washing jeans?

Guest dontcaretoomuchforcrap

Guest dontcaretoomuchforcrap

plain and simple, can anyone explain this 'wearing jeans everyday for a year, and never washing them' thing?

i hate how jeans shrink, but in terms of wear, what does it do?

don't people tell you you should wear other pants?

wear em raw for a few months. depending on personal preference of wear itll probably be between 4 and 12 months.. most people go for 6. the way you wash them is up to you. most people use a cold or warm rinse cycle and then let hang dry. there are many many different ways to go about handling your jeans tho.

I just picked up this ritual here at supertalk. A lot of people who post here seems to know a lot about denim and there is logic to it. It gives you a fading effect that represents how you actuallly wear your denim instead of jeans that are pre-washe which have fades in places that are in the wrong places.

what i did for my RRDS was i took a nice warm bath, it didnt change the color at all, it jst made it a bit more blue instead of the reallyy dark blue you get with it unwashed.

the hotter the water, like 60 C, will give you the best contrast and a much lighter outcome, a darker wash would coema s a result of soemthign like 40 C, i Washed mine in about 30 C, so nothing much changed but they got alot softer n such

chwa?

Guest aerothem
Quote:

Yeah dontcare, I think you of all people would know whats up with not washing jeans/dry-denim phenomenon. Jesus man, I think you're slipping on your A game.

--- Original message by djrajio on Sep 25, 2005 08:35 PM

What A game?

Quote:

anyone know how much dry denim shrinks after a wash? i'm specifically talking about nudies, because i got nudie straight svens and hope they length of the jeans don't shrink too much. anyone have experience with a considerable amount of shrinkage in the length of the jeans?

--- Original message by ddohnggo on Sep 29, 2005 12:25 PM

They shrink about an inch, maybe a little less, maybe a little more, lengthwise.

If you're worried, you can stretch the legs after washing.

Quote:

ive never had a pair of nudies but im pretty sure theyre sanforized.. so theyre not gonna shrink much (they will shirnk alot however if theyve been stretched out alot)

--- Original message by adsurgo on Sep 29, 2005 01:02 PM

that's not true.

in my experience, nudies dry shrink about 1.5" (in moderately hot water). give or take a quarter inch depending on the water temperature.

but, you can stretch them out about .5-1" while they're still damped. if you measured twice and cut once in the beginning, you won't have to follow this exercise everytime you wash...but then again, you wouldn't be washing them very often anyway.

"God is Dead" - Nietzsche icon_smile_angry.gif

"Nietzsche is Dead" - God icon_smile_cool.gif

• 2 months later...

not washing them will preserve the color. however, not washing them for A YEAR, that's a new development. after a year, you'll definitely see high contrast wear marks (in fact, you'll most likely see serious holes and tears). if you can stand the smell, it'll probably be pretty cool looking once you wash them.

while i've done this with a pair of jeans in the past (levi's 501, 1955 -- didn't wash them for 12 months), i won't be doing it again anytime soon. the results are too much like these weird wash jeans they sell nowadays. plus, i'm just not into stinky jeans. i like clean clothing.

still, i think you should only wash your jeans when they're dirty. and that's probably only once a month or so. and when they're new, you can proably make it longer than that.

damnit, i'm levi straus. i know what i'm talking about.

i was thinking about that. sure. i've just got to borrow a digital camera. will probably do so next week, as i want to sell some stuff on ebay. two birds in one stone, and all that.

the 55s are awesome, but to my mind a bit of a pain in the ass, as i'm constantly getting them repaired (the fabric is very thin now). still worth it, as fashion has nothing to do with practicality, or comfort.

the 1955s are funny. i bought two pairs about 4 years ago. one pair was my true wast size, and the other was one size smaller. the true waste jeans like like shite (i still wear them when i don't want my 'good' pants to get messed up), and the size smaller, 33 (which have since stretched out), are the best jeans i've ever had/seen in my life. my girlfriend calls the true-wasted ones 'dad' jeans (cause they look like the jeans your dad would wear). but she wants to have sex with me whenever i bust out the ones a size smaller.

she's funny that way.

• 1 year later...

And unwillingly only did I ask my way--that was always counter to my taste! Rather did I question and test the ways themselves.

A testing and a questioning hath been all my travelling:--and verily, one must also LEARN to answer such questioning! That, however,--is my taste:

--Neither a good nor a bad taste, but MY taste, of which I have no longer either shame or secrecy.

"This--is now MY way,--where is yours?" Thus did I answer those who asked me "the way." For THE way--it doth not exist!

Thus spake Zarathustra.

quoted for truth