state your beer, drinkers

Exciting news in the world of myself: I got the job working in the tasting room at my local brewery! It will be my job to pour and discuss beers with visitors.

From what I heard during the interview they are expanding and are looking to begin holding events such as pairings and tastings. I am pretty damn stoked!

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to B-Dawg again."

that sounds like my dream job....

hmm, had a few pints of avery maharajah yesterday before my radio show

today (not particularly special): couple pints of bastard and a double dead guy

my memory is failing me, can't remember anything before that of note

edit: nice haul redgrail, tried to +rep but wouldnt let me either, haha

Today's haul:

Boon Oude Kriek

Unibroue La Fin du Monde (old favorite)

Dupont Foret

Ommegang Hennepin

The Bruery Saison Rue

img0010o.jpg

Family photo! (excuse iphone pic and ugly couch).

Will update with tasting notes when I get down with them - the Kriek I think is likely to go tonight if I get frustrated enough with my research paper.

Anyone have tips for places in san francisco to buy top notch bottles?

friday afternoon: couple buddies and myself made a trip over to alesmith during tasting hours. had copious number of tasters from the whole lineup of beers they had - speedway, old numbskull, horny devil, lil devil, nautical nut brown, wee heavy, ipa, x, anvil ale

got to talking with one of the tasters (who my one friend kinda knows thanks to going to their tasting hours on a semi-regular basis) and a few of the other staff, who suddenly started busting out some bottles of stuff they had been recently trading. highlight of the day was finally being able to try a sample of 07 dark lord. they were also generous enough to give us a 1/3rd full growler of brooklyn brewing intensified coffee stout to take with us

filled up our own growler with some old numbskull. wish we had brought the other one so we coulda walked off with some speedway as well but overall it was another great alesmith trip!!

Went up to Virginia this past weekend to visit a friend and decided to pick up some beers we can't get here in TN.

vabeerrunsmaller.jpg

From left to right:

Bell's Kalamazoo Stout

Bell's Pale Ale

Bell's Oberon

Blue Mountain Full Nelson IPA (Virginia local)

Bear Republic Big Bear Black Stout

Sierra Nevada Brown Saison (growler)

Lagunitas Imperial Red Ale

Founders Double Trouble

Southern Tier Oak Aged Unearthly

Ballast Point Big Eye IPA (My girlfriend wanted it? Haven't tried it yet)

Gueuze Fond Tradition

Hanssens Artisanaal Oude Kriek

Founders Red Rye Pale Ale

Founders Cerise

Allagash Curieux 2009

Lagunitas 2009 Correction Ale

Lagunitas Hop Stoopid

Ommegang Biere de Mars

Southern Tier Hoppe

Troegs Nugget Nectar x2

Reinaert Flemish Wild Ale

Bell's Expedition Stout

I actually drank quite a bit of this at the party we threw Saturday night :) From what I can remember... the Oak Aged Unearthly is incredibly good, I went back to the beer store before leaving and bought 6 more bottles; Hoppe was good but there are better DIPAs; the Reinart was my 400th type of beer and I definitely enjoyed it, good wild ale; Founders Cerise was weird, tasted like cherry flavored cider or something; Nugget Nectar was very tasty and well balanced, a great session beer, went back and picked up a case before leaving; the Sierra Nevada Brown Saison did not taste like a saison at all to me, it tasted like a sweet brown ale.. the title was misleading but it was a decent beer nonetheless; Bell's Pale Ale and Oberon weren't great, was just picking up singles to get a feel for the brewery and so far I'm not a fan.. haven't tried the stouts yet though; Blue Mountain Full Nelson was actually really good for a single IPA, I'm usually a fan of doubles more but I liked this beer.. also tried Starr Hill Jomo which is another local and liked it a lot, VA seems to have good local brewers; lastly, tried the Hanssens Artisanal Oude Kriek the night before I left, it was my first real lambic... I definitely enjoyed it, reminded me of a nice bretty wild ale with a sweet but tart cherry flavor mixed in.. pretty complex, I really enjoyed it, can't wait to try the Gueuze I picked up. Will be back soon with more reviews as I continue to drink this stuff :D

Nice pickups shufon. I agree about the Unearthly, that stuff is worth another buy. I just picked up some of Southern Tier's Cuvee series 2 that sounds good based on the Unearthly.

So does anybody have an opinion on Lost Abbey's Angel's Share? They had it at the store today and I passed because of the $30 price tag, but then read that there were "only 48 cases delivered to the entire state of Illinois." So I'm wondering if I should buy it just to hold on to or trade?

BTW, anybody in Chicago should hit up Binny's, they've got a craft beer sale for the whole month with some pretty good prices.

Ok, the drinking continues... tonight was Founders Double Trouble and Bell's Expedition Stout. The Double Trouble was good-- smelled great, very floral and sweet, taste was sweet up front with tons of hops after the sweetness, aftertaste was hoppier than most DIPAs I've had. The Expedition Stout was really good, changed my current opinion of Bell's Brewery. At first I thought the taste was way too overpowering with a very bitter aftertaste, but I let it warm up some and it had a great toffee/caramel taste. Also, I could smell it holding the glass about 2 feet away from my nose, really strong sweet smell.

Will put up some more reviews on Thursday... my friend just got some Speedway Stout, RR Damnation, Racer X, and a few other things that we are going to session.

TT, I have passed a few times on Angel's Share. If you have been following beeradvocate.com, you will know that the most recent batch hause caused a shit storm. They released it before it had fully reconditioned in the bottle (no carbonation yet) and many people have expressed outrage as their bottles never carbonated. I am sure the beer is delicious, but for $30 you expect a product that is really exceptional.

Shufon: killing it. Keep up the good work!

Just trying this:

Judas_Large.jpg

I'm definately not a big beer connoisseur so this beer is so strange to me. It's very sweet, tastes almost like cider. Definately smells cider-ish. I really do like it though. Is this just how Belgian Strong Ales taste?

Also bought a bottle of this:

chimay.jpg

Looking forward to trying it, has anybody else tasted it?

B-Dawg, once again I owe you rep. You saved me $30. Well, I'm gonna spend it on beer, it's just now I will be able to get more than 1 bottle with it.

From last week a pretty decent IPA:

3507859971_982915dc50.jpg

From last night:

3507866993_7de0b55429.jpg

My first barleywine surprisingly. It actually tasted about what I imagined a barleywine to taste like--sweet, a bit thick with good smell and aftertaste. Actually, the aftertaste reminded me a lot of what the Hopslam tasted like.

twistedtrees, Backburner is a pretty good barleywine, had it recently and enjoyed it. you should really try some of the JW Lees Harvest Ales, especially the Calvados Casks editions. The Stone barleywine is another good one.

Drank the Ommegang Biere de Mars tonight. Turns out this isn't a wild ale like I thought when I bought it.. BA says it is a Bière de Garde, never heard of the style? Nonetheless, the brett overpowers any other taste that even attempts to come out in this beer. Smelled it from the bottle before pouring and there was a nice sweet malty smell, but after pouring it was all brett along with the taste. Overall it was interesting but there are much better, complex beers that have brett in them.

TT, Deschutes just released the latest version of their barrel aged barleywine, Mirror Mirror. This one is not overly sweet, but is a bit hot. It will definitely be amazing with a year in the cellar (had their '05 vintage on tap last month and almost wept tears of joy). For anyone who doesn't get Deschutes in their area, I would be down to trade one for a beer I can't get in California, or just proxy you one (retails for $12 if anyone is interested).

Edit: Forgot the reason I came in here. Just got confirmation that Stone's 13th anniversary beer is an imperial red. I really love Lagunitas' take on this style of beer (super hoppy, with a somewhat savory side as opposed to any sweet malt), so I am really looking forward to it. Stone generally does no wrong.

B-Dawg, would totally trade you for the Mirror Mirror (not to mention other things) if I didn't live in TN. Should be moving in the next 6 months... at that point its on :D

Oh also, are all lambics super acidic or was it just the Oude Kriek that I had? The acidity killed me, had heartburn for like two hours afterwards.

B-Dawg, I might be down for a trade if you are interested in anything from the East coast you can't get out there. Maybe we can make it a couple bottles, I'd like to get my hands on some Pliny.

One of my favorite beers, Nugget Nectar, is an Imperial Red, so I'm anxious to compare the Stone to that.

B-Dawg, would totally trade you for the Mirror Mirror (not to mention other things) if I didn't live in TN. Should be moving in the next 6 months... at that point its on :D

Oh also, are all lambics super acidic or was it just the Oude Kriek that I had? The acidity killed me, had heartburn for like two hours afterwards.

Maybe some day ;) Acidity is one of the main aspects of lambics (from the Lactobacillus and Pediococcus bacterias). I once heard of Russian River's Vinnie Cilurzo having a stomach ache for a day after attending a sour beer event :P

B-Dawg, I might be down for a trade if you are interested in anything from the East coast you can't get out there. Maybe we can make it a couple bottles, I'd like to get my hands on some Pliny.

One of my favorite beers, Nugget Nectar, is an Imperial Red, so I'm anxious to compare the Stone to that.

I will let you know next time I visit my family in the Bay Area, as I can swoop some Russian River stuff then. Should be around end of May-mid June. Throw some ideas of good beer from your parts my way. What selection of Cantillon do you have, if any?

Had my first day working at Mad River Brewing Company today. It was fuckin epic. I got to pour beer for people and discuss it with them, I got a tour of the brewery (the hop room made me want to cry tears of joy), I lugged around 50lb bags of grain, and I got to see their latest seasonal, an imperial red, being bottled. I also got a free case of that imperial red (all employees get a free case of new beers). When I got home I drank beer that I saw bottled earlier! How cool!

IMG_3186.jpg

IMG_3189.jpg

Super hoppy, savory, and rich yet highly enjoyable, just as I like my imperial red

IMG_3192.jpg

Lately

IMG_3169.jpg

IMG_3171.jpg

IMG_3172.jpg

IMG_3181.jpg

Beer store by my parent's house, State line liquors, has a ridiculous selection of great stuff. From their website, the Cantillon they have are:

Fou'Foune, BRUOCSELLA, LOU PEPE FRAMBOISE, GUEUZE, and KRIEK, Rosé De Gambrinus, Saint Lamvinus, Vigneronne, along with the Iris, Kriek, and gueze

Tried to +rep for the Old Chub, but still can't rep you B-Dawg. Have you had Ten Fidy by Oskar Blues?

Also, sessioned with my friend last night.. Damnation, Hop Rod Rye, Gueuze Fond Tradition, Nugget Nectar, Double Trouble, Speedway Stout, Green Flash Double Stout. Pictures and reviews to come later :)

Anybody tried this:

4063.jpg

Thoughts?

Maybe I'm biased, but I love Coopers. Have only had this once or twice, and didn't particularly like it, but their Sparkling Ale is one of my favourite everyday type beers...if you get what I mean. Their Pale Ale is nice too, but a little weaker.

About to crack open a Coopers Sparkling Ale right now actually.

Beer store by my parent's house, State line liquors, has a ridiculous selection of great stuff. From their website, the Cantillon they have are:

Fou'Foune, BRUOCSELLA, LOU PEPE FRAMBOISE, GUEUZE, and KRIEK, Rosé De Gambrinus, Saint Lamvinus, Vigneronne, along with the Iris, Kriek, and gueze

We have much to discuss...

Tried to +rep for the Old Chub, but still can't rep you B-Dawg. Have you had Ten Fidy by Oskar Blues?

Also, sessioned with my friend last night.. Damnation, Hop Rod Rye, Gueuze Fond Tradition, Nugget Nectar, Double Trouble, Speedway Stout, Green Flash Double Stout. Pictures and reviews to come later :)

Nice lineup. I actually submitted a request to the beer guy at my spot to get Ten Fidy, since I saw they had their other beers.

I can't help but tell you guys stuff about working at the brewery. Today I packed samples/press releases to be sent to the beer media, including the Alstrom Bros of Beer Advocate fame. To make me feel better about the terrible grunt work my manager kicked me down four '07 and three '08 vintages of their barleywine, and some '08 extra stout. Stoked. I also bought (for $20 off) a case of their winter seasonal black IPA type beer. I love this job.

Yeah, Ten Fidy is kind of sweet but it's a good beer. Oskar Blues impresses me with the quality of beer they put in a can. Anyway, recap from my session last night.

Started off with the Russian River Damnation. The beer reminded me of a really spicy tripel. Haven't had anything by RR in a while, and this was my first time trying Damnation. Not quite what I expected (as with most RR) but really good nonetheless.

damnationj.jpg

Next was the Bear Republic Hop Rod Rye.. didn't get a picture of this poured, but it was a straight rye IPA. The beer itself was good but I'm not a fan of rye beers really. After that we poured the Gueuze Fond Tradition, which was awesome. Super sour, the smell was completely vinegar, the taste reminded me of warheads candy with some vinegar undertones. Totally awesome, I am definitely a fan of lambics/gueuzes at this point.

gueuzefondtradition.jpg

After that we drank Double Trouble, then Nugget Nectar, then the AleSmith Speedway Stout. Best stout I've ever had, hands down. Smell was totally chocolate, mouthfeel was super thick. At first, the taste was like a dark chocolate brownie, but as it warmed up it became more dry with coffee/espresso coming out. Definitely my favorite of the night.

speedwaystout.jpg

The last beeer we drank was the Green Flash Double Stout. This was a good stout but the mouthfeel was thinner than I like, and coming right after the Speedway Stout there was no comparison. Reminded me more of a single stout than a double at this point in the night.

Lastly, I know this is a beer thread, but my friend busted out this and a vaporizer at the end. I don't smoke but I'm graduating from undergrad tomorrow so I figured what the hell. Capped off a good session :D

pot.jpg

Edit: Forgot to put a picture of the entire session. The Woodchuck is my girlfriends, hah, I've tried to get her to drink good beer but she drinks this stuff instead.

session.jpg