Workshirts

gimmegimme

Why doesn't anyone tuck in their workshirts in like they were originally designed for? IMHO it looks odd seeing guys buying vintage inspired work shirts and then being slaves to modern fashion and not wearing them tucked in. Call me old school but that's why I prefer vintage Hercules or Oshkosh shirts over the over priced Japanese repro work shirts. Nothing like wearing an American Union made work shirt.

I wear my shirts tucked in. I just think it looks better, especially if it is a blue colored shirt with blue denim. The brown belt is a break so there isn't too much blue going on. I have found that the problem with the Japanese repros is that they are typically too short and will come somewhat partially untucked throughout the day. I would buy vintage American made work shirts, but I like to put my own wear and tear into them.

I feel the same Crown...

Wear it like it was intended. I always tuck in.

It's like that thing where they tuck in the front of a t-shirt and let the back hang out? I think that looks about as "special needs" as it comes.

I think many "tailed" shirts intended for tucking in look decent when left unbuttoned and untucked with like a white t-shirt underneath, like you just got home from a long days work and need a beer... quick.

Zissou, will your tailor produce a shirt of fabric that I could supply him? This might have been asked before, but I am laaazzzzy.

Why doesn't anyone tuck in their workshirts in like they were originally designed for? IMHO it looks odd seeing guys buying vintage inspired work shirts and then being slaves to modern fashion and not wearing them tucked in.

...but weren't they slaves to fashion then too? I mean there was no rule saying they couldn't wear them untucked to begin with - they (like us) just did it because everyone else did too. The only functional reason for tucking it in is if your working with dangerous machines(or maybe fire) where you wouldn't want something dangling over a gear and it catching and pulling you in with it. If you tuck it in because you saw a photo of a guy in a factory in the 40s doing it that way with his workwear, aren't you just a slave to fashion driven nostalgia if you don't work in a factory?

FWIW, I don't necessarily equate workshirts specifically with being tucked in - definitely it was part of the pre-60s era, but I don't specifically see it as a workshirt thing. My family has a pretty blue collar background(mechanics, factory workers, farmers/ranchers) and to my memory if someone left with their work shirt tucked in, they normally returned at the end of a long day with it barely tucked in or untucked all together. Again, this is in Texas so the heat plays a part in that too, but I'm just saying.

And for the record, I'm an untucked or loosely tucked in guy mostly because it breathes a little better that way...but even I will tuck in if the shirt has a tail or if it's really cold(and you don't want a draft going up through your shirt).

I guess the name Work Shirt should probably give away this this shirt was used for well... work.

And if we're talking the 20's-30's.. work was a tough business with the mentioned open gears, belts, moving metal parts and the like...

Having a loose flap of fabric at your waist was like asking death to take you early.

Plus, people back in the day were fashion minded in sense of they didn't want to look like bums. People work the best they owned to go to town and church. Men wore suits if they had them. Complete with tucked in shirts, ties and a light polish on what ever footwear they had.

During the depression, you didn't have much and what you did, you tried to make look as best you could.

So it depend what you're going for. If you buy a vintage inspired work shirt to have the vintage look then yes, tuck it in. If you buy it to look modern, then wear it loose.

I do both, right or wrong doesn't matter to me BUT I will say that it's easier to leave the modern repro ones untucked because they do not tend to be as wide where the tails are as all the vintage ones I've had do. They've been soo wide and loose at the tails that I always felt it looked goofy not to tuck. Not so with the slimmer cut modern ones.

post o'alls is off the fucking chain. i saw this piece in person in red, it's made of a really felt-like flannel material - really interesting, wish i had $275 to drop on a shirt!

The blue one is melton wool, it really is super nice fabric. It is ridiculously expensive, but on the bright side cheaper than Mister Freedom, Iron Heart and Buzz Rickson's melton wool shirts.

No photos yet because I'm too lazy and there is no daylight here!

The blue one is melton wool, it really is super nice fabric. It is ridiculously expensive, but on the bright side cheaper than Mister Freedom, Iron Heart and Buzz Rickson's melton wool shirts.

No photos yet because I'm too lazy and there is no daylight here!

Damn you fre$co, I'm so close to pulling the trigger myself now too, I love melton wool.

I'm just wondering about ordering the M or L.

I'm 6'2, 190lbs. My chest is pretty much dead on 42'.

I want a "fitted" look, but not too slim or tight. Which size would you recommend?

For reference a McCoy chambray shirt in size 16 fits me tight, and I want it looser than that.

There are some nice lookin details on that shirt. Is that selvage on the placket? The wash on it looks pretty good as well.