Selvedge Jeans...Which BRAND should I get?

bathe my ape

"Marlon Brando and James Dean both sported denim, T's and plaid shirts. They weren't trying to emulate a style, it was because they were raised on fucking farms."

Is that a joke? Do you not think that Brando and Dean picked their clothes for specific reasons? And, in fact, most of the images you've seen of them, they were dressed by Hollywood Wardrobe mistresses. Or, in Brando;s case, clothes chosen by Tennessee Williams? But let's face it, this is more worthless generalisation. Who cares what 'a load of your well-dressed straight friends wear. Who cares what a load of my well-dressed straight friends wear. Whether or not you like Dior or Prada (and I don't) don't attempt to justify it with crass generalisations about people's sexuality. Mate.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am sorry I called you narrow-minded for saying that people who buy Dior jeans are gay, I was wrong - in fact I am the one who is narrow-minded for not supporting such remarks.

You really, really do not get it. I do not care if every single one of your purchases are well thought out and reasonable to common people, if you have style or if you know jack about anything, I'm adressing the way that you speak of style, as if there are absolute right or wrongs and that you are so judgemental and not open to differences.

I don't wear dior or prada and have not thoughts of buying anything from either brand and I have never spent $400 on jeans.. (..as if I would have to justify what I say..)

tally-hoo

Edited by horriblyjollyjinx on Oct 11, 2005 at 11:35 AM

Paul. I'm not talking about obviously "posed" publicity pictures after Dean/Brando became icons, and people chose to create a style around that. I'm talking about when they were just starting out. When they wore all that they could afford. To classes. To auditions. Not garments chosen by some wardrobe toady.

Quote: Who cares what 'a load of your well-dressed straight friends wear. Who cares what a load of my well-dressed straight friends wear. Whether or not you like Dior or Prada (and I don't) don't attempt to justify it with crass generalisations about people's sexuality. Mate.
Why is it seen by you as me making some kind of heretical statement when I am only stating what I have observed and tested? Why this anxious rush to obliterate all distinctions?

I'm ninety-three, you're sixteen. There is nothing more for you and I.

Who cares what gay men wear or what straight men wear or what they think about each others' asses?

I wear what I want because I like the way I look in it, not because a gay man or a straight man or a blonde slut at a club compliments me on it. I dress for myself, not for others.

No, Jinx. Wrong. Again, I appreciate all differences. I am energized by the richness of diversity. I also believe that by pretending that distinctions due to character, proclivities, sexual orientation, what have you, don't exist we risk becoming intellectually dishonest.

And where do get my having said anything about what's right and what's wrong in "the world of fashion"? What all I know of that world is more than enough. I'm more interested about how all that filters down and is displayed on the street, if you will. All I did was to examine the notion of spending hundreds of dollars on jeans and who in my opinion is likely to indulge that impulse. That's all. What is wrong with that? I stand behind what I posted above. I suppose there might be others who'd agree but maybe not say so because they're intimidated by the P.C. Police, where you probably hold a captain's rank.

Mr Ape

Good feedback on your post! two things

1. Metro-Sexual Guys (Men in touch with their feminine side) do spend time and cash on their look. Boundaries are defintely been broken and ain't easy to (not that I would) define between a 'guy' and a 'guy'

2. Man. Get a set of blue bloods the most expensive pair you can - saw a pair last week gold buttons - amazing - if I get a picture I will post - major cult item

You know what the real funny fucking thing about this is? We're talking about motherfucking jeans. JEANS. Does no one else find this hilarious? If we were talking about dropping six hundred dollars or more on a suede jacket, there would be no discussion. Or one thousand dollars on a suit. We're talking about jeans. Jeans. it's really sick. funny as hell. But still sick.

Quote:

You know what the real funny fucking thing about this is? We're talking about motherfucking jeans. JEANS. Does no one else find this hilarious? If we were talking about dropping six hundred dollars or more on a suede jacket, there would be no discussion. Or one thousand dollars on a suit. We're talking about jeans. Jeans. it's really sick. funny as hell. But still sick.

--- Original message by Denimheadcase on Oct 11, 2005 12:10 PM

Dude, you're crazy. I like your taste in music and all, but you're sounding like a nut.

It's all good dude, let people give this guy some recommendations so he has some foundation to start from. Go to a store like American Rag and it'll take you hours to decide on what pair looks best. Shopping is exhausting.

Simply advising with "wear what looks good on your body" is an unrealistic expectation – a lot of people are programmed to like what they grew up wearing, which may look hideous but no one ever told them before. Brands that we recommend often pass the test and look good on a variety of bodies. Even then, it's tough to distinguish quality between several brands when you don't have a foundation or some basis to judge off of. Your plugging Double RL is guilty of the same thing you're criticizing - how do you know it'll look good on anyone else?

However, I do agree to take a girl with you to comment on fit (think it was songangel who advised this first). Without that voice you may be susceptible to groupthink and trend/brand obsession. Find the balance.

This is hilarious. DenimHeadcase..with a name like that I am apalled by the comments you are posting...but to each his own, I definatley feel you on the fact that people spend $500 on a freakin pair of jeans, which is ridiculous.

However, there are some people who work hard(like me) or spoiled rich kids that have money to spend on these items(I don't but oh well). Whatever floats your boat. I just like flashy things cuz I'm a low life materialistic biznotch, but a fitted one at that

Lastly, I am a noob in the Jean lifestyle(was gonna say GAME but people clownin) yet I have purchased a few in the past: Evisu, Diesel Kratt, Rock & Republic, Citizens, 7even, etc... which are all selvedge. Yes I had to break bread but I feel good in these jeans cuz I've earned it. So I am not asking people to prescribe me a pair of EXPENSIVE JEANS that are HIP...just to buy'em cuz of the hype

I just want another pair of great selvedge jeans =) HOLLA

Edited by bathe my ape on Oct 11, 2005 at 12:46 PM

Edited by bathe my ape on Oct 11, 2005 at 12:46 PM

I dunno... I can justify spending more on stuff that I will wear more frequently. Pants and shoes are usually no-brainers for me... jeans especially. What are you really paying for when you drop $250 on jeans, $600 on boots, $1,200 on a coat? You're probably paying mostly for name, almost just as much for quality & materials, and the least of all, style... which is so subjective. I don't know anyone other than myself that can justify how much I paid for for clothes. My wife certainly doesn't support my expensive shopping habit.

Would I pay $500 for jeans? Probably never... but 5 years ago I never though I'd pay over $500 for a wool sweater... or over $300 for wool trousers... so who knows? Plus, if you have the money, who's to say how much is too much for anything? I can shake my head at rich old men that buy exotic cars and never drive them to their full potential... but that's their prerogative. Who am I to judge? And I think that's what people were responding to when you passed judgement by saying "I suggested there was something inherently fucked up about spending several hundred dollars on jeans". So... really... you're saying people are fucked up for spending that kind of money on jeans? Some people spend that much on a bottle of wine... WHO GIVES A SHIT?

Quote: Your plugging Double RL is guilty of the same thing you're criticizing - how do you know it'll look good on anyone else?
I don't. And in that one regard, I don't care. And furthermore, when did I suggest that? Gee, but I am happy to see that so many can read so many different things into my post. I admit that from to time I do enjoy lobbing a handgrenade into a crowd, to gauge a reaction, but I wasn't doing that this time. Shop all you want. Spend what you like. Set up a tent in a store. Live there. Be happy. Be free. But I will form an opinion of all that.

Quote: And I think that's what people were responding to when you passed judgement by saying "I suggested there was something inherently fucked up about spending several hundred dollars on jeans". So... really... you're saying people are fucked up for spending that kind of money on jeans? Some people spend that much on a bottle of wine... WHO GIVES A SHIT?
Yep, I can see that. For sure. But you know what, I'd rather drink the wine than have the jeans. The value I place on jeans is...But that opens up a really deep discussion on values, and like you say "who gives a shit"?

Ape, I like your description of yourself. I know where you're coming from.

To show my contriteness, I will tithe to the house of Gucci immediately.

Edited by Denimheadcase on Oct 11, 2005 at 12:58 PM

Edited by Denimheadcase on Oct 11, 2005 at 01:01 PM

LOL DenimHeadCase...you nigerian! I was just playing foolio. But I do like materialistic things, who doesn't? I just don't place them in a high place like most do...but don't get me wrong. These "expensive" jeans are for people with MONEY!

I just wanted a nice pair of jeans in the $200 range, not $500 ;P

Like alot of posts this one has turned into a giant pissing contest with folks calling one another gay? Does anyone agree with me that the "Gay" calling out is widely used on this board?

Yeah and it's getting out of control. Calling someone gay for what they like or dislike is just plain playground isn't it?

If you can't structure a debate without name calling you need to step out and re assess what you are doing. We are talking about clothing after all.

Wow....I took a quick survey of my wardrobe or should I say closet, and just found out that I was gay....I guess I gotta find the right way to tell my girlfriend. I'll also have to explain to her that I can't spend the money I earn as I wish cause spending $500 on jeans makes me a social deviant (and a gay one at that...which makes me doubly dangerous).

To the original poster: you're doing the right thing by getting some info from denim nerds, but don't forget to try the stuff in person...

Quote: If you can't structure a debate without name calling you need to step out and re assess what you are doing. We are talking about clothing after all.
And if you can't respond to a post that was as structured as you, through the obtuseness of your ignorance, insist upon, then you have no business interjecting anything into the thread. And you, fuuma, same thing. Read the post, jackass.

Hey, everyone here's gay boys and the jackasses. And you're really crazy.

I bet you have a sign on your desk that says "you don't have to be crazy to work here but it helps".

Ignorance can't be obtuse by the way. That's an oxymoron. But then, we don't want to descend to namecalling, do we?

Ignorance is a lack of knowledge, or a willful lack of desire to improve the efficiency, merit, effectiveness or usefulness of one's actions. Ignorance is also a "state of being ignorant" or unaware (not knowing). Obtuse is being dense: slow to learn or understand; lacking intellectual acuity. Paul is so dense he never understands anything I say to him. Paul, go back to your corner.

denimheadcase grew up on the farm and is the realest motherfucker alive.

denimheadcase knew brando and dean personally, PERSONALLY. he worked on the farms with them before they blew up.

denimheadcase thinks you're gay and you should just accept that you are, because again, realest motherfucker alive.

hah, not really.

you're a douche, denimheadcase.