state your beer, drinkers

Post-drink mini review...To be honest I like the Hopslam a bit more than the Pliny! To my surprise and shock...Granted, I had the freshest Hopslam outside of the Bell's Brewery itself and the Pliny was a bit older (less than a month though), but I don't think the age should affect it tooooo much. Pliny was a bit more balanced in that the hops aren't as apparent (for a DIPA) straight off the bat and there was a definite grapefruityness to it but overall I enjoyed the Hopslam more. The Hopslam had the most intoxicating hoppy smell to it that still haunts me (in a good way) till this day and has me craving more, with a fair amount of citrus/honey flavor yet still somehow superbly hoppy (how do they do it?!) which all goes down in the creamiest manner. To each their own and this is just my amateur subjective review but Midwest beat out the "invincible" West coast IPA today in my book! YMMV...

Again, thanks again to renski for making this possible, the Pliny is still a world class beer and one of the BEST IPA's I've had the pleasure to drink and I hope to someday try the Younger and Elder in their best form.

Cheers!

I'm in the process of locking down some Hopslam myself. Excited to try that bad boy.

Last night my household shared a Bourbon County Brand Vanilla Stout

168974_539582844800_30901258_31451469_1160747_n.jpg

The vanilla was more subtle than I expected. Came across more like strong vanilla notes from the barrel than straight beanz.

Shit B-Dawg, you got the Vanilla BCS and don't even live around here, I totally missed out on that.

I just got boned to death on a 6pack of Hopslam (after Chicago's hefty 11% sales tax, shitty 3-tier distribution system, and my local store's upcharge, the total was $21) Aho, hope you found some, there's plenty out there, I don't know why Binny's sold out so quick. West Lakeview liquors has a bunch (not where I got mine, they're cool) and I was seeing signs for it on local liquor stores on my way to get lunch today.

^Thanks for the heads up...checked a few chain places (Binny's, Whole Food's, etc.) and managed to get one six pack although it was apparently the last (Binny's)....Kind of crazy as I'm from Michigan and I'm used to seeing it in truckloads everywhere you go! It ended up being $17 for me btw with a Binny's card...

Delayed in the Philly airport again yesterday, so I stopped by the bar. They rotate different Long Trails so I tried the new one they had and a beer from a local Philly brewery:

Long Trail Centennial Red

longtrail.jpg

Dock Street Rye IPA

0114011540.jpg

No idea why they gave me huge glasses both times as they poured pints for everybody else, but I didn't mind :o

Also, putting a trade together right now to get a couple of Cigar City Cubano Espresso 4 packs, 09 Lost Abbey Cuvee de Tomme, RR Supplication, and probably some Temptation and Consecration.

LeBleu is scoring me better things than I expected :D

Cigar City's Hunahpu's Imperial Stout is amazing, one of the best of the style I've had. Their cedar aged beers also are crazy delicious.

Just noticed a guy I'm trading with has Hunahpu, going to try to work it into the trade.

Also, I have a bottle of Sexual Chocolate coming from the release day later this month. I'm not planning on drinking it so if anybody here wants to trade for it, let me know.

Sexual Chocolate

Lastly, just got these.. 4 of them are about to be boxed up for 2 different trades, will probably buy some more next week before the brewery runs out.

lebleu.jpg

I would possibly be interested in scoring a Le Bleu and a Sexual Chocolate from you, good sir..

^^^ if you ever make it to Stone, and they have it... they have the most wonderful vanilla stout ever... it's only available there or with growler...

Had their Cask Conditioned Vanilla Bean Smoked Porter when I was at Pizza Port Solana Beach. It was super delicious.

Shit B-Dawg, you got the Vanilla BCS and don't even live around here, I totally missed out on that.

Traded for a 6'er of BCS variants, a rare, three vanilla, and two coffee.

It's fucking on like donkey kong at Self Edge:

http://www.sfbeerweek.org/schedule?day=19&region=San+Francisco

Hell yeah it is! Come out and kick it with Kiya and me!

The past few nights have been good:

What could this be?

167248_539647350530_30901258_31452170_6942299_n.jpg

Oh damn this was nasty. Tasted and smelled like charred ass and bacon cooked in a campfire on plastic.

163732_539648792640_30901258_31452182_7945159_n.jpg

The mighty and coveted Surly Darkness was mad overrated. It's offensive that they charge $18 a bottle for this.

168473_539699311400_30901258_31452996_7672356_n.jpg

Also enjoyed a fresh bottle of Blind Pig, a home brewed saison with Brett, and a growler of Pliny with my buddies amongst all this heavy stuff

bdawg: i think they are trying too hard in europe to have aggressive beers. i had mikkellars 1000 IBUs' and it wasn't that great for the $18 that it cost. i would have hoped that they could have made the attempt to make it bitter but it was more of a malty strong ale than an IPA and was definitely a gimmick.

i always tell myself, that i would buy one but i would need a fair amount of people to help consume it.. so with that said..

SUFU beer geek and double bastard chug meet?

theres a guy at this bar i occasionally go to, who purchased it since he wanted the bottle. he was a bit disappointed when they said no take home so he said fuck it and had told the waitress to get everyone a glass and poured out a round for the bar.

^Would definitely be up for a sufu Double Bastard chug meet :D

Shitty cell phone pics, but:

Ithaca (+ 6 other brewers) Super Friends - barrel aged in Laird's Apple Jack barrels - still much prefer the original fresh Super Friends, but this was pretty impressive, much much better than the Super French (French oak aged Super Friends) I had back in early December.

superfriendsx.jpg

Sierra Nevada 30th Anniversary Grand Cru - it's oak aged Big Foot x Celebration Ale x Pale Ale, then dry hopped. I like what SN's been doing lately..

sn30thgrandcru.jpg

Lastly, Brooklyn Cuvee Noire

brooklyncuveenoire.jpg

I learned my cell phone camera has a flash tonight, haha :\