Self Edge x Sugar Cane - SExSC06

Ry'on

Hey, can you tell me how much it shrinks? Thanks!

Buttloads. Inseam shrank from 34.5" to 31". About 2" in the waist, I think. Pretty intense for a first experience with unsanforized denim.

Nice you even kept a water bottle of the indigo water lol. Mine didn't bleed nearly as much since I did a cold soak as per Gino's suggestion. Size 29 as well?

Someone else did it in this thread. When I saw how inky the soak water was, I had to bottle it. The dye and sediment has settled at the bottom now though.

I hot soaked them for 45 minutes, followed by 20 minutes in the dryer on medium, then hung over a heat register to finish drying.

I'm really looking forward to wearing these in warmer weather; the slack weave denim breathes quite nicely.

img2361crop.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Heres a sizing question: So my hips are about a 34.5 to a 35. Will a size 38 be way to big for me or would i be just fine? I hear the waist shrinks a ton(about 2inches as stated by peterparker) so Im thinking a size 36 might be way too small.

Cross post from the small questions thread:

I'm seriously considering SExSC06, but I have a small question about sizing.

Does anyone have an idea how Self Edge measures the waist compared to BiG? I've only worn stuff bought from BiG before (PBJ 007 and Left Field Tweeds) and I would like to compare those to the Self Edge measurements.

I noticed that both carry Sugar Cane Hawaii's and Okinawas and for those the BiG measurements are 1 inch larger than Self Edge for the same tagged size.

Basically I would like to know if I could just subtract 1 inch from the BiG measurement for the Tweeds adn buy the SExSC06 in that size?

Your help is much appreciated.

you should probably try n find a place that sells them first before you worry about sizing

Thanks for your utterly unhelpful reply. I don't need advice how to live my life. I need help with comparing BiG measurements to Self Edge measurements or more specifically with the sizing of the jeans that are the subject.

Perhaps baldy doesn't have the sizing advice you're looking for, but at the very least he gave what I thought was good advice. If you already know a place that has them in stock, good for you, but imagine if you hadn't already found such a place... wouldn't you be bummed to do all that sizing homework for nothing?

Perhaps baldy doesn't have the sizing advice you're looking for, but at the very least he gave what I thought was good advice. If you already know a place that has them in stock, good for you, but imagine if you hadn't already found such a place... wouldn't you be bummed to do all that sizing homework for nothing?

Yes I would be bummed.

I agree that baldy's advice was good hadn't I known where to buy them. Your reply on the other hand was both good and useful.

Here are my SExSC06 now that I've started wearing them for their second season. I can't say that I'm too impressed with any fades, you have to use a looking glass to find them...okay, looking yery closely will do as well. One slight crotch damage that I'm not yet getting repaired (but advice on what denim to use for any repair job for these already is appreciated). What I love most about them is their feel. Awesome-true stuff for a denim head.

2i78e1x.jpg

Hey Vanquish-good to hear from you and nice to know that you're still taking an interest in these!

You have seen Grouse Allergy's entry a few posts up, according to which size 31 is available at Farinelli's? Or you could slim down and re-try a 30 ;o), these should absolutely be worn tight!!!

sorry dude, i was just trying to be helpful since i was in ur position before as well and realized that i couldn't find the sizes i was looking for (32 or 33) when i finally figured out sizing. also i only thought big and se carried them, was unaware of farinelli

Hey Vanquish-good to hear from you and nice to know that you're still taking an interest in these!

You have seen Grouse Allergy's entry a few posts up, according to which size 31 is available at Farinelli's? Or you could slim down and re-try a 30 ;o), these should absolutely be worn tight!!!

Nah Farinellis is out of all sizes. Supermarket is my best bet :) 30 is too tight for my blood lol

sorry dude, i was just trying to be helpful since i was in ur position before as well and realized that i couldn't find the sizes i was looking for (32 or 33) when i finally figured out sizing. also i only thought big and se carried them, was unaware of farinelli

Don't be sorry. It was my bad. I misinterpreted the tone of your post. I'm sorry.

Zelah: Yours look nice, a little looser than mine, and somewhat more faded. What size are yours and how much wear did they get? I'm impatient for some more fading...should do more radical things in them than walking and sitting, I suppose.

Ok, so I managed to snag a size 30 in these. I can button them fine pre-soak, but I'm concerned about whether I can wear them post-soak. There seem to be two camps in this thread: one that talks about how crazy the shrinkage is on them, and another that says that they stretch a huge amount.

Is it worth it for me to hang onto these, maybe do a tub soak to try to arrest the shrinkage in the waist? Or should I just return these and mourn having missed out on a great pair of jeans (I can't find a 31 anywhere)?

Mine fit fine in the waist pre-soak, and they fit fine in the waist post-soak, too. I doubt you'll have much trouble fitting in them after a soak, since they do stretch quite easily. And the fact that they already fit your waist pre-soak is a good thing, since they won't get too baggy with wear. I soaked mine in the tub initially and wore them around while still wet. I've also washed them in the machine on hot and they were fine then, too. They're a pretty malleable pair of jeans, so if you like them I'd say soak em. Post fit pics afterward if you do.

After much hawing, no hemming, and one additional instance of trying on, I've decided I'm going to return them. The problem is that they fit the way I'd want them to fit post-soak just about everywhere. Even if I stop the waistband from shrinking or successfully stretch it back out, they're still going to be too snug through the top block and upper thighs. I think these jeans are fantastic, but they're just not going to work for me in a 30.

I'd greatly appreciate a PM if anyone finds a pair in size 31, though I'm not holding out much hope for that happening.

Ok, so I managed to snag a size 30 in these. I can button them fine pre-soak, but I'm concerned about whether I can wear them post-soak. There seem to be two camps in this thread: one that talks about how crazy the shrinkage is on them, and another that says that they stretch a huge amount.
After much hawing, no hemming, and one additional instance of trying on, I've decided I'm going to return them. The problem is that they fit the way I'd want them to fit post-soak just about everywhere. Even if I stop the waistband from shrinking or successfully stretch it back out, they're still going to be too snug through the top block and upper thighs. I think these jeans are fantastic, but they're just not going to work for me in a 30.

I say you made the right choice in returning them. I bought mine TTS and while they fit rather generously pre-soak, after a hot soak and a 20 minute tumble in the dryer followed by a hang dry, they were rather slim. The waist and thighs were snug to begin with and for the first couple of weeks. Since then, they have stretched out to be comfortable although nowhere near the pre-soak measurements.

In summary, TTS is the way to go.

• 2 weeks later...