australia :: melbourne :: shopping

Tyro1

hate to be 'that guy' but can anyone tell me some good places to go in melbourne (that aren't shops or bars etc)? I have already looked through the map and found the places i want to visit (down from brisbane for a few days) but wondering what else you would recommend doing or seeing while there. thanks!

@ Land this is probably a dumb suggestion but you know about RMIT village right?

Yeah I looked into that, seems all they have left is 1 bedroom apartments and they want $355 per week, which seems ridiculous. I also found some management companies that have buildings catering to uni students but all they have left are the expensive rooms. Thanks tyro for the info on the different areas, I did some research on Fitzroy and Collingwood and I can see on a cultural stand point why those areas are desired. I would prefer to live in Carlton/ Fitzroy/ Collingwood but at this point I just need to find a place so i'm not living on the street. Hopefully I get lucky and something comes up. Thanks for your help

i lived in the city for 4-ish years too... Come to think of it i didn't hate it while i was staying there... but i do prefer it a little outside now that I'd moved out for about a year as i can't stand the city environment anymore personally. head to the city like once every couple weeks these days or only when absolutely necessary.

just outside i've got woolworth's, grocers, plenty cafe's and restaurants and all those asian-owned $2 stores outside that have everything so it really is just as convenient.

sounds like youre in the right spot lotek. its all about balance..you want to be close to things but not so close that your surroundings are cluttered with people and BS.

btw, am i the only person who feels like SZ is a 'closed' community?

Collingwood is good, but I would avoid being in the hoddle / highway corner, as you are a bit too far from the action there. Further towards wellington / smith streets and then below easey st is the better area of it I think. Gertrude st has plenty of Cafe's / stores. Good bars throughout the area (maybe one less than there used to be). Gem is great, Grace Darling was good, but is now just like the Builder's Arms with good food, shit service and too many hipsters. Always good parties in the area too.

i think SZ is very much a closed community, and isn't ashamed of being one. it's not a bad thing per se, just the way things are. given the very very specific and niche aesthetics they appreciate, i'm not surprised. like you can't expect a guy to rock up to a death metal community and say stuff like "yo so sLiPkNoT's pretty heavy guyz".

also, collingwood's best kept secret is proud mary, which opened up not too long ago on oxford st (like 1 min away from my place) but is the best cafe ever. serious gourmet coffees there.

also, RIP Tote and Arthouse.

been scouring through sale threads, but most are marked as "SOLD". Anyone know what the average CCP suit price is on the sufu/SZ markets?

Sure sales of late have ranged from around 800ish Sagaji.. Up to roughly 1700 for the Rado suit that sold recently..

You guys talking about coffee should start naming names! plz :<

i lived in the city for 4-ish years too... Come to think of it i didn't hate it while i was staying there... but i do prefer it a little outside now that I'd moved out for about a year as i can't stand the city environment anymore personally. head to the city like once every couple weeks these days or only when absolutely necessary.

just outside i've got woolworth's, grocers, plenty cafe's and restaurants and all those asian-owned $2 stores outside that have everything so it really is just as convenient.

i decide to move further from the city is because of the obvious increasing rent, and of course, i think would be good to have some changes.. to stay somewhere affordable.. and environmentally different.

living in the city has been nice tho,.. there are times I just can't sleep and I just stroll along the city in the middle of the night.. and it's one of those time i feel so relax, just by seeing the the street so empty, yet safe ( you can occasionally see guards patrolling the buildings and streets.)

anyway, stil looking for place.. : \

I am curious, what so closed about SZ? <<<

edit : oh, nvm about the SZ...

Abovementioned Proud Mary (http://www.melhotornot.com/proud-marys-cnr-stanley-oxford-sts-collingwood/)

Also, Brother Baba Budan and St Ali. All 3 are kinda related in a weird way but their coffees are serious serious bznz.

Nolan at Proud Mary let us try some of this cold filtered coffee he was experimenting with today, shit was soooo fucking good, but it's not on sale yet. and i don't even usually like coffee. their mango granita is also perfect for the weather, and food is also awesome. steak sandwich i had was this awesome medium rare supertender stuff. daaammnnn

edit: Tyro1 beat me to it

i think SZ is very much a closed community, and isn't ashamed of being one. it's not a bad thing per se, just the way things are. given the very very specific and niche aesthetics they appreciate, i'm not surprised. like you can't expect a guy to rock up to a death metal community and say stuff like "yo so sLiPkNoT's pretty heavy guyz". .

yea, i guess what u say is spot on. is there anywhere else on the internet that discusses carpe diems, ccp, etc?

has anyone been to cose ipanema lately? haven't been there yet :o

was told there are some individual sentiment stuff there..

i haven't been there lately either. But was at cose plus in south yarra on friday browsing a little bit while waiting for a friend.Tried on the viridi-anne deer skin coat, nearly 7K:eek:

I have them too, and they definitely fit about half a size bigger. I wear US12 and have them in a EU45.

7k for a VA coat is nuts. thats some incredible markup!

this question is more for DJI but i thought id open it up to others. Do the RO size zip boots fit true to size? im pretty sure DJI has tried them on at Assin. i ask as Oki-ni has a 43 on sale but im a 42.