state your beer, drinkers

We have much to discuss...

Nice lineup. I actually submitted a request to the beer guy at my spot to get Ten Fidy, since I saw they had their other beers.

I can't help but tell you guys stuff about working at the brewery. Today I packed samples/press releases to be sent to the beer media, including the Alstrom Bros of Beer Advocate fame. To make me feel better about the terrible grunt work my manager kicked me down four '07 and three '08 vintages of their barleywine, and some '08 extra stout. Stoked. I also bought (for $20 off) a case of their winter seasonal black IPA type beer. I love this job.

The job sounds awesome man, sounds like you have a good boss, haha. Have you tried the black IPA yet? I'm curious to hear what that's like.

From what it's creator told me, it didn't really fit into a category, but judging by the 74 ibu's and strong hop presence, I don't feel bad including the IPA part in there. It is creamy yet light on the palate, notes of coffee and hazelnut come through for me. There are hops in the nose and definitely a bitterness from the dark malt and hops. Maybe some caramelized citrus? Some spruce needleness?

If you guys want I can pick up another case and send 4 packs to people. It is normally $51 for a case (24 12oz bottles), or $9 for a 4 pack in stores, but I get cases @ $35. I could throw in an imperial red in one of the 4 spaces if you like as well.

Yo, B-D, my joint got in some bottles of Red Chair this week. I forgot how nice and mellow that IPA is. Anything named after a ski lift at Mt. Bachelor is good by me anyways.

Was also drinking Ballast Point's Tongue Buckler Imperial Red last night. Very good. Usually high ABV IPAs give me a bit of a headache in the morning, and I was fine with this stuff.

There's a local beer store in town that I haven't been to in a few years, stopped by today and stumbled upon some Cantillon Rosé de Gambrinus. I picked up a couple bottles, will post pictures once I drink it. Was also told I can speak to the owner about ordering all of the other flavors.. I plan on having them order the Kriek for sure, any other recommendations??

You bastard :P

The Rose is the best beer I have ever had on tap. Cherish it! Ask about St. Lamvinus, and the Lou Pepe beers (that is Cantillon's Oude Gueuze, and they do a framboise, kriek, and straight gueuze with it).

Edit: If you get those beers I mentioned, kick some down my way ;)

You bastard :P

The Rose is the best beer I have ever had on tap. Cherish it! Ask about St. Lamvinus, and the Lou Pepe beers (that is Cantillon's Oude Gueuze, and they do a framboise, kriek, and straight gueuze with it).

Edit: If you get those beers I mentioned, kick some down my way ;)

B-Dawg, I'll go buy some more bottles of the Rose if its that good :) Most people around here have no idea what a lambic even is so the store never sells any of their stock of it. Next time I go out to SF I'll bring some with me. Just curious, how much does a 750ml bottle sell for in most places?

cantillonrosedegambrinu.jpg

First Cantillon, a good experience :D This was a lot smoother and not nearly as acidic as the Hanssens Oude Kriek I had last week. Probably the tartest thing I've ever tasted, not as sour as some things I've had, but definitely the most tart. The taste was somewhat sour with rapsberry undertones but the fruit didn't come out extremely strong; there was also the vinegar taste that I picked up in the Gueuze Fond Tradition. The smell varied with each pour, which I found somewhat odd. Overall, I really enjoyed it. It's extremely balanced and well rounded... I need to drink more of these to develop a better palate for them though.

Edit: B-Dawg, are Cherish lambics worth buying?

You guys are making me jealous, I have been too busy to have anything resembling a session, and am lucky if I get a chance to drink A beer every third night or so. Tonight's moderately interesting treat, that really pales in comparison to what you guys are doing:

477.jpg

Also, should mention that I had the opportunity to have some Damnation Batch 23 a weekend before last and it was fantastic.

Contacted the distributor for the Nashville area and found out that no other types of Cantillon are distributed here :( I did however go and clear the store's shelf of Cantillon Rosé de Gambrinus :D Also picked up Cherish Kriek and Framboise... not sure if they'll be good or not but I'll post reviews/pics later.

Drank Allagash Curieux 2009 last night, love that beer. Sorry, no pictures. Great great beer though, super smooth tripel with not a lot of spice (but its still there) and a hint of bourbon from the barrel aging, and even some hop presence for an extra kick. Alcohol presence is really low for 11% until it warms up some, but even then its not bad. I definitely recommend this one to everybody.

As for tonight.. Left Hand Imperial Stout. Head dissipated quickly (didn't last long enough to snap the picture), and the beer was dark but not like motor oil like so many RIS are. Smell is mostly vanilla, oats, and alcohol. Taste is chocolate and malt, with alcohol becoming more present the more it warms up... burnt chocolate/coffee aftertaste. Good beer to try, better stouts to keep a stock of though.

p1020453y.jpg

Oh, and forgot to put these up the other day... All the bottles of Cantillon I got are 2007 vintage :)

p1020447s.jpg

p1020446d.jpg

The beers my boss kicked down to me last week:

2007 John Barleycorn barleywine

IMG_3202.jpg

I love me a BW with some age on it

IMG_3210.jpg

IMG_3205.jpg

IMG_3207.jpg

Their Scotch Porter, uses German Rauch malt for some smokiness

IMG_3206.jpg

Ahhh man this looks so good. The only barleywines I have aging are less than a year old, last time I had one with any decent age to it was in NYC a few months back, got some J.W. Lees Vintage from 05 and 07.

You guys are making me jealous, I have been too busy to have anything resembling a session, and am lucky if I get a chance to drink A beer every third night or so. Tonight's moderately interesting treat, that really pales in comparison to what you guys are doing:

477.jpg

Also, should mention that I had the opportunity to have some Damnation Batch 23 a weekend before last and it was fantastic.

Stone has another collabo this time a black pilsner with brew dog and another brewery..

A good friend of mine just graduated from a world renowned culinary school in Ireland... came over and cooked for us tonight :) Grilled duck, mashed potatos, and spiced lentils was the meal... while it was being cooked, I introduced him to lambics with a Cantillon and a couple of good cheeses (Port Salut and something else... can't remember). After the meal my other beer nerd friend came over with Avery Hog Heaven, Avery Mephistopholes, an aged Rochefort 8, and Bells Kalamazoo Stout. I added the new Terrapin Monk's Revenge to the mix. It's a one time brew, Belgian yeast with high IBU's so you get the Trappist and DIPA tastes at the same time. No pictures, sorry, didn't have a camera on hand, but I'll assure you it was a good time :D

Had a South Tier "Unearthly" IPA tonight and really enjoyed it. The alcohol was masked well, as I didn't realize it was 11% ABV til I checked the bottle after finishing.

I tried this when my superswap buddy sent me it. definitely one of my favorite IPAs I've had. must acquire more.

Man, I've been absent here for a minute, but have plenty of pictures to post in the next day or two...especially since I got to got to Three Floyds brewery for their tour today as a belated birthday present. Got some beer, great steak, some other swag too. Pics to come soon.

ps-I can't give the Oak Aged Unearthly enough praise, good stuff.

I tried this when my superswap buddy sent me it. definitely one of my favorite IPAs I've had. must acquire more.

If you feel like taking a drive, State Line Liquors in Elkton MD, about 1 hour 15 min away from where you live definitely have it. But if you call Capone's in Norristown or Beer Yard on the Main Line they should still have it

Graduated with degrees in music and zoology on Saturday, so my gf gave me a bottle of Cantillon Iris (a hoppy lambic style beer that uses no wheat, '06 vintage), with locally made aged/cultured/truffled goat cheese, local bread, and some dome :P

IMG_2071.jpg

Okay, from the past week+

Redhook session beer. Not bad pretty high ABV for session (5.8% I think) but relatively cheap

3544328792_143c6f91bd.jpg

then I had a craving for some chocolate stout

3543523153_657a858d93.jpg

some extra pale ale from what's becoming my new favorite brand

3543527809_5bc0d1fa51.jpg

then a new session beer from late last week. Tyranena's Scurvy IPA. Very bitter with orange peel and citrus aftertaste. Not bad. Thank you Wisconsin.

3544342020_eb74ce688d.jpg

and some Founders Dirty Bastard. A medium to heavy Scottish drink that's very sweet and malty, fairly strong

3544347222_a823c358a4.jpg

up next, my trip to 3 Floyds and the haul...

ps-just so I don't seem like such a lush, I would like to point out that last Friday was the end of my spring semester and also my birthday. So needless to say I was celebrating.