state your beer, drinkers

bdawg: american strong ales or red ales are always a plus for me though i am trying to get into sours. i think for the past 2-3 years my consistent beer of choice has been IPA's. i think this city eventually makes you a hop head.

shufon: i've only read about cigar city, a store near me is going to start getting some brews in soon.

I could probably put something good together for you Ren. Like imperial stouts or barrel agd stuff at all?

Cigar City's Hunahpu's Imperial Stout is amazing, one of the best of the style I've had. Their cedar aged beers also are crazy delicious.

had a bomber of arrogant bastard earlier with dinner (lentils, brazilian linguica, brussel sprouts)

then victory yakima glory - decent cascadian/black ipa

5335216168_0743f31816.jpg

now i am sipping on a 09 GI BCBS

5334593539_cc43b98565.jpg

New Belgium Globe glass an xmas gift from wifey

Ok well, our "tasting" that was supposed to happen tonight actually got cancelled, but I stopped by my friend's house this afternoon anyway to catch up with him while I'm in Nashville.

He's got a 4-tap setup now for his homebrews that he put together, also has a barleywine being aged in an Evan Williams barrel from 2000.

dscn1813d.jpg

dscn1811p.jpg

dscn1814k.jpg

dscn1815i.jpg

Had his DIPA, breakfast stout, and his "blonde barleywine" from his taps. The DIPA was not super floral or fruity, can't remember what hops he used in it but they were pretty earthy hops. He said the blonde barleywine was just an experiment that was basically just an extreme hefeweizen. The breakfast stout tasted like straight coffee and was like 8%.. I was pretty amazed by it.. basically was so identical to coffee that I felt like I could drink it in place of coffee every day if it had the same effect.

dscn1819j.jpg

dscn1824.jpg

Then onto the commercial stuff:

Cigar City Tropic-Ale

dscn1821r.jpg

Cigar City Cubano Espresso <-- tasted like Alesmith Speedway but not as thick

dscn1825d.jpg

Some other random shots.. what he's been drinking in the past few months:

dscn1823d.jpg

^Hill Farmstead Jim, 100% Barrel Aged Coton in the back, Heady Topper, Melange #3, Cantillon Blåbær Lambik, and a Dark Lord (2009 or 2010? can't remember)

Then what we didn't get into cause he had to go to work :\

dscn1828y.jpg

Weyerbacher Riserva

dscn1829w.jpg

Gratitude

dscn1830k.jpg

Hill Farmstead/Cigar City collaborations

dscn1831s.jpg

Mother of All Storms (he just got a case of this)

dscn1833y.jpg

dscn1836u.jpg

Dark Lord 2009 and 2010

dscn1843p.jpg

Cigar City 110k+OT 2010

dscn1837f.jpg

His stock of random stuff.. some older Cantillons and Fontaines, a lot of other stuff not mentioned above, and some bottled homebrew that he is aging.

Lastly he threw these at me to check out:

dscn1838n.jpg

Terrapin Moo-Hoo

Yazoo Sue (smoked porter.. their first high gravity beer)

Another barleywine he brewed

B-Dawg is an awesome dude to deal with. I know he doesn't really need anyone to vouch for him, but just thought I'd drop a good word.

Haven't been drinking too much beer lately, unfortunately.

Got a bottle of barbar winter bock I'm thinking of getting into in a few minutes, though.

And I guess I should go pick up some barley wines soon while they are around.

Sounds a bit gimmicky, as a lot of DFH's beers do to me.. it's actually good?

Most of their "off-center" beers are relatively faithful reproductions of either historical recipes or those of isolated or otherwise little-known smaller civilations' beers; and in my experience they are always the highest quality ingredients and thoughtful in process.

Niche for travelers and experimenters of the new and lesser-known. The Bitche's Brew is great, too.

Sounds a bit gimmicky, as a lot of DFH's beers do to me.. it's actually good?

I get that feeling too. Their main beers are good.

But it's like chocolate to me, I like dark chocolate, sometimes milk, maybe a nice bittersweet, but I don't want chili pepper, curry and avocado chocolate... you know what I mean? It could be delicious... sometimes you just want a beer.

I have enjoyed the Brew Masters show on DFH thats been running on Discovery, its a shame that it appears its over? Possibly one more episode?

I met Sam at a beerfest a few years back, and he seems like a legitimately good guy, and his passion is definitely bringing back these old recipes, and the show really showed that.

thanks for that!

bdawg you might want to keep your eyes out for a collabo between cigar city and the bruery. they brewed a sour brown ale not sure when they plan to release it. Alesmith barrel aged wee heavy should be out this month and their barrel aged 2008 decadence should be releasing soon.