australia :: melbourne :: shopping

Tyro1

thanks for this kuug,

when are you heading to japan? any stores you will be definitely visiting?

I'll be going to Japan from the 6th Dec till 5th Jan, and Korea after that. There's a lot of stores that I have in mind to visit, but number one on the list is definitely the Lift Tokyo stores. They just look insane.

But if anybody else has any recommendations on places to go, eat, etc. feel free to let me know. Only going to have 8 days in Tokyo though...so I hope that's enough.

how much do prescription lenses cost here on average? i've got a pretty high degree and astigmatism but i don't need those really high index lenses. i'd heard they were significantly more than overseas even with health coverage, in which case i might have to schedule a flight back to singapore for a short holiday...

woke up this morning to find my yanagi gawa ichiro's completely mangled by my dog.

2rgzw3q.jpg

yeah footscray definitely has the best Bahn Mi, I can't remember the name of the place, its on the furthest side of the market from the train station. They have another shop in Victoria Street (little Vietnam) too.

Carlton is a good area, you are close to everything, what are you interested in?

hmmm pretty much anything? im from sydney :)

but i've been living in queensland for a couple of years now so i'm really deprived of everything. :(

just shoot me some recommendations, for any activities or hang out spots in and around the city, i've already gone to fed square to watch tourists watch themselves on the screen hahahaha

cheerssss

Naked for Satan has always been fun everytime I've gone. Food (bite sized pintxos) are only 2 bucks each, drink selection is great and the decor is awesome.

EDIT: just remembered pintxos are 50 cents during lunch so if you're here for a holiday rather having to to to work/school during the day go have day drinks and awesome cheap as fuck finger food.

Initially didn't want to blow this spot but the best food I've had here is in Footscray, wittily called Foodcrazy (the Chinese name is far more legit). Don't order safe stuff like the sweet and sour pork, that shit is for white suckas. Order the dangerous looking things. Don't accept the "white people menu", take the other one which has better stuff and is also in english. Almost every meal there has been mind blowing other than the abovementioned dish and the hot pot, which isn't bad but not outstanding.

The deep fried squid in particular is not what you'd expect. They sprinkle some crack on it to give it that extra zing. It's great.

Gill's Diner!

D.O.C Pizza (Carlton) http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=4&sqi=2&ved=0CDMQFjAD&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.theage.com.au%2Fnews%2Frestaurant-reviews%2Fdoc-pizza-and-mozarella%2F2007%2F11%2F05%2F1194117942592.html&rct=j&q=D.o.c%20carlton&ei=cFniTNv9IYXBceb_hdsL&usg=AFQjCNERWf-crfltSe2LwwxtHvqWbOqzcw&cad=rja

You've got your standard hipster/modern thai bar "Cookie"

If you're into Thai/Asian, Red Spice Road

Ciccolina in St Kilda for some Italian

The Mess Hall in the City is also good for a nice meal

For an awesome steak, Squire's Loft Steakhouse in South Yarra is fantastic.

A new one in South Yarra is 'The Millswyn'. Previously known as 'Lynch's' has now be sold and completely changed.

Attended the opening last week. Excellent place to take a girl. Trendy little bar with some stunning cocktails upstairs too.

http://www.themillswyn.com.au/

If you like stupid savoury flavoured mousse and spending $ type stuff: Vue de Monde, Jacques Reymond, Ezard

Good eating: La Luna, Gill's Diner,

If you like Gastro Pubs: Hotel Lincoln, The Grand,

Foreign Cuisine: Los Amates (Mexican), Hu Tong (Dumpling), Rumi (Middle Eastern), Bar Idda (Sicilian), Hellenic Republic (Greek), Mamasita (Mexican),

Good Honest Pub Meal: The Napier, Commercial Club Hotel, The Gem,

hmmmm, I'm sure there is stupid obvious things I've missed... anyone else?

Avoid Mamasita. Product of Melbourne's restaurant hypebeast machine.

When I went, I went late...about 9ish on a Tuesday night. Arrive in the stairwell with a few people in front of us.....Maitre D' comes down and says about 20 min wait to me and the girl I was with to get a table. 30 mins later nothing. So I walk up the stair case and ask him what's going on.....he openly mocked me by saying 'what is wrong sir, you look verrry upset!'.

I did not appreciate this and had a few words with him regarding the service. If I had not heard such 'amazing' things about mamasita I would have promptly left....

He directed us in straight after this, to the bar, 40 mins after a promised 20 mins for a table. Again, to the bar? By this time it was at least 9.30 and I was hungry and pissed off by the shocking service.

10 mins later get a table...Got some complimentary street corn (quite good), had the soft tacos (lil overpower for me), the roast goat and a few other dishes.

Overall, the food was good, not amazing....however, the service was downright terrible. For those prices, the service should be spot on, and some may say serving sizes are too small.

aside from the mocking comment (and possibly other bad servicing), the 20 min wait time is just an estimate. sometimes it can be difficult guessing even with years of experience. after all the maitre d did come down to warn you there will be a wait time, usually a clue to get you to think about dining somewhere else.

aside from the mocking comment (and possibly other bad servicing), the 20 min wait time is just an estimate. sometimes it can be difficult guessing even with years of experience. after all the maitre d did come down to warn you there will be a wait time, usually a clue to get you to think about dining somewhere else.

he estimated 10 mins, and a 'maximum wait' of 20.