Slim fit minimalist clothing?

madgrad

Quote:
Quote:

Similar to what some ppl up here have said, be sure to invest your $$$ in some classic quality items rather than buying trendy clothing. You've made a good start with the APC jeans purchase so far.

While I agree that the whole blazer and jeans thing is overdone, sometimes it cannot be avoided depending on your occupation or your interests. If you're intent on wearing blazers, dress them up rather than dress them down - ie, wear a nice dress shirt and sweater under the blazer rather than a tshirt.

For a good example of what I'm talking about, look at how Brad Pitt dresses in Mr. and Mrs. Smith.

--- Original message by triniboy27 on Jan 23, 2006 12:45 PM

It's funny you should say that because I'm looking around for some nice slim fit sweaters right now, might see what H&M has in stock tomorrow.

I do like the look of this shirt from yoox

http://www.yoox.com/item/tskay//rr/1/cod10/380105071Q/areaid/36/st/SN/COSTUME+NATIONAL+HOMME/Long+sleeve+shirts

My chest is only 32 inches, so with a bit of tailoring that shirt should fit my torse quite nicely. My only concern would be the sleeve length. I can handle an inch or two short because I turn my cuffs up out of habit, but if it's any shorter than that I'll have to send it back.

--- Original message by madgrad on Jan 23, 2006 12:50 PM

that color is horrible...

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not that you look bad, but 6'3" and 150lbs is really thin. are you happy with that? a decent weights routine and a high-protein diet would add another 15lbs (minimum) after a year. it would make it a lot easier to find stuff that fits well, and i think do more for your look than clothing will.

He should remain that way.

If I were you, I would try to pick up some of the swedish stuff. It is exceedingly minimal in design.

What you should do.

Burn the blazer.

Buy a pair of ACNE Raw (33-34 length).

Buy White/Grey/Black teeshirts, V-neck / not. Preferably very slim-cut without being anywhere like Dolce&Gabbana.

Get Contactlenses / new glasses.

Try to invest around the 400-500$ for the ACNE blazers. You can probably still get them at the sales for 200-300$ if you live anywhere close a retailer. The dress pants are very affordable aswell.

Buy a pair of ACNE Distressed (size 33-34 length).

Get scarves, but don't EVER tie them that way. Black/Grey/White/Red/Deep Blue pashmina. They are like 30$ in Denmark so they must be cheaper overthere.

Buy easy-to-rock, low-heeled shoes. As said, avoid squaretoe. I think you'd be happy with Alfani, Zegna or some other italian brand. Keep the shoes sharp but not too fancy. Simple.

If I knew you I could describe this so much easier. But ACNE. www.ACNE.se.

DON'T YOU WANNA BE COOL

^^Listen to skecer8r, he knows what he`s talking about.

I was gonna say the same thing on the glasses tho. get some new frames and dont cheap out on em, you`re gonna wear those every day.

forget about those boot cut jeans. I think girls that wanna look taller like em. but you`re already tall and you`re a dude, so like others said get straight or tapered.

and yeah dont listen to the protein junkies saying `bulk up` and shit. Just be healthy, thats the most important.

you gotta post pics after you get your new gear. SF`s first makeover? hahaicon_smile_big.gif

Be Advised: Morgan Nixon AKA Moman631 AKA Moman6040 is a fraud.

Edited by MilSpex on Jan 24, 2006 at 04:52 AM

Quote:

not that you look bad, but 6'3" and 150lbs is really thin. are you happy with that? a decent weights routine and a high-protein diet would add another 15lbs (minimum) after a year. it would make it a lot easier to find stuff that fits well, and i think do more for your look than clothing will.

--- Original message by wooster on Jan 24, 2006 03:53 AM

First, thanks to everyone so far who has given me all this awesome advice. I'm going down to the Denimbar in arlington today to see what they have in stock, I should be able to get some good jeans and I will post pics upon my return!

Quote:
Quote:

--- Original message by wooster on Jan 24, 2006 03:53 AM

First, thanks to everyone so far who has given me all this awesome advice. I'm going down to the Denimbar in arlington today to see what they have in stock, I should be able to get some good jeans and I will post pics upon my return!

--- Original message by madgrad on Jan 24, 2006 06:20 AM

damnit madgrad, buy some Acne Max already! I've been preaching them to you for years now icon_smile_tongue.gif

Also, their S/S 06 line is full of awesome pieces.

awesome thread. regarding "bulking up:" no one's saying be a meathead. but there's a point where being so frickin skinny puts you outside the reasonable bounds of clothing sizes. also, it actually is HEALTHIER to weight train. Muscles like to be used, and when they're used they get hungry, and then you eat more and as long as you eat high fiber/protein foods and stay away from the saturated fats and include vegatables, you'll look great. Just as important, firming up the chest and back muscles will square off the shoulders correct one's posture. I know it would be wonderful to starve oneself in order to fit into stovepipe jeans, but really not everyone wants to or should look like steven tyler or mick jagger.

agree with skecr8r- swedish stuff is where you should be looking

acne, filippa-k is also nice

alessandrini makes *some nice minimal stuff.

helmut lang is great if you can still get it, jil sander, margiela, neil barrett is also a good choice but pretty rare i find.

engineered garments, costume national, apc are all good bets too.

good luck

nairb49

neil barrett might be a little too, dare i say, 'metro'. or maybe, overdesigned. but the boots can't be beat. i own a pair of the motorcycle boots and i've not met their equal. as for jil sander, you're pretty much buying prada at this point. same with helmut lang since like '03. in which case, prada stuff on sale might be worth a gander. if you are looking for engineered garments, stevenalan.com has a few pieces.

Quote:

awesome thread. regarding "bulking up:" no one's saying be a meathead. but there's a point where being so frickin skinny puts you outside the reasonable bounds of clothing sizes. also, it actually is HEALTHIER to weight train. Muscles like to be used, and when they're used they get hungry, and then you eat more and as long as you eat high fiber/protein foods and stay away from the saturated fats and include vegatables, you'll look great. Just as important, firming up the chest and back muscles will square off the shoulders correct one's posture. I know it would be wonderful to starve oneself in order to fit into stovepipe jeans, but really not everyone wants to or should look like steven tyler or mick jagger.

--- Original message by sarno on Jan 24, 2006 09:54 AM

I know what you`re saying. I do light weight training just coz I feel better after. And yeah you gotta eat after a workout or you loose muscle mass. But I eat real food (chicken, beef etc) after rather than supplements.

Some of my buddies in uni used to be way into it. They`d spend all their time in the gym, spend tons of money on protein supplements and they all developed RSI. I mean they had bad joints, bad knees etc. Always had some kind off strain or whatever just to be buff. I mean thats not healthy and some of those protein and creotine supplements can fuck up your heart and all sorts of shit.

Lifting weights can be healthy but just like anything, dont overdo it.

This has been a public service announcement...icon_smile.gif

Be Advised: Morgan Nixon AKA Moman631 AKA Moman6040 is a fraud.

a tall skinny guy who lifts weights seriously is still going to be a tall skinny guy next year. just a healthier, better looking one with more clothing options. this musclehead thing is just fiction: a serious beginner could realistically expect to gain 15lbs of lean mass the first year...that makes this guy, what, 6-3 and 165lbs? maybe he goes from a 36 long to a 38 long. more options, stuff will fit better. 3-4 hours a week, compound exercises (squats, bench press), good form, get enough protein, that's all it takes. whey protein supplement is just like isolated milk protein--it's a cheap easy way to make sure you get enough protein. you can't od on it. i don't see madgrad at risk to shoot steroids into his butt.

personally, i wouldn't be listening too hard to the sisterhood of the traveling pants. skinny jeans are just skinny jeans. you're a tall guy, probably have a long natural rise, it's likely they are just going to hurt your balls and put you in a bad mood. the sevens look okay. sure, try something new, but this whole change my jeans and make my ass look amazing (or whatever) thing is too sad.

Guest Berget__
Quote:

i almost hope this is the start of a "make me over" trend on SF...almost.

RE skecer8r: are you saying dont wear v-neck t's (or sweaters or something) i think a white v-neck tee looks great on a thin dude

Edited by heartsandcrafts on Jan 25, 2006 at 01:34 AM

--- Original message by heartsandcrafts on Jan 25, 2006 01:33 AM

I think he meant v-neck/not = v-neck or not. simply just buy the one you like best.

I aint gotta get money man money get me

Ok, I went down to the denimbar store in Arlington. Excellent selection, helpful staff,great prices too. Picked up a pair of Acne Mics and APC Cure.

Mic in roadwash:

jeans0027zq.jpg

Cure:

jeans0091ht.jpg

Sorry about the crappy image quality, trying to take photos of yourself kind of sucks. Also, the Cures are the single most uncomfortable piece of clothing I have ever worn in my entire life. I didn't think I was going to be able to button the damn things. I have to let them stretch for a few minutes before I could do the top button, then I had to suck in my stomach and I don't even *have* a damn stomach. Also I don't think I'll be able to have children.

On the up side, I can't wait to see what they will look like in six months when I was them, and they are already breaking in nicely. I slept in them last night, so the waist is still tight but I think I at least have some circulation back into my legs.

you should go up a size in those jeans then. there's no reason you should be uncomfortable at the cost of wearing what someone says you should be wearing. i don't believe that they are going to stretch that much. the key to everything is comfort. it sounds like a cliche, but if you don't feel good in them, you're not going to look good. don't be afraid to go a size up, that's why belts were invented. not to mention, you're not going to be that skinny forever.

Quote:

you should go up a size in those jeans then. there's no reason you should be uncomfortable at the cost of wearing what someone says you should be wearing. i don't believe that they are going to stretch that much. the key to everything is comfort. it sounds like a cliche, but if you don't feel good in them, you're not going to look good. don't be afraid to go a size up, that's why belts were invented. not to mention, you're not going to be that skinny forever.

--- Original message by giantreptile on Jan 25, 2006 07:33 AM

I thought about returning them but after wearing them for a little while and sleeping in them they are already breaking in, and I think they will be comfortable after a week or so. And if my family's genetics hold up I've got about seven more years of being skinny before I hit the wall, so if I get seven years out of these jeans they will be more than worth my money ;)

looks good. I love that you went out and tried something different. The legline looks straight and less fussy. Now hook up with a nice pair of non-square toe shoes. I'm 6'/175lbs and have long legs. here's how I paired up my new standards with a pair of Varvatos oxfords to extend the legline and reinforce the straightness of the jeans:

http://img59.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc000295tm.jpg

http://img59.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc000154eg.jpg

don't know what size you are but I got a pair sz 10 in superstore.

Edited by sarno on Jan 25, 2006 at 08:46 AM

Edited by sarno on Jan 25, 2006 at 08:53 AM

I think you're fine with the Cures. Mine is unwashed 11 months old already and has stretched like 2 sizes from the day I bought 'em. And also could barely button them on day 1. And sleeping with em is awesome too, I know this has been discussed before and a lot of members here have done it. Good job with the jeans hunt. With regards to the starving thin figure. I personally like a fit, marathon skinny built. Iggy Pop has defined muscles, that's what I go for.

Well now that I've got the jeans, I need to find shoes that go with it. Minya suggested some Jack Purcells to me, I've found a pair that I really like:

http://tinyurl.com/abqa2

Any other recomendations? I'd like to get a pair of casual sneakers like those and perhaps something more classy/formal if I want to dress the jeans up alittle. I've got a decent pair of motorcycle style boots that I just picked up from Aldo, so I've got the boot thing covered. What would be a good pair of moderately priced shoes to go with those jeans? By moderate I mean under 150, I don't want to kill my entire budget at once.

One more question: What's the opinion on American Apparel clothing? I love the way their t-shirts fit and was looking at a fleece track jacket on their website that looked pretty nice.

http://www.americanapparelstore.com/5455.html#

That one in cranberry/white to be exact

I apologize for turning this into a "please for the love of god dress me" thread, but I am taking everyone's advice to heart and thank you all for the contributions!