Real Japan Blues - Jeans & Shirts...

kiya

I've been thinking lately of getting a brand new pair of jeans to break. At this moment in time, the 106BSP's are my best bet; considering the price, the quality of the denim used, etc.

However, judging from the fit pics I've seen, their back pockets do seem to look quite big.

I was wondering, what is the exact measurement of their back pockets?

Thanks in advance.

I don't know the measurements off-hand but i can assure you they're not larger than the average back pocket on any other Flat Head jean or any other 5-pocket jean repro.

just picked up a pair of 105bsps from the se sale! so excited to get them, here's my question though: they're a tagged 31, which is a 33 waist. I wanna do a presoak to get the hairy look going on, but I dont want shrinkage, cause if they go any smaller than a 33 Im scared they won't fit me. will a cold soak bring out the hairy nature of the denim without causing them to shrink like a hot soak would? do I even need to presoak? thanks in advance!

Disclaimer: These jeans are made of unsanforized denim, when washed the denim will shrink 2.5" in the waist, 3" in the length (inseam), .6" in the leg opening, .5" in the rise, and .8" in the thigh. Please keep this in mind when choosing your size. The denim will also stretch in the waist up to 1" after approximately 30 wears. Basic rule of thumb here is that these will shrink TO the tagged waist size.

did you read the whole description?

also, not sure about the logistics, but the waist of mine has already stretched back out to the pre-soak measurements.

started at 17, shrunk to 16, now back a little over 17

i've got much less than 30 wears on them. should i resoak or just throw on a belt and deal? i don't want any surprises when they finally get washed

just picked up a pair of 105bsps from the se sale! so excited to get them, here's my question though: they're a tagged 31, which is a 33 waist. I wanna do a presoak to get the hairy look going on, but I dont want shrinkage, cause if they go any smaller than a 33 Im scared they won't fit me. will a cold soak bring out the hairy nature of the denim without causing them to shrink like a hot soak would? do I even need to presoak? thanks in advance!

Ya got to agree with above post. Did you read the discription? Even if you don't soak you will have to wash eventually and they will definatly shrink. Good luck, PM me if you want to sell them pre- soak though.

was it just my imagination or did you get a reup in the larger sizes of the 105BSP?

It was magic.

welll yes I read but I was under the impression a hot soak would cause max shrinkage, Im asking will doing a cold soak give me the hairy look without shrinking hardly at all?

Once you get them see how much room you have, if you have a little big just do a 5 minute cold soak and then let them air dry.

By the time you end up washing them for the first time they would have stretched out a bit and you can do a cold water wash and line dry them and you'll be fine. The only thing is that you can't hem them much because they're going to shrink 3" over time in the length.

Kiya, is it safe to say that the 105bsp shrinks to about the 106bsp presoak or am I just way off?

No, they're completely different fits.

If I'm between a 29-30 true waist, and I wanted a slimmer fit, would I be all right going with the 28 in the 105BSP? How small a leg opening could I expect (from measurements looks like around 7.8)?

You can definitely fit into a 28 with no problem even after shrinking.

The leg opening will shrink about .3" to .4" after a hot soak.

Now I just need to figure out how much to hem... leg opening is probably too big for stacks, even after shrinking right? Any suggestions? I have a 30" inseam.

Hem them to 33.5".

To get them hemmed you must bring them into one of the two SE locations in person.

I called yesterday regarding the same matter and the person on the phone said I could ship it in and just include the money (or paypal) with a note saying what length to hem to.

I called yesterday regarding the same matter and the person on the phone said I could ship it in and just include the money (or paypal) with a note saying what length to hem to.

My bad then. I was told differently but if that's what they said then go for it. :o

after they stretched out to pre-soak waist in a few days and reading some of kiya's comments on inseam, i rolled the dice and did a 2nd soak (well warm/delicate in washing machine this time) on my 106 today. :cool:

still damp but so far waist shrunk more than the initial soak and the inseam lost another 1.5" to 34. can't comment on anything else or give final measurements until they're dry and i put them on, though.

105bps are coming tomorrow! so pumped. need a little advice on the initial soak. if I dont have much room give em a cold soak for 5-10 minutes to minimize shrinkage. if I do have the room I should give em a hot soak for a couple hours? is there a rule of thumb for a hot presoak time? and do you guys prefer doing it in the tub or in the washing machine?

do you mean room in the waist or in the legs?

my soak story:

i did about a 3 hour soak in the bathtub the first time, primarily because i had to leave the house unexpectedly. hottest water my tub had. it was still warm when i got home and i gave it a hot blast and let it sit another 30. they shrunk for sure and the results are the pics i posted a few pages back.

the legs are the wild card here because they were HUGE before the soak and shrank up a lot.

the waist stretched back out really fast from 16 to 17.25 (in a couple of days) and the ass got saggy so i decided on a 2nd soak. also, kiya's comments about the inseam shrinking influenced it because i was considering a hem.

my 2nd "soak" was in the washing machine on warm/delicate. i did this method because i want minimal movement after i give them their first real wash in the future - i hate surprises. the color didn't change at all.

i put them on this morning before work and they fit incredibly. the waist shrunk about .25 more than the tub soak but the inseam is what really shrunk (to the point i may not even cuff anymore). it doesn't feel like the thigh changed but from the knee down feels a little tighter. i'll measure the hem at lunch, but i think it shrunk a little more as well. the seat is tighter, too. they were stiff enough to stand on their own, which did not amuse my dog.

i'm 100% ready to go with these now. my philosophy is that if you're gonna wash them in the future you may as well give them a quick wash to address any changes that are gonna happen when they initially hit the machine anyways - see: i hate surprises. i even do this on the cold/delicate cycle with sanforized denim and notice significant changes, particularly in the inseam. YMMV.

if you're concerned with them shrinking too much, i'd say do a quick cold soak at first and then you can always go back and re-soak them if you need to. the waist will go (at maximum shrinkage) to a cunthair below the tagged size (my 32 went down to 15.75ish) but the waist is easy to stretch back out. i'd say if you want to do any hemming at all, it would be best to shrink them as much as you can because they will eventually lose length when you wash them. good luck and put some pics up if you have any questions after the soak.