state your beer, drinkers

Actually Three Floyds is just south of Chicago in Munster, Indiana. They have a great brew pub. They take the spent grains from brewing and give them to a local farmer. Then the farmer brings the cow back and that's where they get the meat for the steaks and burgers. So recursive

On the left, FFF Dreadnaught, their DIPA w/ 9.5% ABV. In the middle is the growler of Alpha King (which I'm working on as I type) And on the right is Popskull, a Three Floyds X Dogfish Head Collab. I can't wait to try it.

3544146931_fdbbda555b.jpg

Taking an overnight beer tour tomorrow and Thursday..

Tomorrow:

Leave the house at 10am..

Get to Russian River at noon, have pizza bites and as many beers as i can drink and still drive (safely)... Go to Third Street Aleworks a few blocks away and have another tasting and have their stout ice cream float.

Head to Healdsburg..

Go to Bear Republic, do a tasting there..

Check in at the Healdsburg Inn a block away..

Rest for a few hours.

Dinner at Cyrus (my favorite restaurant in the world) at 8pm..

----

Wake up and drive to Sonoma Springs Brewing Co. for a tasting, a completely off the chart brewery.

Have lunch and beers across the street at Mondo.

Go home pickled.

Sounds like a good trip Kiya. Also forgot to congratulate you on Graduating B-Dawg. What kind of job/career do plan on going into? Or are you gonna do more school?

Also, I never post in WAYWT because I know I dress bad (except for the jeans), but here's my Beer waywt: a FFF shirt I got last weekend.

3549384031_1371da10df.jpg

TT, thanks for the congrats. As far as a job/career, I just got that brewery job. There are 3 employees that run the taproom there, and the manager. Just found out today that the employee with seniority is leaving, and the other person above me wants to get out, so that leaves me in a pretty good spot for now, with room for growth in the company and a full time position in the near future. Additionally, I am the kind of person they are looking to have on board for the long haul (the other employees don't give a shit about beer). I will be sticking with Mad River Brewing Co. for a while, with a management position in the foreseeable future.

The CEO came in and got wasted on like 6-7 double IPAs while shooting the shit with me today. Got to hear all kinds of cool industry happenings. Pretty stoked overall.

Had to go to Atlanta today and decided to stop by a beer store and pick up some stuff... came back with a few goodies:

Cantillon Saint Lamvinus (for a friend)

Cantillon Lou Pepe Oude Kriek 2006

Saison Imperiale (Brewery = De Proefbrouwerij (bvba Andelot))

Great Divide Espresso Oak Aged Yeti

Nøgne Ø #100 Barleywine

Victory Hop Devil 6pk

p1020503.jpg

And Tennessee just passed legislation allowing us to have alcohol shipped into the state, so it's time to celebrate :D Drank some Lagunitas with my friend earlier, Correction Ale and Maximus, and then opened a HopDevil to check it out.. really floral smell/taste, pretty creamy mouthfeel for an IPA. Not my favorite but an easy session beer and worth checking out.

p1020505.jpg

I would weep with joy if I had a bottle of St. Lamvinus.

Today's selection: Russian River's strong dark Belgian Salvation aged in Cabernet barrels with currants and souring bugs: Consecration.

80y.jpg

Edit: This post is dedicated to Kiya, and the 20 Consecrations he ordered at Bender's at the SuFu party.

Today's selection: Russian River's strong dark Belgian Salvation aged in Cabernet barrels with currants and souring bugs: Consecration.

80y.jpg

Missed out when my local spot got this...I can only imagine how much I would enjoy this. Does the inclusion of currants translate to currant-notes in the final product?

I Think that they kind of meld with the taste of the Cabernet barrels. I took a sip just now to answer your question :)

I am going home to the Bay Area in a week. If you need a bottle of this I can almost certainly get you one (around $25+shipping), T. Same goes for Beatification.

That sounds like a lovely beer...I might have to take you up on your offer, although I am trying to empty my fridge out because I am moving in not too long, and I figure its better not to build to much of a cellar and then risk ruining/losing it in the move. Still though, every beer I have ever had from Russian River has been excellent, with quite a few being exceptional.

Talking about my move also reminded me of a question I have...I know that normal refrigerator temperature isn't generally ideal for beer, and I am contemplating moving into a place where I may not have/use a standard refrigerator...what would be the ideal beer storage situation?

Followed by:

suf.jpg

I am so impressed by this. This is a really balanced barleywine. The strong malt you would expect is, despite it being '08 vintage, very well complimented by a heady dose of hops. I am a fan, and for under $5, this is a great buy. The first Full Sail beer I have really enjoyed (their Slipknot DIPA made me completely flaccid).

B Dawg inspired me to open up the Russian River Supplication I have been keeping in my fridge...what an amazing introduction to the incredibly intriguing and apparently delicious world of wild ales...I am beyond impressed.

russian_river_supplication.jpg

finally made the trip to Alpine Brewery today. I must say, this is one of my new favorite breweries as most of the beers are unknown and its always a delicacy to see them on tap within San Diego city limits. with the best being exponential hoppiness, for those who are in California, definitely look for this brewery. The Duet, Bad Boy, and Pure Hoppiness are available on bottles (or atleast so i think) but exponential is only available on tap and is usually tapped quick once available.

My beer trip last week, all in 48 hours, in the order which i hit them up:

Russian River Brewery

Third Street Ale Works

Bear Republic

Sonoma Springs Brewery

Mondo

Russian River

Also, on Wednesday night went to Cyrus.

If you don't know, you need to know, it's quite possibly the best restaurant in America, and very commonly compared to French Laundry, i personally think it's better.

Sorry for the camera phone pics..

Russian River

05202009003.jpg

05202009004.jpg

Random Weirdo in downtown Healdsburg:

05212009010.jpg

Third Street Aleworks:

05212009012.jpg

05212009011.jpg

Back to Russian River:

05212009013.jpg

Russian River

05202009003.jpg

I am so jealous of this. I can't imagine how tasty and interesting this was.

Random Weirdo in downtown Healdsburg:

05212009010.jpg

I love Healdsburg...you should crosspost in the Mister Freedom thread announcing them as prototypes for the s/s 2010 line

Epic nightcap

pivk.jpg

I already have mine out, dropping temp a little bit before my first pour...great minds....

As an aside, anyone have recommendations for IPAs and DIPAs that are interesting and/or different enough to be worth trying when Pliny is readily available. I enjoy Dogfish Head 90 Minute from time to time, and have been recommended Racer 5 from people I trust...I have been underwhelmed by Stone's offerings in the genre, though maybe I have missed out on some gems in their line....recommendations will be appreciated, purchased, and consumed. Upon consumption, hearty thanks or angry reprimands will be hastily issued.

Do yourself a favor and find Hop Stoopid, and more importantly 2009 Correction Ale from Lagunitas. Perhaps try Deschutes' Red Chair IPA. All hops, very little malt presence in these. Kinda weird taste in the Red Chair. I have heard good and decent about it, and my opinion falls somewhere in between.

For some reason, the places around my house stock everything from Lagunitas BUT Hop Stoopid. I will find it one day.

As far as IPA/DIPA rec's, I've said it before but I love some Oak Aged Unearthly from Southern Tier.

I also drank my 3 Floyds Dreadnaught last night. I would recommend it, but apparently it's almost impossible to find outside of Illinois or Indiana (which is why I think so many people go so apeshit over it, because it's so scarce). I mean, it's a great beer, but I think it may be overhyped.

Port's Hop 15 isn't bad either.

About Pliny the Elder (or Younger)...how much would a bottle run? I would like to try it to some but I can't get it. I was thinking about having some shipped either by a trade on here if anybody's interested in stuff I can get or from South Bay Drugs, but I know they will charge large shipping rates (I think at least $8 to $10, if they'll even ship Pliny) But I don't even know what it or any other Russian River stuff runs. What's the usual charge for a bottle? thanks.

$4 to $4.50 in the Bay Area. Probably obscenely more elsewhere. I am going home to The Bay on the 29th. If anyone wants something from Russian River (I can get their normal releases and most likely Consecration and Batch 3 Beatification, which I highly recommend) let me know. I will just charge the cost of the beer and shipping price, or we can trade if you can get something particularly special.

I might be highly interested in a trade (if I can find out how to pack and ship it without breakage). Thanks for the price tip, that didn't seem as bad as I thought it'd be for how good it seems to be.

Also, I owe you rep B-Dawg, it won't let me.

Also, if you think you would be interested in a trade, go to Binny's website and look around for anything that looks interesting as far as American Craft Beer goes. Their sale ends in one week. I picked up a 6 pack of Bell's Expedition Stout for $14, usually they run like $18 or $19. Pretty much every 6 pack, and bomber are like $2 off. But I can also go to West Lakeview Liquors which is rated as one of the best shops in the country. They're just a couple miles from my house. They've got Cantillon St. Lamvinus.

Do yourself a favor and find Hop Stoopid, and more importantly 2009 Correction Ale from Lagunitas. Perhaps try Deschutes' Red Chair IPA. All hops, very little malt presence in these. Kinda weird taste in the Red Chair. I have heard good and decent about it, and my opinion falls somewhere in between.

I second 2009 Correction Ale, but as far as Hop Stoopid goes, I was really disappointed by this beer as far as its reputation goes... was definitely expecting more. My favorite DIPA lately (as I and twistedtrees have said a few times) is Southern Tier Oak Aged Unearthly. That thing is insanely good.

rogues-gallery-for-squall-ipa-ale-beer.jpg

Dog Fish Head x Rogue's Gallery

elite collabo

“Developed hand in hand with Sam Calagione and the master brewers at Dogfish Head Brewery in Milton, Delaware. The collaboration brings together the hard-worn New England port town perspective of Rogues Gallery and the artisinal brew-mastery of Dogfish Head.â€