, you will want to make sure that if it gets wet that you dry it off well to prevent rust.

still not sure what to go with, ZDP or VG-10

rust isn't an issue I guess, I also have a plain old steel Opinel, that rusts, but it's still hella sharp...

so the question is, does edge retention outweigh the fact that's it's less easy to sharpen and if ZDP is brittle, does that mean VG-10 is a better choice when you think about durability?

for those that clip their keys on their belt-loop....doesn't the constant jingling annoy you?

I actually clip them to my belt loop, then put them in my front or back pocket, the RM key case things also solve that issue I guess...

definitely going with a plain edge, as far as blade geometry and how it's sharpened goes, well it's a dragonfly2...

I also asked spyderco for some info about the ZDP-189 compared to the VG-10, their answer:

"ZDP-189 has 3% carbon which makes the steel harder and in turn furthers its edge retention capacity. This means that you will not have to sharpen as frequently compared to VG-10. The draw back on this steel is once it starts to dull, it can take a little longer to sharpen. Also because of its high carbon contact, you will want to make sure that if it gets wet that you dry it off well to prevent rust.

still not sure what to go with, ZDP or VG-10

rust isn't an issue I guess, I also have a plain old steel Opinel, that rusts, but it's still hella sharp...

so the question is, does edge retention outweigh the fact that's it's less easy to sharpen and if ZDP is brittle, does that mean VG-10 is a better choice when you think about durability?

i don't have any zdp blades but unless you are ready to drop a lot of cash on various sharpening stones, stick with vg-10

it is an awesome steel, and easy to maintain on just a medium/fine arkansas stone