state your beer, drinkers

Technically, the Ephemere designation for Unibroue now refers exclusively to the apple as its the only one currently being produced.

I thought it...alright, although the first time I had it, which would have been production from 2+ years ago, the apple flavor seemed superior. I do have to admit, they handle the apple flavor well, creating something that is uniquely apple-ey, but lacks the excess sweetness that can be associated with fruit beers.

Unless you have tried real lambic and decided you just can't do it. If you want recommendations, anything by Cantillon is mind blowing. Their framboise (both Rose de Gambrinus and Lou Pepe versions) is tops for me. If you're interested in a kriek, Ouse Biersel does an Oude Kriek that is super good.

Edit: If you really want to buy it, perhaps try the Lindeman's against a Cantillon in order to see why Lindeman's sucks. They use fruit juice (though their non fruit gueuze is pretty good) which makes it taste like a sweet girlie drink. Real lambic makers use whole fruit, skins, seeds/pits and all. This gives a very subtle fruit flavor (sometimes I find it to be more present in the aroma), and a wonderful earthiness that you don't get otherwise. It's very complex as well (lent by the fruit and the good base beer they use). I think if Lindeman's at least used their gueuze as the beer that was fruited it would be a bit more deece. By the way, try Russian River's Beatification if you get the chance. Transcendental.

Anyways, what I came in here for was to share a laugh with anyone else who has had the pleasure of visiting Russian River's brewpub.

Procrastination is on tap for their 5th anniversary party!!!

http://russianriverbrewing.com/wordpress/

A 9.3% beast herbed with fresh Sonoma vegetation. Mmmmmm...

Those big Brooklyn beers are over-priced. For ~$10 for the Local 1 and 2 and ~$25 for the Black Ops, much better beers can be had for cheaper.

The Southern Tier is good stuff. I picked that up last time I visited my parents in Maryland at Stateline Liquors in Elkton, MD. Other good hoppy beers I've had recently were Sierra Nevade Torpedo Ale, Clipper City Hop3 Loose Cannon, and of course Nugget Nectar (got a case for $38). Southern Tier make a couple more Imperial IPA, Gemini and Hoppe, I've had Hoppe, but don't remember what it was like

The So Tier Unearthly I had was far from fresh. The hops had faded into that "old DIPA that tastes like it wants to be a barleywine" deal. I have had numerous DIPAs with that problem though, which I know because they blew my socks off when fresh (Lagunitas' Hop Stoopid and Port's Hop-15 come to mind). Nugget Nectar was the closest thing I have had to Pliny. Veeeeery good indeed. I am jealous of your case, soonami!

The So Tier Unearthly I had was far from fresh. The hops had faded into that "old DIPA that tastes like it wants to be a barleywine" deal. I have had numerous DIPAs with that problem though, which I know because they blew my socks off when fresh (Lagunitas' Hop Stoopid and Port's Hop-15 come to mind). Nugget Nectar was the closest thing I have had to Pliny. Veeeeery good indeed. I am jealous of your case, soonami!

Funny you mention Hop Stoopid and Hop-15, part of my haul tonight...

3425018069_da9caf20eb.jpg

About the Flying Mouflan:

“We classify this beer as pushing Nugget Nectar off the side of a cliff. It is bold and intense–think hops dipped in candied sugar and rolled in dark chocolate nibs. Over time, the Flying Mouflan transforms into lush raisin and chocolate overtones as the hops subside and the rich barley flavors come out in the beer.â€
http://beernews.org/2009/03/troegs-brewing-to-release-challenger-to-nugget-nectar/

That's a damn shame! I would be willing to pick some up for you if you should ever desire.

I have not tried either of the two you mentioned, but from the reviews on beer advocate it seems like the Belle Vue Kriek is a real lambic. I would say that would be worth a try.

From last night, Lost Abbey Inferno Ale. I was surprised at its light, straw color and refreshing crisp, tartness for 8.5%. It wasn't a DIPA like I was expecting (although I don't know why I thought that)

3430157864_6f9720a2a8.jpg

The beer store a couple blocks from my house is having a Unibroue tasting tonight. The store is awesome for being like a corner store / average liquor store. They stock so much selection. Yesterday the owner started talking to me and asked if there was anything I wanted stocked. I suggested Russian River but he can't get it from his distributor (no surprise). But I did mention the Southern Tier Unearthy. They already stock a Southern Tier Chocolate Stout, but I haven't been in the mood for stouts lately. I picked up a Port Wipeout IPA for today or tomorrow though.

An interesting article to those who aren't familiar with the intricacies of Lambic:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123876896632486725.html

Someone rep this man for me...I don't spread my rep around efficiently enough to cover his contributions to this thread.

Awesome article, that will almost certainly see me drinking the bottle of Supplication I have tonight (not technically a lambic...but seems to have some common aspects) and searching out lambics anywhere I can get them.

ahahahaha

i'm pretty sure corona is mexican dialect for piss.

out of my last few travels, i have learned SD is cheaper than LA for beer. $8 for pliny the elder in LA vs $8 pliny the younger in SD also can anyone tell me why PBR and or olympia is cool is seattle?

Hipster kids trying to exude that working class vibe. Dumb.

Tonight I plan on having a good time listening to Bird and drinking some Adam.

How did that beer jello work out b-dawg?

Got a case of the 2009 Stone Imperial Russian Stout last night. Aging most of it but I drank one and it is definitely good. Heavy and thick on the mouth like any good IRS but it has a crisp hoppiness to it on the end that balances it out. Good shit. Also picked up t a few saisons and wild ales... Saison D'Erpe-Mere, Ommegang Ommegeddon, La Roja, Bruery Cuvee Jeune, and Bruery Saison de Lente. Lastly, went by the local brewery (Yazoo) and got two growlers filled with one time brews, one of their ongoing search for the perfect DIPA, now called Hop Project 13, and the second of Firefly Ale, which reminds me a lot of a weak DFH Raison d'Exra. Oh, and B-Dawg, you have to school me on lambics, it's something I've yet to get into due to being turned off by Lindeman's.

Nice selections, shufon. In reply to your asking for lambic schooling, here is an excerpt from a recent pm I sent to tmadd:

"To get into lambics... I did not like them at first, but I also didn't know the kind of time, effort, history and art that went into them. I think it takes time for the palate to grow and adjust too. Don't go getting the most fancy expensive one you can find to try first. Try to develop an understanding first and pick out some of the aromas and flavors, and work your way up to the $20+ bottles. Try kriek, framboise, and gueuze, and get ones that preface those titles with "oude" as the article mentions. That's the good stuff! Oh and eat bomb ass cheese with it. I just had a 10 year old oude gueuze yesterday with some funky aged goat chevre and some camembert. Mmmmmm..."

And here is the beer jello :)

IMG_3098.jpg

IMG_3105.jpg

It was delicious. I used Anderson Valley's Winter Solstice, a sweet spicy brown beer with raspberry jello. The beer blended really well, and was of course overpowered by the jello flavor (a la Lindeman's lambics). Our next plan is for our next get together to make double IPA or gueuze jello shots using gelatin (so there is no flavor besides the beer) for novelty's sake :)

I really liked the color in this Wipeout IPA. It was pretty good too, nice and hoppy (obviously), but not overly done with a slight bit of sweetness.

3438738623_ef2c37e3fe.jpg

and B-Dawg, thanks for the lambic link. The place around my corner stocks Cantillon Gueuze and Kriek. I definitely will try some soon, especially since I'm a fan of the sour ales (Roedenbach Grand Cru, DUCHESSE DE BOURGOGNE are the only ones I've had though).

..and B-Dawg, thanks for the lambic link. The place around my corner stocks Cantillon Gueuze and Kriek. I definitely will try some soon, especially since I'm a fan of the sour ales (Roedenbach Grand Cru, DUCHESSE DE BOURGOGNE are the only ones I've had though).

Funny, I had both of those on draft at Beneluxx last week at a friend's birthday party

I tried some Cantillon Gueuze last night. Not bad, definitely an acquired taste. I would like to try some of the Kriek. And I found a place a couple miles away that stocks a fairly big selection of Lambics--West Lakeview Liquors-- I'll have to go there in person.

This is from a couple nights ago

3457636423_f1115924f5.jpg

and for tonight, the wife brought back a present from Kentucky, Bluegrass Brewing Company's Bourbon Barrel Stout. The stuff is heavy and smoky, although not as good as getting it on tap.

3457640609_505b8914dc.jpg

a couple pints of avery maharajah yesterday and the day before

stone irs and sawyer's triple previous to that

can't remember what else noteworthy i've had before that lately, haha.... 'cept a goblet or 2 of consecration, cant forget that

I had some Avery Maharaja double IPA yesterday as well. I had it at the POPE while I watched the Phillies lose. It had a very full mouth feel with juicy tropical fruit flavors, delicious aroma and a grassy finish. It was great, but a little steep at $7 for a 8oz goblet.