state your beer, drinkers

Dog Fish Head does most things they do quite well, just be prepared for an intense beer drinking experience. They definitely don't do session beers...

60min is what they call their session beer and it kinda is at around 6%, but I think the Shelter Pale Ale is defintely a session beer. It's around 5%.

you should probably try it as the first thing you drink one evening, so you can taste it more. maybe it's not for you, though.

it's not really a belgian pale ale, though. i would consider Hoegaarden a typical belgian pale ale.

Hoegaarden is a witbier. A bad one at that.

Hoegaarden is a witbier. A bad one at that.

Come on, don't tell me you never enjoyed Hoegaarden at some bar during hot summer day? I must say it's not a beer I'll buy for myself at the store but I have it few times a year when drinking outside. Plus girls like it which makes it ok in my book. Also it's much better than Blue Moon which tastes like a case of soap fell into a keg of old Budweiser.

Alright, tasted a few new ones beginning of the month.

Judgement Day was nice, strong and sweet, fun, but definitely a slow sipper.

Brasserie Lebbe's L'amalthee, a mild farmhouse ale on lees was close to perfection. The flavors were all nice, it drank beautifully, and you could drink it all night. Unlike many of the nicer beers which are really distinct, this was almost "just a beer" but better in every way. Edit: Great story too, http://www.charlesnealselections.com/wine/southwest/brasserielebbe.html

There was one other new beer, but it's hazy.

Thanks Kiya!

Note: Sessioning 60 minute, censored, flying dog, and oaked arrogant bastard makes for . . . slow . . . mornings.

Come on, don't tell me you never enjoyed Hoegaarden at some bar during hot summer day? I must say it's not a beer I'll buy for myself at the store but I have it few times a year when drinking outside. Plus girls like it which makes it ok in my book. Also it's much better than Blue Moon which tastes like a case of soap fell into a keg of old Budweiser.

Just because it's better than Blue Moon does not make it a good beer. For cheap witbiers, I like Wittekerke (like $1/can), although it's hard to find.

Just because it's better than Blue Moon does not make it a good beer. For cheap witbiers, I like Wittekerke (like $1/can), although it's hard to find.

never heard of it. is it also belgian? or american with a belgian name?

i disagree that Hoegaarden is bad. polishmike is right, it's a nice, light beer for drinking outside in warm weather.

Went out last night to a bar that had a good selection of belgian beers with Monday special 2 for 1. They had Delirium Tremens on tap and all usual suspects in bottles. Not bad when the bottle of La Chouffe was only $9. If any of you are still here on Monday we can hit it up.

When we going to have a Superfuture Beer Meet?

Where members come in from outta town?

This summer?

Trumer, new beer brought to you by Dr Evil

tt1largeec7.jpg

i'm petrified of trying this beer. dude needs a fucking image consultant

This summer?

that would be fun wish i could join you guys. take pics!

Hunting a beer, seeking recommendations.

Want a moderately flavorful ale, not an IPA or anything else really hoppy. Something light in alcohol (5-6%) that can be pleasantly sessioned, and hopefully less than $3/12oz bottle. Sour is good, yeasty is good. Bland is bad, sweet is bad. Any suggestions?

Hunting a beer, seeking recommendations.

Want a moderately flavorful ale, not an IPA or anything else really hoppy. Something light in alcohol (5-6%) that can be pleasantly sessioned, and hopefully less than $3/12oz bottle. Sour is good, yeasty is good. Bland is bad, sweet is bad. Any suggestions?

One of my favorite session beers of all time that fits the bill for what you're asking for is El Toro's Poppy Jasper. Amazing balance, subtle notes, great price, and a managable ABV%.

Poppy Jasper on BA: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/640/1736

Their official site: http://www.eltorobrewing.com/beer.html

This summer?

Expensive beer, food and jeans sounds like a grand idea. I might be able to travel this summer if relatives pony up the graduation money. Can't wait to get back to gainesville to try some more of the stuff you guys have been talking about. My favorite local store will order a small amount of whatever you ask them.

Burton Baton from Dogfish head is a joyous beer to drink. slightly more expensive than Oaked Arrogant Bastard, and much nicer. little less of the aggressive bitterness, bit more of a sweet, round, but still quite bitter beer. Sucks it's $18/4pack, but it's very nice. Decidedly not session beer at 10% though.

Tonight's beer.. Wrasslers XXXX Stout

wrasslers_175.jpg

My review from Beer Advocate and shit...

---------------------------------

Got this from my beer club, and found out it's near impossible to find in America up till very recently.. My club got this from the overstock of Michael Jackson's beer club warehouse.

Took me a solid ten minutes to get this thing open, the cork would not budge. I resorted to using a vise grip to get it open, and even then it was difficult. Not a good start...

Pours a heavy dark brown with a nice thick mahogany head that leaves strong lacing all around. Smells of roasted barley, cocoa, and fresh espresso...

A great chocolate front end with a obvious nod to heavily roasted barley and a strong overall bitter mesquite flavor. Great notes that finish with an almost spicy malt flavor that lingers.

What's surprising is how refreshing this is, and how well this could work as a session beer if one felt like working through a few glasses of something this intensely smokey.

The mouthfeel here is great with a soft rolling of flavors and a perfect level of spark from the carbonation.

A solid brew all around, if i could find another bottle of this i'll definitely be down for another trip through the murk.

Serving type: bottle

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/2243/3042

I liked trumer pils. Latest german beer I've tried is Hacker-pschorr weisse.

Informative review on the Wrasslers Stout Kiya. If you like stouts, and I know you've mentioned Stone Brewing company before (a local beer from here in north county san diego), have you tried Stone's Imperial russian stout? Its a seasonal beer that is being released next week. I have yet to try it but will be picking up a few bottles to taste.

I liked trumer pils. Latest german beer I've tried is Hacker-pschorr weisse.

Informative review on the Wrasslers Stout Kiya. If you like stouts, and I know you've mentioned Stone Brewing company before (a local beer from here in north county san diego), have you tried Stone's Imperial russian stout? Its a seasonal beer that is being released next week. I have yet to try it but will be picking up a few bottles to taste.

Yeah, i last had Stone's Imperial Russian Stout in the first quarter of 2007, quite good.. I've got a case of their IRS from 2004 aging in my cellar.

Gonna get mad slurry when i take that case out someday.

Yeah, i last had Stone's Imperial Russian Stout in the first quarter of 2007, quite good.. I've got a case of their IRS from 2004 aging in my cellar.

Gonna get mad slurry when i take that case out someday.

Oh, from 2004? sounds like you've been collecting beer for a while. Are you keeping up with Stone's verticle epic series? I guess the last in that series will be release 12.12.12.

Oh, from 2004? sounds like you've been collecting beer for a while. Are you keeping up with Stone's verticle epic series? I guess the last in that series will be release 12.12.12.

Yup...

Their Vertical Epic Ales are a favorite of mine.. I've only got one bottle of 010101, and three bottles of 020202, but an entire case of every other year after...

The first year or two go for hundreds of dollars now, the first one was near impossible to find outside of the region it was produced in..

should i feel guilty that within 3 months i'm going to be living within "weekday-driving-distance" of one of the dogfish head restaurants, which i've already eaten at and by the way it 's delish?

not at all.... I'd go there every day and get hammered off of world wide...