state your beer, drinkers

i'm not like a super beer drinker. but if you can ever get within arm's reach of some authentic Presidente beer, snatch it!

if you ever visit Dominican Republic, go anwhere and they've got it.

so...

1. Presidente.

I had the middle one (the trippel) saturday night. It was ok. I dunno, i guess Chimay just isn't for me. Was there some kind of 3pack w/glass? Pretty cool.

I saw a couple people here any maybe a friend talk about the sierra nevada bigfoot ale so i tried it the other day. Really disliked it. Left a bad aftertaste in my mouth. I didn't finish it but just gave it to a friend who didn't care and just wanted alcohol.

so then the White just blows, i guess

It doesn't, but it is my least favorite of the 3. Here's my opinion of the 3 without taking the alc content into account:

Triple (Cream): Lightest body, most pronounced "fruit-like" finish, still fuck you up if you drink enough of them

Blue (My Favorite): Darkest, most heavy bodied. Least pronounced "fruit-like" finish. Won't take many to fuck you up.

Red: Sort of a happy medium between the two (although has the lowest alc content).

The differences between the 3 are pretty subtle. If you tried one and didn't like it, you won't like the other 2. Don't even try to split hairs with the alc content... they all pack a bigger punch than what you'll find at most pubs.

Blue is the strongest.

Chimay Red - 7%

Chimay White - 8%

Chimay Blue - 9%

I ain't fuckin' with it, it's too close to..American%20Flag%20vertical%20(artistic).gif

Cheap little liquor store has great prices for me. $8 4 pack of Old Rasputin. $12 4 pack of Three Philosophers and a $7 big bottle of Allagash White. I'm done with the GRE and my classes are on cruise control so i'm gonna drink a bunch this weekend. Cheers!

Petrus dubbel breun is weird. Tastes like coca cola mixed with beer. Not my thing, not as foul as all that, but I'm sad I have 3 bottles left.

Thomas Hardy ale is a mouthful. I don't think I like it, but it's a fascinating beer for sure. Got some of that high-alcohol sweetness, a wealth of flavors, an almost thickness, some spice, and just keeps changing as you sip it. Very interesting, get one bottle.

dude no shit, first week in belgium, wanted to order something "crazy" ffrom the menu i had never heard of and tried mazout, that shit was FOUL. here's a pic for posterity

1j6y2o.jpg

Haha, who put you up to that! For those of you that don't speak Belgian, Mazout literally means heating oil. I dont think I need to explain how foul it is.

i put myself up to that . . . i always order things without asking about them or knowing what they are, and there was no description on the menu, so voilà.

it does not, however, taste like heating oil, or how i imagine heating oil to taste like. i think it's for teenagers, though.

i put myself up to that . . . i always order things without asking about them or knowing what they are, and there was no description on the menu, so voilà.

it does not, however, taste like heating oil, or how i imagine heating oil to taste like. i think it's for teenagers, though.

Its mostly students that drink it, because its cheap, most kids in belgium just drink regular beer because the drinking laws are so relaxed and theyre used to drinking it at home with their folks. There really is no excuse for the existence of mazout.

dude no shit, first week in belgium, wanted to order something "crazy" ffrom the menu i had never heard of and tried mazout, that shit was FOUL. here's a pic for posterity

1j6y2o.jpg

I WANT THIS. I shall make one this weekend. Not because I like desecrating beer, but mostly because I like mixing random shit together. None of you ever had shandy as a kid?

One of the worst beer mixtures I've ever had is a Mexican michelada: beer with tomato juice, Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, and salt around the rim. Ugh. A less intense version of this (but no less disgusting) is sold in most convenience stores here in Socal.....clammy tomato juice:

ewgross1.jpg

I always thought I would hate micheladas but I went out with a hot mexican girl and she took me to a place where they made decent ones. It's not something I would drink often but sometimes it's an interesting drink. Never had it from a can.

England, next time you're in ny we have to grab a beer.

I always thought I would hate micheladas but I went out with a hot mexican girl and she took me to a place where they made decent ones. It's not something I would drink often but sometimes it's an interesting drink. Never had it from a can.

England, next time you're in ny we have to grab a beer.

I should be in NY in June; I'll definitely take you up on that offer.

The michelada I had was at a hole-in-the-wall place in Tulum, Mexico and was unbelievably salty and warm. I'll have to give it another shot somewhere else. Then again, it may have just tasted better for you because you were with a hot Mexican girl, right?

WHOA micheladas are next on my list of impossibly disgusting beer concoctions.

please let us know what you think of the mazout if you do try it. Clockwork killa, what kind of beer do they mix the Coca-cola with?

EDIT: forgot to post this. how much would we all cream our pants if we got to go to this? text below. anyone in DC? i'll be living there this time next year and wonder if this will be a regular thing. if so, i'm there.

Thinking Outside the Wine List

By Greg Kitsock

Wednesday, March 26, 2008; F05

You can't blame craft brewers for having a case of grape envy. How often in a high-end restaurant have you been handed a wine list that runs on for pages, while the list of available beers could easily fit on an index card? Yet many brewers say that as a companion to a fine meal, beer is the equal of wine, if not its superior.

"We believe that tying beer to food is the way to keep craft beer sales growing," says Julia Herz, craft beer program director for the Colorado-based Brewers Association, the small-brewers' trade group.

That's the rationale behind Savor: An American Craft Beer and Food Experience, a culinary festival sponsored by the association and slated for May 16 and 17 at the Andrew W. Mellon Auditorium downtown.

It won't be your father's beer blast, Herz guarantees.

Forget about those pretzel necklaces, for one thing. For the $85 admission price, attendees will be able to slurp a coriander-scented Belgian-style witbier alongside a carrot-ginger-curry soup; munch on turkey-and-shiitake Thai dumplings paired with a hoppy American pale ale; and taste a creme brulee with a roasty, chocolaty stout.

Altogether, the menu will feature more than 35 foods, prepared by Federal City Caterers in tapas-size portions, and 96 beers from 48 breweries dispensed in two-ounce pours. Herz says she hopes the small serving sizes will encourage experimentation. "You take two or three bites, you take two or three sips, and boom, you're done!" Then you're off to sample the beers of Free State Brewing in Lawrence, Kan., or Rock Art Brewery in Morrisville, Vt., or Four Peaks Brewing in Tempe, Ariz.

Also among the participants will be New Belgium Brewing from Fort Collins, Colo., whose Fat Tire Amber Ale, according to Brickskeller owner Dave Alexander, is the most-requested brand he can't get here. (Sorry, Fat Tire fans: New Belgium has chosen to serve its Abbey dubbel and Mothership Wit wheat beer at the event.) You'll also see some unfamiliar beers from familiar breweries, such as Dogfish Head Craft Brewery's Palo Santo Marron, a strong brown ale aged in tanks made from an exotic Paraguayan hardwood.

Dogfish founder Sam Calagione will square off against sommelier Marnie Old, director of wine studies at New York's French Culinary Institute, at one of several "educational salons" to accompany the slurping and noshing. The two co-wrote the just-published "He Said Beer, She Said Wine," a lighthearted debate on the culinary merits of those beverages. Other scheduled speakers include TV chef Dave Lieberman of Food Network and Lauren Buzzeo, assistant tasting director of Wine Enthusiast Magazine.

"The wine people are jumping on the bandwagon. That's what makes it so interesting," says Herz, who will deliver a talk on "Cross Drinking Without Social Stigma."

The timing of Savor isn't random. May 12-18 is American Craft Beer Week, an annual promotion of the Brewers Association. From May 12 to 15, the National Beer Wholesalers Association holds its annual legislative conference at the Hyatt Regency on Capitol Hill. Many of the nation's small specialty brewers will already be in town for that event.

(In between visiting their congressmen and pouring beer at Savor, those brewers will have a few free days. Keep your eyes open for special events such as the Sierra Nevada beer dinner that RFD Washington has scheduled for May 15.)

Be advised: Tickets for Savor will not be sold at the door. You can buy them online at http://www.SavorCraftBeer.org or at the Dogfish Alehouses in Gaithersburg and Falls Church. As of press time, tickets were available for all three sessions: one on Friday evening, May 16, and afternoon and evening sessions on Saturday.

You can begin preparing for Savor on April 7, which is the 75th anniversary of the end of Prohibition. Not of repeal, mind you: The 21st Amendment, which repealed the 18th, wasn't ratified until December 1933. Earlier that year, to boost the nation's morale, President Franklin D. Roosevelt and Congress rushed through a bill changing the definition of "intoxicating" in the Volstead Act to allow 3.2 beer. That bill took effect at 12:01 a.m. April 7, 1933.

Several regional breweries will host special events that day. Red Brick Station, a brew pub in the Baltimore suburb of White Marsh, will sell select beers at 33 cents a pint. Brewer's Alley in Frederick will serve a five-course beer dinner. Anheuser-Busch will trot out its famous Clydesdales for pregame festivities at Nationals Park (the Nats will take on the Florida Mariners); two days earlier, the horses will be on hand for a block party outside the Dubliner and Irish Times bars near Union Station.

For more events, check http://www.75yearsofbeer.com. And party like it's 1933.

One of the worst beer mixtures I've ever had is a Mexican michelada: beer with tomato juice, Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, and salt around the rim. Ugh. A less intense version of this (but no less disgusting) is sold in most convenience stores here in Socal.....clammy tomato juice:

this last summer when i was in mexico my goal was to finally try a michelada. i asked my cousin miguel what exactly was in a michelada, and he basically explained it as a 'seasoned beer' he said most bars make it diferently so its a beer with chili powder, salt and lemon, but some bars instead of salt use differnet types of food seasoning, like different types of bullion powder and what not. he told me i wouldnt enjoy it so he refused to take me to a bar that would do that, we had like mojitos and straight beer, i actually found a place that carried duvel which is alright

but i still feel unfulfilled.