australia :: melbourne :: shopping

Tyro1

ANZ or CBA travel cards

- around $15 to start, first currency conversion occurs no charge; after that 1% of transfer charged (1.1% for ANZ).

- Free to use at POS and online, $2.5 or around to withdraw overseas.

- Take a few cents off the official exchange rates

- CBA can apply online through netbank, ANZ through branch

- Both reload through BPay

- My CBA card came 4-5 days after order and you get two cards which you activate with separate pins.

Travelex Cash Passport

- Similar to above, seemed like a little better XR but more difficult to get it seems

If going for cash, pre-order through Travelex.

In the end the difference in cost will be negligible (I spent more time trying to work out opportunity cost than it was worth) so go for most convenient: CBA Travel Card

yo, thanks for the heads up, ivans.

however, they be ripping on the exchange front:

actual USD: 0.947.

cba travel card: 0.9140

actual YEN: 80.86

cba travel card: 75.51

we're really at their mercy, aren't we?

guess i've just been spoilt with my fee free / true exchange wizard mastercard..

ANZ or CBA travel cards

- around $15 to start, first currency conversion occurs no charge; after that 1% of transfer charged (1.1% for ANZ).

- Free to use at POS and online, $2.5 or around to withdraw overseas.

- Take a few cents off the official exchange rates

- CBA can apply online through netbank, ANZ through branch

- Both reload through BPay

- My CBA card came 4-5 days after order and you get two cards which you activate with separate pins.

Travelex Cash Passport

- Similar to above, seemed like a little better XR but more difficult to get it seems

If going for cash, pre-order through Travelex.

In the end the difference in cost will be negligible (I spent more time trying to work out opportunity cost than it was worth) so go for most convenient: CBA Travel Card

yo, thanks for the heads up, ivans.

however, they be ripping on the exchange front:

actual USD: 0.947.

cba travel card: 0.9140

actual YEN: 80.86

cba travel card: 75.51

we're really at their mercy, aren't we?

guess i've just been spoilt with my fee free / true exchange wizard mastercard..

Hours can be pretty isolating especially dinner services. But if you're doing just breakfast/lunch than it's not so bad. If you're not a mourning person than getting up 5:00 to prepare is going to be a pain. Also hire good people to reduce the stress! All pretty basic advice but 4+ years in the hospitality industry and I don't really think I want to go back.

oh wow tyro, that'd be awesome. a sufu gathering ought to be ensued.

Hours can be pretty isolating especially dinner services. But if you're doing just breakfast/lunch than it's not so bad. If you're not a mourning person than getting up 5:00 to prepare is going to be a pain. Also hire good people to reduce the stress! All pretty basic advice but 4+ years in the hospitality industry and I don't really think I want to go back.

worked 5 + years in hospitality during unis :o

So I've got a basic double-layered tank (0044) I'm vaguely interested in selling that's too big for me. Dilettante have it at $269 which is kind of a bullshit price, what do you guys think a reasonable amount would be? I'm kind of new to this so I'd appreciate the advice.

wont be a cafe really, more of a lunch, evening place. Definitely would serve booze. Thanks for all the help guys, if anything eventuates, y'all have a place to hang in Melbourne.

haha, my goal in the next 5 years is a morning to late night concept cafe (w/o booze). gonna just be a chillin place

A friend of my family and his brother own a few pubs / cafes around town, from seeing the shit he has to go through, dunno why anyone would want to get into that type of business unless they're willing to give everything they've got and sacrifice a lot of time and money. With that said, if you're that committed then go for it but you'll need to have a huge financial backing. He and his brother had a fair bit of money already from their father, still they had to approach investors to cover basic costs.

I'd suggest you get someone to manage the business while you work on it, one of the brothers' marriage is basically failing due to him being forced to put so much time into the business and the other one is constantly stressed. No idea why they don't consider selling the businesses; the land they own is worth $15 mil+.

agreed, wouldn't manage it myself without having prior experience. had a friend who took over a small deli type place. was profitable but was too straining especially since he was in a different industry prior so he ended up selling it after about a year or so.

at the very least, get someone with considerable set up experience to run it with you

Hey guys,

I'm studying abroad with a field program in Australia, and I'm rolling through Melbourne (after a 24 hour train ride from Lismore) for Saturday night and Sunday with my group on our way to Tasmania. Anything essential I should hit up in the city while I'm there? Any good bars you guys recommend for Saturday night?

fat sale was almost barren in 40 minutes. I couldn't find a single claude maus item, and 1 type of CON shoe only. got a PAM tee for 30 bux though.

Regarding that, there were some really good pieces there in the first few. was going to cop a PAM parka but decided against because it had PAM written on it like a slogan. Did cop the PAM azure oxford which, luckily, went well with the CdG denim tied hem capris + Opening Ceremony shoes I wore <3. Also got a fixxed blazer with green hue mesh fishtail thang going on, perfect for one of the ksubi silk screen prints that I bought eons ago, and an asuza polyester/cotton blend jacket that was hella cheep and steezy.

A good pickup sesh, I think. All up only $360.