where the fuck do you guys get money for clothes

kunk75

I have very little spending money after paying bills, groceries, car payment, etc, every month... and I mean VERY little money to myself. I will eat really cheap food like 10 cent gross ramen for a month or more just to be able to put away like $80 per week toward clothing I want.

It's just all about sacrifices for me... I guess... it's just a matter of prioritizing.Like not going out as much, not buying things I don't need, eating cheap as fuck food, etc. it's definitely attainable to purchase a designer thing every month or two, even if you only can save $50 per week or something. All the little things add up and once you realize you can eliminate the insignificant purchases, it becomes clear that it's feasible to buy something expensive on a regular basis.

discipline, people! :P

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the best part about my parents having money is i didn't even realize it until i was 19 or so, so i never grew up like a jerk... they never flaunted it

also another source of income = 8 hours of overtime this week

see man, at least you're cool. your parents have money but you still dress like a peasant, i respect that.

your screenname is still absolutely retarded though

im living rent free at home while i save away for a big down payment for my own place, need atleast 100K

i constantly sell off old stuff

i buy mostly everything on some sort of discount

i also got a nice job in investment banking

I'm sorry but I just can't agree with that in the context of NA culture. Just get an appartment and take a few more yrs before you buy the house but get the fuck out of mommy's house!! The absolute and pressing need for house ownership has skewed the mentality of 20-something middle-class kids so bad it's painful to witness.

yeah, i know a guy who's 29 and has a whole wing of his parents' house and thinks he's living the life. and going from living at home to home ownership is a major shock unless you're getting help as an owner, too.

if he's asian its acceptable and normal

White people freak out about that shit

A) I really might sign up under a new user name soon, i hate this one

B) In New Jersey, specifically north jersey, it is hard to get cheap rent (one of my co-workers is paying $1k a month on a place that isn't even that great 10 minutes from work).. keep in mind a crappy condo/apartment is going to run me atleast 300-400K just to buy, saving for a downpayment while paying an extra $12K a year in rent alone + utilities + food + etc, it would take me years before i could afford anything

C) Keep in mind i just turned 23, and should be out before I am 25...

D) Everyone i'ved talked to who has moved out wished they had stayed an extra year

23 at home is perfectly acceptable, IMO.

i dormed for 2 years then moved back home. left at 22.

B) In New Jersey, specifically north jersey, it is hard to get cheap rent (one of my co-workers is paying $1k a month on a place that isn't even that great 10 minutes from work).. keep in mind a crappy condo/apartment is going to run me atleast 300-400K just to buy, saving for a downpayment while paying an extra $12K a year in rent alone + utilities + food + etc, it would take me years before i could afford anything

D) Everyone i'ved talked to who has moved out wished they had stayed an extra year

I don't think i could ever live back at home. I'm the oldest of 4 and have 16, 11 and 8 year old siblings at home as well as 4 cousins under the age of 11 less than 5 minutes from my house. My small close knit neighborhood is also full of little kids. If i lived at home i'd go absolutely insane.

Florida is cheap as shit though. I have a 13-1400 sq ft townhouse apt split with one other person and i only pay $425 after rent/utlities/cable/internet. With part time jobs, reselling shit on ebay/craigslist/here, grant/loan/scholarship money, i'm able to do alright. Paying for grad school this coming year is going to be a bit more though.

Shiiiit, my parents never bought me new clothes. It was thrift stores and hand me downs until I started buying myself stussy and droors tshirts and redsand shorts (perpetratin?) in middle school. That said, thanks to the parents I have a B.A. and no student loans.

I struggled and had some really shitty jobs in order not to move back home right out of college. Looking back, it probably would've been fine to live at home for a year or two.

i put away $250 in each of the boys college 529s every month, but it won't even cover a year of school for each by the time they go. they're fucked. not to mention i'll probably stop working out and they're future will involve carting my 350lb ass around.

my situation is slightly different

my parents own an apartment building and they live 2 floors above me. I only see my dad whenever he wants to catch a ball game or wants to take my dog for a walk. I never see my mom cus she's always out playing mahjong.

Right now I'm saving up for a brownstone.

i put away $250 in each of the boys college 529s every month, but it won't even cover a year of school for each by the time they go. they're fucked. not to mention i'll probably stop working out and they're future will involve carting my 350lb ass around.

Send them to CUNY or SUNY.

My wife and I went to CUNY and we're both 6 figs with no student loans to worry about. My cousin went to Cornell, she's folding clothes at Macy's. High priced education dont mean shit.

agreed. my wife went to Queens college which is academically a very good school.

i had fucked up cause i got a full-ride for clark in mass. but declined cause of a chick i was dating (genius, i know).

i started upenn, then nyu, then sva. sva as a name did get me a door in advertising if nothing else.

i think your parents should stop buying you clothes once you hit high school.......

ahah yep, i think the last thing my parents bought for me was in high school, maybe year 7.. junior high for mericans?

i got myself a part time job and bought it all form then on, cept for presents and they sometimes give me money for clothing which i actually purchase usually adding some of my own as well.

i grew up in england and my parents were really poor, even though i was really appreciative of what i did have i was always jealous of the kids at school with the new jordans and shit like that. similar deal now, obv i earn my own money and buy my own shit but i can't help but envy dudes i know that i would say have 'had it easy' and have had college paid for/cars bought for them etc. no hate though.

i don't drink and at the moment i live in a tiny city so that helps with buying clothes and other 'luxury items'. when i move to japan next year that will all change though...

You've attained economic independance at an early age, which is why you should move out. If you can afford that condo by the time you're 25 I'm sure you can wait until you're 27-28 and live in an app. now. Keep in mind what I'm saying is not prescriptive but I mean, son, what do you tell the ladies?