so... how many years do we have left?

the_state

Honestly, all that's happening right now is our comfortable way of life is being ever so slightly infringed upon. No matter what happens, we're better off than our ancestors ever were, although we aren't equipped for survival like they were.

All in all, who cares? We can't do shit about it, so we may as well just enjoy the time we're here. I don't mean to come off as so apathetic, as I'm not. I mean, I work for one of the leading centers for global sustainability, but it's just not something to fret about. Just do your part.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was reading, of all things, the rolling stone interview with chris martin. he said one interesting thing, that the president of the united states should not just be voted on by us in america, but by the whole world, because it affects everyone almost equally. I'm not into politics or economy at all, and i'm not going to pretend to be, but that absolutely made sense to me.

on another note, is it strange that global warming scares the shit out of me, but global cooling makes me get my skiis out and start an Iron Heart saving jar?

but yo im like usin my whole foods tote and like usin my bike(chicks dig my fixie) and like i dont know man im workin hard at this shit a nigga just tryina do his part ya dig?

I would state that you're an idiot, but I hear that pointing out the obvious is something of a faux pas.

isnt that the end of the myan calendar too?

2012 is sometimes claimed to be a great year of spiritual transformation (or apocalypse). Many esoteric sources interpret the completion of the thirteenth B'ak'tun cycle in the Long Count of the Maya calendar (which occurs on December 21 by the most widely held correlation) to mean there will be a major change in world order.

Accordingly, several eclectic authors claim that a major, world-changing event will take place in 2012:

* The 1997 book The Bible Code claims that, according to certain algorithms of the Bible code, an asteroid or comet will collide with the Earth.

* The 2006 book 2012: The Return of Quetzalcoatl by Daniel Pinchbeck discusses theories of a possible global awakening to psychic connection by the year 2012, creating a noosphere.

Other prophecies and apocalyptic writings and hypotheses for this year include:

* Terence McKenna's numerological novelty theory suggests a point of singularity in which humankind will go through a great shift in consciousness.

From wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012):

Summary: we be fucked

WE ARE ALL DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMED

nostradamus2.jpg

How do they come up with this stuff you could prove anything with numbers from the Bible if you added them up to suit your need isn't that the argument for creationism that is you add up the ages of the people in the Bible then the world is only a few thousand years old?

and the Maya calender? aren't they all dead? like a 1000 years ago? didn't they worship rocks and cut peoples beating hearts out of their chest? so they must have been pretty on the money right?

Seriously though if anything I'm positive about the collective future. I see things moving towards a more stable political peace because we all live in a smaller world where every nations actions affect the other, no doubt it's gonna get worse before it gets better but it seems as though the world needs a bogeyman on the horizon, if it's not terrorrism it's nuclear war or the planet trying to kill us all or some other yet to be determined threat

Things that need to be whiped off the radar and into the fire in order for civilization to prosper:

The Rothschilds

Carlos Mencia

MTV

Adult Swim

Israel

Larry the Cable Guy

Jeff Foxworthy

The Wayens Brothers

Shitty Xbox Games

"The Kardashians"

Rap

Nashville Country

Morissey

Texas

Girls with pink cellphones

Chicos

Respect for Gershwin

Grown men with party-hair

Emile Hirsch

F.R.I.E.N.D.S

Lifetime movies with Delta Burke

Swimfan

Juno

Queer eye for the Dumb show

Sex and the City

Weeds. For christ sakes, get real people. That show is crap.

Dr. Worm

CHRIS GAINES

garth-brooks-chris-gaines-300.jpg

i actually thought of starting a thread like this, but i've generally stopped reading the news so much because i felt like it was starting to wear me down. it may not be the end of civilization, but it may very well be the end as we know it.

I believe the USA is on the brink of the end of an empire. The US dollar is at a record low against the Euro and is now a 1 to 1 with the Canadian Loonie!!

The fundamental problem is the growing US trade deficit - now more than $700billion!! As the US economy has imported far more goods than it has exported. And we have exported all of our jobs which decimated the blue collar workers in our country. We have given China a ridiculous trade surplus and encouraged them to absolutely destroy their environment.

We spend $12 million dollars an hour in Iraq and have gotten none of the oil. We are seen as an ultraviolent Imperialist nation, which we in fact are. This shit has contributed to us borrowing between $600 billion and a trillion dollars from China. Primarily because this is the first time we have ever gone to war without raising taxes.

The richest 10% of households in the world have as much yearly income as the bottom 90%. With the richest 1% alone owning 40% of the world's wealth. We are all at the mercy of the military industrial complex.

Not to mention:There are now 41,415 species on the IUCN Red List of Threatened Species and 16,306 of them are threatened with extinction, up from 16,118 last year. The total number of extinct species has reached 785 and a further 65 are only found in captivity or in cultivation.

One in four mammals, one in eight birds, one third of all amphibians and 70% of the world’s assessed plants on the 2007 IUCN Red List are in jeopardy. Life on Earth is disappearing fast and will continue to do so unless urgent action is taken.

When was the last time you saw anyone in power take "urgent action" when it didn't involve a war???

I applaud your bullshitting

I would state that you're an idiot, but I hear that pointing out the obvious is something of a faux pas.

this nigga must be extra dumb...why the fuck you tryin to get at a nigga who just tryin to explain his methods in trying to save the galaxy and shit? why you hatin? you need help turnin yo old bike into a singlespeed my dude? i can get you help for that dont worry we'll all live long enough to see our kids grow but we gotta stop this hate so shut the fuck up and do your part ya dig?

this is a great thrad!

this thrad is great

But on a serious note, I actually have been eying 2012 since about 1997 when I was watching TV in my living room one hot summer day in st. louis.

There was breaking news and a reporter was standing infront of a NASA building along with a load of other reporters who apparrently were reporting the same story. It was like in the middle of the day around 3 or 4:00 and the guy said NASA astronomers had just located a comet that was on a collision course for earth and was going to strike us around late 2012.

I just remember staring at the screen in utter shock not really knowing what the make of it since I was just a kid at the time. I remember how worried the reporter looked too. A couple minutes later they had someone else on the screen and said they had some follow up information that conveniently placed the comet on a path NEAR earths orbit, but new analysis suggested it would not hit our planet.. supposidly it would just fly by really close to us.

To this day ive never been able to know what to make of it since it wasnt even on the evening news that day or any news in the following days for that matter. :confused:

One thing that I have been able to get confirmed about 2012 is that our magnetic sphere is reversing as we speak and is to reach its lowest point of reversal during 2012. This has proven by geologists around the globe. I asked my uni professors how this would affect humans and I got some conflicting answers, but the main undertone was that we really dont know how this will affect mankind as humans have never existed during one of earths natural reversals of the magnetic sphere. Its happened plenty of times in earths over all history, but no human has existed during such a time.

I dont know what the future holds, but I know for sure whatever it is it wont be a boring (:

this nigga must be extra dumb...why the fuck you tryin to get at a nigga who just tryin to explain his methods in trying to save the galaxy and shit? why you hatin? you need help turnin yo old bike into a singlespeed my dude? i can get you help for that dont worry we'll all live long enough to see our kids grow but we gotta stop this hate so shut the fuck up and do your part ya dig?

I'm sorry, but I'm going to need someone to translate this for me. I don't speak Surfer Ebonics and damned if babelfish doesn't have that option.'

WAAAIT, you're from the city and talking like that? I've been away for too long...there must be a new breed of stupid there.

One thing that I have been able to get confirmed about 2012 is that our magnetic sphere is reversing as we speak and is to reach its lowest point of reversal during 2012. This has proven by geologists around the globe. I asked my uni professors how this would affect humans and I got some conflicting answers, but the main undertone was that we really dont know how this will affect mankind as humans have never existed during one of earths natural reversals of the magnetic sphere. Its happened plenty of times in earths over all history, but no human has existed during such a time.

I heard (from god only knows where) that it's impossible to pinpoint the time that the fields would reverse and that it could simply flip at any given moment.

this nigga said surfer ebonics..

so whats really good with that RACIST username also i think imma have to report you to a mod you crossin mad lines...what are you gonna do next, prophetize the coming of god and bring religion into this? WELL GUESS WHAT MY DUDE YOU CANT TALK ABOUT RELIGION ON SUFU

I heard (from god only knows where) that it's impossible to pinpoint the time that the fields would reverse and that it could simply flip at any given moment.

thats positively false. A semester ago my geology professor showed us the rate at which the magnetic field is weakening and how less powerful it is right now in comparison to just 10 years ago. Its a natural process that has a lot to do with the earths core and the huge diposit of iron that spins within it.

It takes over the course of years for it to fully reverse, but there is a point where it will be at a near zero before it regains power and re expands across the planet.

The troubling thing is, besides reversing which way our compasses will point to percieved north, we dont know how this will affect our bodies or way of life since we rely heavily on magnetic forces every day

this nigga said surfer ebonics..

so whats really good with that RACIST username also i think imma have to report you to a mod you crossin mad lines...what are you gonna do next, prophetize the coming of god and bring religion into this? WELL GUESS WHAT MY DUDE YOU CANT TALK ABOUT RELIGION ON SUFU

Dear dumbfuck,

You look like an idiot when you play the race card when it's clearly not the issue at hand. I'm pointing out your stupidity; not a (your?) race's stupidity. Don't be so quick to play the role of the victim. You're dropping the "n" bomb like it's going out of style and I'M being racist? That's adorable. Then you'll tell me that you're African American and it's OK for you to use that word which will contradict your offended nature at my username considering that I'm white.

Let's just bring this full circle again: you're an idiot.

Gouf: Thanks for clearing that up.

i bet you think you won some kind of argument ri? makes you feel real good ri? i know you the type of dude who thinks trumpin dudes "intellectually" on a message board is real satisfying(look at how many times you have to call me an idiot), but you got played my nigga. is it really that serious?

imma sum it up real easily: YOU MAD