What pair of jeans would you elope with?

rnrswitch

I know there are a lot of people on this board with a massive amount of jeans. I myself have a decent amount of pairs, but what is that one pair of jeans that you could settle down with for the rest of your life? For me it would have to be reasonably priced (<$245), great fit, and readily available (meaning it isn't a special limited edition or a vintage pair of jeans), and the quality must be able to hold up for over a year (my common rotational period).

So if you had to choose one pair of jeans you could settle with for the rest of your life. (Meaning you could only purchase this pair of jeans for the rest of your life). No buying or wearing any other pairs of jeans... what would that pair be?

I would settle down with either the LVC 1947. A basic pair of jeans. No real frills or any design aspects that make them standout too much. I like the look of the late 40s and early 50s and the levis LVC jeans represent (too some extent) historic time periods. Levis (the jeans not the corp.) can tell a history of working class America from the late 1800s to current day. Of course Levis is a shit hole of a corporation these days, but at one time they made garments of quality for working class folk to live in.

I have yet to wear a pair of SDAs, but I did own a pair and just sold them, but I could see falling in love with a pair of 101s as well. I hear they stay dark forever (big plus in my book) and the construction is impeccable.

I don't plan on buying a pair of LVC 47s anytime soon. I'll probably continue my flirtatious ways with other Japanese repro style denim, but when the time comes and this trend dies down (as it will) and Japanese jeans become harder to come by, then I figure I will settle down with repro levis 47s.

So what jeans are you all settling down with?

I think japanese denim is a "trend" as much as japanese electronics are. The cuts may change, but as long as they keep pumping out high quality product I don't see why people would stop buying?

That said, I don't think I could ever settle on just 1 pair of jeans for the rest of my life. No matter what I picked, I'd get bored eventually and want to move on.

Guess I'm not marriage material.

I think japanese denim is a "trend" as much as japanese electronics are. The cuts may change, but as long as they keep pumping out high quality product I don't see why people would stop buying?

That said, I don't think I could ever settle on just 1 pair of jeans for the rest of my life. No matter what I picked, I'd get bored eventually and want to move on.

Guess I'm not marriage material.

The Japanese have been putting out high quality denim for a long time, not just within the last couple of years, yet Americans didn't buy these jeans at the rate they are buying them now. I am speaking from the view point of an American. The demand from America will cease and people will stop selling the denim here in the States. Of course Japanese denim will be readily available in Japan, but for me and others who like high quality denim, when the trend ceases, our access to Japanese denim will decrease.

Certainly the LVC 1947 for me. The cut is perfect, and I am attracted to the heritage of the jean. Someday I would like to have as many worn-in LVC '47s as Paul T has Lee 101Bs.

The only thing that would come close is the 45rpm Sorahiko. The 45rpm denim is the best I have ever seen, and I like the little details on the Sorahikos such as the Jomon denim rear belt loop and the "R" locker loop. However, the cut is not nearly as good as the LVC '47, and the price would make it hard to wear for life.

Great thread, btw. Ever since I first saw that photo of Paul T's Lees some time last year I knew that would have to settle down with one jean, a fact only confirmed by the photos of multiple worn-in pairs of Evisu No. 1 in the Lightening Indigo Master issue. There's just something attractive about stability that variety can never provide.

that is a tough question. i think the sorahikos are a great timeless fit, but there are so many other types of denim that i prefer. strictly based on denim probably the SC okinawas, but it is not a very fashionable cut, nor will it be close to fashionable any time soon, in my opinion. i don't know, maybe the sda 103 or some other type of 66ish cut with interesting denim. the sda 100 denim is super smooth, which i find really interesting in the long run.

that is a tough question. i think the sorahikos are a great timeless fit, but there are so many other types of denim that i prefer. strictly based on denim probably the SC okinawas, but it is not a very fashionable cut, nor will it be close to fashionable any time soon, in my opinion. i don't know, maybe the sda 103 or some other type of 66ish cut with interesting denim. the sda 100 denim is super smooth, which i find really interesting in the long run.

With the 47 cut I was trying to get away from the fashionable denim cuts. I think the 47 cut is somewhat timeless, a straight leg jean can almost never go out of style. Tapered or bootcuts can definitely go out of style though.

With the 47 cut I was trying to get away from the fashionable denim cuts. I think the 47 cut is somewhat timeless, a straight leg jean can almost never go out of style. Tapered or bootcuts can definitely go out of style though.

I definitely agree with the straight leg being timeless and standard. skinny, bootcut, tapered, etc will always go in and out, but I think straight will be forever. I'd prolly go with my LVC '47 501s. I absolutely love the cut on these. I'm slim so the cut looks great on my chicken legs and I'm a hugh fan on the high rise...none of that low rise crap for me anymore. Plus the denim weight can be worn all year unlike my 19oz sammies.

I'd elope with any pair of jeans that Jane Birkin was wearing... (Look at one of Cotton Duck's threads for more info...).

If I had to stick with one model of jeans for the rest of my life, wouldn't really bother me if they forced me to settle for the LVC 1947, or the Lee 101Z, or Sammie S0500xx. As Tom Waits once said, "you know, if you were at the Pearly Gates, and the St Peter said, "you can have one more day, whichever one you want to relive... well, if it was just that sunny day you just sat by the motel pool with a beer, that would be fine, wouldn't it?"

possibly dior 19cm, but i've seen the sexih01 irl and i think it is the perfect pair of jeans for me, but that is a limited thing and im not sure how that would work out in summertime with the 21 oz

still lots of jeans i want to try though, including the lvc 47s

whoa this is a hard one to answer, I haven't owned the 811's long enough really, but I'm extremely pleased with the fit and the way the denim looks. The LVC 1955 is another favourite of mine, and I guess Nashville's never dissapoints anyone... so yeah, tricky question... :)

Are there any folks that would go for Nudies? I could see the straight sven being a timeless model as long as the back pocket stitching was taken off.

^Ehhh, I had a pair of those SS. I disliked the rise. It was around 10" or so. I either like the rise to either be low or high, rather than mid. I just can find a comfortable position to let the waist sit at. Also, I guess it just didn't work with my body type, but the top looked really boxy on me. *shrug*

I really like dyed weft jeans, so maybe the nandoXnando or XX-007/9?

I would really like if more companies made jeans with the unbleached weft. I believe nudies doesn't bleach the weft. I think it gives the jeans a really good look after some washes.

Guest thehoj

Tough to say.. because my favorite jeans atm are probably not the most timeless jean out there.. I want to say skull 5010xx 6x6's.. But I also remember that I had a pair of cheap off the shelf Levi 501's from a department store like 10 years ago, and I loved them then.. I still love them. So I'd probably say something like 501 STF's.. cheap, durable, solid cut.

if I had to pick right now I would probably go with Flathead's 3001/F310's. The fit is spot on and the denim is to die for. However, its far too early in my high end denim lifetime to make a decision this huge. I have many more brands/ cuts/ denims left to try and could very easily fall in love with any of them so I'd rather give em all a go rather than pick one and have to cheat on it later!

The SC Union Star jeans (SC40065) would be my choice. Although I have to concede the large star motifs on the back pockets are a really over the top. If only the stars were stiched in black thread.

Nonetheless it's very underrated. Zimbabwean cotton, selvage coin pocket, forged iron buttons, a great fit (at least in my view) and all that for an unheard of price.

For me it is more of an issue to the fact that there are so many jeans I want to try out. SDA101, Flathead (anything), left had twill jeans (Sammy S526XX), PBJs, and now the SC union stars are on that list. But once I get bored with the variety and don't have the time to hunt for that obscure pair of jeans, I believe I will head back to where it all started for me... the LVC 1947.

For me it is more of an issue to the fact that there are so many jeans I want to try out. SDA101, Flathead (anything), left had twill jeans (Sammy S526XX), PBJs, and now the SC union stars are on that list. But once I get bored with the variety and don't have the time to hunt for that obscure pair of jeans, I believe I will head back to where it all started for me... the LVC 1947.

Agreed. I love my S0500's and the cut is pretty timeless, but there are so many other pairs that I'll try over the next few years - like the 811's, PBJ005, and especially those Evisu 2000 no. 1's that cheep mentioned.

I got the S0500's after watching the contest progress, and the US evisu no. 1 release created such a buzz that I'll have to eventually try them as well.

some of the momotaros you can get custom-made, and chose all the details(made of the denim they say wont fade, yeah right, let me at em!!!) or some evisu in the #1 denim from one of the evisu stores that let you choose all the details. then i couldnt complain...or some of those pbj007s. i bet over a few years they would turn out killer!!!

• 4 months later...

I don't know which one either with a Edwin Rainbow ED-47 Concrete or a Nudies RRDS