Slim fit minimalist clothing?

madgrad

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hahhaa props minya

nice pick up on both of those jeans, looking good.

Djflame- I totally agree with you. most girls haven't a clue about any of the most popular stuff on ST,

got a few compliments on my RRDS from some girls at a party the other night, but only cause they work in a store that sells them and so know a bit about it.

nairb49

Quote:

Ok, I went down to the denimbar store in Arlington. Excellent selection, helpful staff,great prices too. Picked up a pair of Acne Mics and APC Cure.

Mic in roadwash:

jeans0027zq.jpg

Cure:

jeans0091ht.jpg

Sorry about the crappy image quality, trying to take photos of yourself kind of sucks. Also, the Cures are the single most uncomfortable piece of clothing I have ever worn in my entire life. I didn't think I was going to be able to button the damn things. I have to let them stretch for a few minutes before I could do the top button, then I had to suck in my stomach and I don't even *have* a damn stomach. Also I don't think I'll be able to have children.

On the up side, I can't wait to see what they will look like in six months when I was them, and they are already breaking in nicely. I slept in them last night, so the waist is still tight but I think I at least have some circulation back into my legs.

--- Original message by madgrad on Jan 25, 2006 07:24 AM

i think the fit on that is not bad for you actually, nice job picking grad.

-don't hate, appreciate-

Quote:

Well now that I've got the jeans, I need to find shoes that go with it. Minya suggested some Jack Purcells to me, I've found a pair that I really like:

http://tinyurl.com/abqa2

Any other recomendations? I'd like to get a pair of casual sneakers like those and perhaps something more classy/formal if I want to dress the jeans up alittle. I've got a decent pair of motorcycle style boots that I just picked up from Aldo, so I've got the boot thing covered. What would be a good pair of moderately priced shoes to go with those jeans? By moderate I mean under 150, I don't want to kill my entire budget at once.

One more question: What's the opinion on American Apparel clothing? I love the way their t-shirts fit and was looking at a fleece track jacket on their website that looked pretty nice.

http://www.americanapparelstore.com/5455.html#

That one in cranberry/white to be exact

I apologize for turning this into a "please for the love of god dress me" thread, but I am taking everyone's advice to heart and thank you all for the contributions!

--- Original message by madgrad on Jan 25, 2006 08:46 AM

American Apparel is pretty well liked here and for good reasons (great basics for slim people) but there has been some criticism as to how they hold up over time. I've got some tees that are few years old and they look fine so I wouldn't worry too much....

I wouldn't splurge too much on shoes since the shape/details you like might vary. Since you've picked slim and tappered jeans just remember to go for slick/slim shoes (converse, vans slip-on, pumas, retro-adidas) unless you're going for some sort of weird effect (AF1 + cure = cool imho but not everyone goes for that and it's definitely not minimalist). As for dressier shoes unless there's an urgent need I'd wait and splurge on something expensive (on sale, ebay) and classic that will last you a long time (C&J, Edward Green or for something less expensive Allen Edmond) that way the shoes will double as your go-to shoes when you have to wear a suit.

heheh, madgrad, you have no idea what you're getting into with ST...

djflame-totally agree. whatever nicole richie or the olsen twins are sporting seems to cause a wave of panic to pick up the next big trend. from sevens to papers to notify to citizens and all the way around.

everytime i walk around campus, the number of gigantic bug sunglasses, ugg boots, big green leather bags and anything tiffany &co. astounds me.

nairb49

I'm also gonna have to plug American Apparel here. It is slim fit, minimalist clothing to a "T". But I too am seeming to have some quality issues with the product. Perhaps it's beacause it's made by lazy Americans wanting to get home. Better than Indonesian 13 year olds I suppose. Anyways hit up:

http://www.americanapparel.net/ For some descent stuff. Polos, T's, Hoodies (One of my favorites), Thermals, Jackets, Vests, and anything else made from cotton or polyester.

A little on the spendy side...but with minimum wage being so high...I guess it's gonna cost a bit more to have Americans make your clothing.

Edited by WhoGotMeIntoThis on Jan 27, 2006 at 11:36 AM

Guest Fade to Black
Quote:

I'm also gonna have to plug American Apparel here. It is slim fit, minimalist clothing to a "T". But I too am seeming to have some quality issues with the product. Perhaps it's beacause it's made by lazy Americans wanting to get home. Better than Indonesian 13 year olds I suppose. Anyways hit up:

http://www.americanapparel.net/ For some descent stuff. Polos, T's, Hoodies (One of my favorites), Thermals, Jackets, Vests, and anything else made from cotton or polyester.

A little on the spendy side...but with minimum wage being so high...I guess it's gonna cost a bit more to have Americans make your clothing.

Edited by WhoGotMeIntoThis on Jan 27, 2006 at 11:36 AM

--- Original message by WhoGotMeIntoThis on Jan 27, 2006 11:36 AM

yeah American Apparel is solid for slim fit minimalist casual clothing...I personally have no complaints about the quality, then again all I own are the hoodies (not zip-up, just the plain)...the tees and polos don't look like they'll hold up too well though, but at least a $16 AA pocket tee is a far better investment than a cheap looking, thin ass $140 Dior plain pocket tee.

Quote:

http://oneoffclothing.com/ has good prices

but madgrad is at best an AA medium, maybe even a small, and he's 6-3. AA shrinks a lot: the only thing that aint going to be exposing his belly button are the long-cut thermals. but then again, an exposed midriff might work just fine with the look that's being concocted for him here...

--- Original message by wooster on Jan 27, 2006 01:11 PM

you've got a really good point...I guess the only way to find out would be to do a bit of experimentation.

Either way...it's worth checking out.

Guest Fade to Black
Quote:

oh man you don't think the little leather tabs aren't worth at least 124 dollars :P

--- Original message by ten100switch on Jan 27, 2006 01:45 PM

heh the thing is the t-shirts Dior is putting out now don't have those leather epaulettes anymore...for this season it's just a plain, fragile t-shirt that will probably twist or rip after a summer of washing/wearing. Unless the diagonal chest dart is worth $124 to you :P

Back when the t-shirts had those leather tags on the shoulders...i remember during VotC, that striped cotton t-shirt was like $320, insane.

For what it's worth I own several AA t-shirts in medium and small. The small is long enough to cover my belt normally, and as long as I don't raise my arms above my head my stomach doesn't show. And if for some reason I'm ever in a situation where I have to raise my arms above my head in public, fuck it. Some lucky lady will get a slight glimpse at my treasure trail and that will be the end of that.

Edit: Found an actual AA store in Baltimore, will probably go tomorrow and try on some track jackets and such to see how they fit.

Also, I ordered these shoes:

http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/9163573/c/47467/g/men/s/13.html

I haven't been able to find the Purcells I want in my size, but I saw these and fell in love with how they look.

Edited by madgrad on Jan 27, 2006 at 10:22 PM