state your beer, drinkers

i'm loving the belgian-style bottle-conditioned beers. one of these days, i will make it out to belgium and have that westvleteren. mmm.

I have a few bottles of Westvleteren (two 12s and one 8) on their way to me from a friend in Belgium. I'll post up in here again after I've tried them, been looking forward to it for years.

I have a few bottles of Westvleteren (two 12s and one 8) on their way to me from a friend in Belgium. I'll post up in here again after I've tried them, been looking forward to it for years.

nice. that's a good friend!

they make a quadruple which is supposed to be out of this world. one of these days, i will take a week long tour of belgium.

i'm kicking myself that i was in belgium for 1 year and never tried this beer. it wasn't available (as far as i recall) at any of the bars i used to go to in Ghent.

they make a quadruple which is supposed to be out of this world. one of these days, i will take a week long tour of belgium.

jesus christ, a quadruple? never even knew they existed. what's the alcohol on that, like 15%?

speaking of belgian beer tours, i thought you guys might be interested in pics of a visit i made to the Brasserie à Vapeur in Pipaix, Belgium in early 2006. It's in the southern/French/Waloon part of Belgium in the middle of nowhere. they brew periodically and once a month they have a big beer-themed dinner where all the food has beer in it and you can drink their beer (they have 4 kinds, i believe). it was a unique, memorable trip that i recommend to everyone who goes to belgium.

i made the reservation over email and put money in the brewery's bank account to guarantee my reservation as the guy directed. we arrived by train (lots of annoying connections) and the brewery had sent someone to pick us up at the station, which is too far from the brewery to walk. when we arrived, we went into the brewing room, which smelled like yeast, not surprisingly.

307nbbl.jpg

then the lunch, which was an amazing, amazing meal. they gave us these kegs of the beer. we started with a tasting before lunch and they brought out the 4 beers in sequence, which are all very distinct (i only really liked one, but i can't remember which it is). then with lunch we had several kegs of the same beer, i don't remember which.

2vccmqe.jpg

cheeses from all over Belgium, all with beer in them, and a basket of beer bread to the side

vyukb6.jpg

this dude made a comic book of the brewery's history. he was on hand at the lunch and autographed the book for us.

15afdz.jpg

the dining room

qx6ng8.jpg

it's really weird, prior to the whole "best beer in the world" hype you could actually get westvleteren at a mediocre bistro on upper broadway near columbia in nyc. the importers made up labels and everything.

anyway i drank the 8 and 12 a while back in antwerp, really solid stuff but i wouldn't get bent out of shape tracking it down. from my recollection the blonde was the most popular with the locals resulting in my inability to track it down. i do have a nice souvenir glass though.

i really miss being able to get quality lambics for pennies at the supermarket, unlike this oversweetened lindeman's garbage that gets imported to the us. dba has some decent ones but is crazy expensive.

jesus christ, a quadruple? never even knew they existed. what's the alcohol on that, like 15%?

Mizanation: the Westvleteran 12 is actually the quadrupel that you're talking about -- its 10.2% alcohol.

Mojinho: On the topic of high alcohol beers, earlier in this thread I mentioned Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA. I've been enjoying this one for awhile, but I only just recently realized that its 21% (!!!) ABV. Intense ... and delicious.

speaking of belgian beer tours, i thought you guys might be interested in pics of a visit i made to the Brasserie à Vapeur in Pipaix, Belgium in early 2006.

This sounds great. I have plans to go back to Belgium some time for a beer tour and I'd definitely include this in my itinerary.

it's really weird, prior to the whole "best beer in the world" hype you could actually get westvleteren at a mediocre bistro on upper broadway near columbia in nyc. the importers made up labels and everything.

This is pretty wild, if true. Do you remember the name of the place, did it happen to be Le Monde?

Anyway, if I would walk into that place and see this bunch I would turn around and leave immediately.

If your friends drink shit beer you need to educate them. If they can't taste the difference find new friends.

I'm just saying that if you expect to go into a brewery to hang out with cool/young people, then it's not gonna happen unless it's the Heineken brewery in Amsterdam or something.

Mojinho: On the topic of high alcohol beers, earlier in this thread I mentioned Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA. I've been enjoying this one for awhile, but I only just recently realized that its 21% (!!!) ABV. Intense ... and delicious.

yeah, i have known about the 120 Minute IPA but i don't think i've ever tried it (i've been to Dogfish Head several times and often get random beers, or "flights" including many mini beers to sample, so i may have had it). i guess i just wasn't sure what the technical definition of a "quadruple" was. so i guess the Rochefort 12, at 11.3% ABV, would also be considered a quadruple? or just a triple?

I'm just saying that if you expect to go into a brewery to hang out with cool/young people, then it's not gonna happen unless it's the Heineken brewery in Amsterdam or something.

you're absolutely right. anyway we're talking an artisanal brewery, the last steam-operated brewery in the world, in a very rural area. in case you haven't been to Wallonia, it's not exactly a hotbed of hipness and innovation EXCEPT in the area of beer, which i think is what makes it so interesting.

plus, whatever, go with your friends or whatever, you don't have to talk to the bedraggled, long-haired man if you don't want to (although he might be able to teach you a thing or two about beer and/or acrobatic sex).

Although not expensive or rare or anything I just tried Mad River Brewing's Steelhead Extra Stout yesterday. It was fantastic. I was shocked. Sweet, creamy and it didn't have the over-the-top bitter bite at the end that a lot of Extra Stouts seem to.

When I was in Laos this winter (though it was 90 degrees over there) you could buy a liter of the national Beer (one of about 3 beers you could buy in the entire country) at any restaurant for approx. $0.75 - $1.00

You could get a gallon beer tower at your table for $3.00. A gallon of pretty good beer for half the price you would pay for a bottle of Bud Light at an LA bar.........

Man did it feel good to get loaded for $5.

Flaschen.jpg

Unibroue Maudite and Unibroue La Fin Du Monde, out of Quebec, are delicious. The Maudite is a strong beer, dark as hell and almost tastes like a bloody steak. La Fin is a Belgian blonde style and I think I'm gonna go get me one right now... Cheers!

edit: My bad, I see Chronoaug commented on these a while back...

the big, liter bottles are like R$8 = US$5. but that's in Rio, which is expensive. if you went somewhere else outside big cities it would be cheaper.

a single-serving draft at a bar in Rio = R$3 = US$1.75 (small by US standards)

half-liter can on the street from a vendor = R$3 = US$1.75

i really miss being able to get quality lambics for pennies at the supermarket, unlike this oversweetened lindeman's garbage that gets imported to the us. dba has some decent ones but is crazy expensive.

I wonder if the lindemans stuff you get over in the US is sweeter, Im not saying that Lindemans isnt sweet (its too sweet for me personally), but it wouldnt surpise me in the least if they sweetened it for the american market.

GUINNESS IS BAD FOR YOU.

Anybody into beer, especially Guinness, should see this even though it's corny.. This shit is true.

mG1M9A4Tyj0