This is for all of you making Lanvin jokes:

Charlie Delta

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

all jokes aside, i've heard the name thrown around for a few years but i didn't really look into them until the sneakers started becoming famous sometime last year/early this year. i'm always kind of uneasy when brands with a heritage become modern. i guess lanvin modernized gracefully but it still seems weird. they make sweatpants...

All jokes aside, Lanvin is the oldest fashion house still in operation.

Lanvin made such beautiful clothes for her daughter that they began to attract the attention of a number of wealthy people who requested copies for their own children. Soon, Lanvin was making dresses for their mothers, and some of the most famous names in Europe were included in the clientele of her new boutique on the rue du Faubourg Saint-Honoré, Paris. 1909, Lavin joined the Syndicat de la Couture, which marked her formal status as a couturière.

Wiki

I was actually a huge fan of Lanvin back when I was more into high fashion than contemporary streetwear. I still covet those Velvet bowtie/blazer joints from last season.

Their pricepoints are slightly lower in Japan, so it was fairly coppable at that point in my life.

Two weeks ago when I was buying shoes I had it down to Lanvin suede/leather laceups and NDC black whole cuts. I still regret not getting the Lanvins, but I couldn't do the extra 150$.

570 down from 1100$, such a deal...

Socal on styleforum has a bunch of lanvin pieces (non-sneakers) and that's the only person i've seen (besides a blazer fuuma has) wear it. Some of them are pretty neat, others a bit too dandy for me. I check out their runway looks when they come out usually. Everything is ultra luxury looking.Some of the shoes people are throwing around here look cool though.

I just went to the Lanvin flagship store in Ginza (tokyo) a few weeks ago and was blown away at the scope of their work, really amazing pieces mixed with some more modern work.

It almost seemed like there were two different minds doing the direction of the season..

Socal on styleforum has a bunch of lanvin pieces (non-sneakers) and that's the only person i've seen (besides a blazer fuuma has) wear it. Some of them are pretty neat, others a bit too dandy for me. I check out their runway looks when they come out usually. Everything is ultra luxury looking.Some of the shoes people are throwing around here look cool though.

I've been following the label for a while; when they started doing menswear runway shows, because I enjoy the direction Elbaz took with the womenswear. I like the overall image they project but find this kind of relaxed, sort of louche luxury difficult to integrate into most wardrobes. Their offerings are often in line with my vision when it comes to sports coats so I do have some Lavinz jaketz but no pants or dress shirts for example. The shoes are extremely hype and most colourways are ugly IMHO but when they work, they work pretty well.

Here’s some gay-ass post I made in reply to why I was wearing lavinz with arte poverta stuff like CCP…

“Bingo, the Lanvin jackets I own are from the collection where they subtly distressed the fabrics; this tuxedo is a linen mix and tend to look wrinkled and slept-in. Those kind of Lanvin pieces fit so well with the whole arte poverta aesthetics put forward by CCP and the continues brands (Carpe, Ma+, LUC, Augusta, etc) that Atelier (NYC heaven for those type of brands) tried to get a Lanvin men’s account to complement their other offerings.

You also have to take into account personal narratives, for example you'll notice I wear a relatively tailored jacket in most of my pictures (and I try to post outfits that vary from my usual look so this is even more the case when I’m not posting). One of my major inspirations is a character from a novel by Tonino Benacquista who’s a social parasite with no fixed income or home who’s got ins in high society parties and feeds on the free buffets and champagne; I picture him as wearing tailored clothes that look like you fell asleep in an alleyway.â€

it's just another brand...

yes, absolutely true, but you can say that about Supreme or Turnbull & Asser or Rolex or Levis or any superbrand . These kind of brands represent a much richer tapestry of heritage and ethos behind it in a way which a wings&horns or a raf simons, for all they're merits simply cannot. Just as when you buy japanese denim your not just buying a pair of jeans your buying into a deeper cultural brand, the same can be said of lanvin. Just as denim and workwear have a certain cultural history, lanvin has another.

or at least that's how i see it anyway:p

What makes me laugh about Lanvin is that the label was absolute shit from a "marketing and hype" perspective from as early as 2001 and basically aside from the higher end couture would license their name ala Pierre Cardin to whoever and whatever, such that it was never on the same level as Gucci, Prada, et al. It was only in the last few years, they pulled a "Burberry" and bought back all their licensing agreements, upped-their price points, re-branded their image, etc. They basically did a very good Gucci/Burberry turn-around. The current young-school boy Lanvin aesthetic doesn't really appeal to me but that's a personal preference.

What makes me laugh about Lanvin is that the label was absolute shit from a "marketing and hype" perspective from as early as 2001 and basically aside from the higher end couture would license their name ala Pierre Cardin to whoever and whatever, such that it was never on the same level as Gucci, Prada, et al. It was only in the last few years, they pulled a "Burberry" and bought back all their licensing agreements, upped-their price points, re-branded their image, etc. They basically did a very good Gucci/Burberry turn-around. The current young-school boy Lanvin aesthetic doesn't really appeal to me but that's a personal preference.

The brand was indeed pretty much dead, being sold at duty free shops around the world. It should be noted that Gucci, Prada and al. all had similar turnovers at some point in their history.

BTW Lanvin doesn't do haute couture anymore.

The brand was indeed pretty much dead, being sold at duty free shops around the world. It should be noted that Gucci, Prada and al. all had similar turnovers at some point in their history.

BTW Lanvin doesn't do haute couture anymore.

Duly noted.

Fuma the god dropped some knowlege on that shit. I just thought lanvin was a sneakers brand name with only one item in their entire existence. One single pair of white leather shoes. And then a 2nd item just recently released the same white leather shoe with a strap on it this time. I thought the company was only a year old and the owner a member of sufu. But I was so off.

Lanvin is not about being a fashionable company with all the trends. They just stick to classic pieces that can be worn year after year, but with a luxury notion to them. "Their clothing isn't cool, not one bit. In fact I totally recommend buying something different, like Prada." - Golden gloves. I totally disagree with you. I do not think Prada's mensline is cool at all.

Weather Prada's men's line is cool or not is completely subjective. But I agree that even trying to compare Lanvin w/ Prada is like apples and oranges. The type of male that is attracted to the Prada aesthetic tends to be a bit more eccentric/rarefied/somewhat worldly while the Lanvin men's asethetic tends toward a classic/elegant/luxurious Parisian sensibility. But I understand that Golden was being sarcastic w/ his comment...

Fuma the god dropped some knowlege on that shit. I just thought lanvin was a sneakers brand name with only one item in their entire existence. One single pair of white leather shoes. And then a 2nd item just recently released the same white leather shoe with a strap on it this time. I thought the company was only a year old and the owner a member of sufu. But I was so off.

Actually I started Lavinz, we're mainly an urban tee company but are planning to expand to custom sneaks and fixed gear...

Dude, Cotton started the thread I didn't say shit about the history of Lanvin aside from mentioning they stopped doing couture shows awhile ago and were sold in duty shops before they brought Elbaz on board to revitalize the brand. Oh and my nick is "Fuuma" not "Fuma".

Lanvin is not about being a fashionable company with all the trends. They just stick to classic pieces that can be worn year after year, but with a luxury notion to them. "Their clothing isn't cool, not one bit. In fact I totally recommend buying something different, like Prada." - Golden gloves. I totally disagree with you. I do not think Prada's mensline is cool at all.

He was being completely serious.

ive been following lanvin womenswear for years. seeing them jump on the shiny sneaker bandwaggon came as a surprise. how do i feel about it? their sneakers are nice, so props.

How many of you guys have actually ever handled a piece by Lanvin?

Were you aware that they make more than just shiny sneakers?

Any clue on the history of the brand?

You're becoming the very person you're making fun of!!!

me

yes

yes

i am not.