state your beer, drinkers

it's really weird, prior to the whole "best beer in the world" hype you could actually get westvleteren at a mediocre bistro on upper broadway near columbia in nyc. the importers made up labels and everything.

they changed the policy so that the monastery only allows one case per license plate, making the beer very rare.

you can still get locally-produced lambics for pretty cheap. i have been pretty satisfied with ommegang. also, brooklyn brewery is getting into it as well.

I saw that Brooklyn is making a Brooklynator Doppelbock now but I still haven't seen it anywhere and i'ts not really worth a trip to Brooklyn.

I had 3 beers from Ommegang: Three Philosophers which was good but nothing special, Ommegang was just ok and I wont buy it again and Witte was total shit so please don't ever buy it.

I wonder if the lindemans stuff you get over in the US is sweeter, Im not saying that Lindemans isnt sweet (its too sweet for me personally), but it wouldnt surpise me in the least if they sweetened it for the american market.

it is extra sweeter, i'm not a big fan of lindeman's in the first place but it's nasty.

they changed the policy so that the monastery only allows one case per license plate' date=' making the beer very rare.[/quote']

i'm aware of the anti-resell practices they started enforcing, it's just funny to think such an uncool place (le monde) had what is now considered to be unattainable nectar of the gods.

btw i always preferred leffe brune to blonde, definitely worth checking out if you happen upon it.

I saw that Brooklyn is making a Brooklynator Doppelbock now but I still haven't seen it anywhere and i'ts not really worth a trip to Brooklyn.

I had 3 beers from Ommegang: Three Philosophers which was good but nothing special, Ommegang was just ok and I wont buy it again and Witte was total shit so please don't ever buy it.

Agreed on the Ommegang & Witte. I don't like the 3 Philos either...it was gross.

I didn't like 3 philos as much the 2nd and 3rd time as i did the first, but i still enjoy it enough. Their Abbey Ale was actually pretty solid.

I helped a friend move on Sat and she dropped of a bottle of Duchesse De Bourgogne, Kasteel Donker and six Leffe Blondes today.

I never had the Duchesse De Bourgogne but read some good reviews, looking forward to it.

It's fantastic. Just beautiful. Quite sour, bit unexpected. Quite a treat, readily available, sessionable (for a price) and all around awesome.

GUINNESS IS BAD FOR YOU.

Anybody into beer, especially Guinness, should see this even though it's corny.. This shit is true.

mG1M9A4Tyj0

And some heavy commentary for anybody really into it..

http://beeradvocate.com/forum/read/1331007

Thanks for the link. Put in a comment myself.

Speaking of which:

"I'm married to an Irishwoman and have spent a fair part of my life in Ireland.

This guy is trying way too hard. Hundreds of important, respected companies have histories immersed violence, human rights violations, etc. Edsel Ford allegedly had close ties to Nazi Germany, Nike used child labor, WalMart destroys small-town commerce, Caterpillar knowingly sold the Israeli military dozens of pieces of equipment used to demolish Palestinian homes. This isn't news, nor is it something to insult or boycott Guinness for.

Regardless of implications and turbulent history, Guinness is still very much a brand associated with Ireland. It is undisputedly the beer of choice for everyone in the country over 18 (it seems everyone under would unfortunately rather have Miller Lite, Corona, or some other crap these days - if their not drinking cider or WKD). They are proud of their beer and thousands of Irishmen and women who worked for the brand would attest to that. Hell, my wife's grandfather used to deliver kegs of it around Dublin with horse and cart. Has nothing but admiration for the company.

Doesn't mean that an Irish company had to fund the damn uprising for it to be considered 'Irish'"

I tried Grand Cru Rodenbach the other day. Disgusting. I didn't finish it. I have liked the flemish ales that i've had before and i really couldn't drink it.

Okay, so when are we having a sufu beer snob meetup in NYC? I'll throw some possible spots out there to get the ball rolling:

Burp Castle (41 E 7th St.)

The Belgian Room (125 St. Marks Pl.)

The Ginger Man (11 E 36th St.)

Vol de Nuit (148 W 4th St.)

other suggestions?

I tried Grand Cru Rodenbach the other day. Disgusting. I didn't finish it. I have liked the flemish ales that i've had before and i really couldn't drink it.

One of my favorite beers. Dropped off one of the more basic Rodenbach's with Kiya a bit ago, curious to see what he thinks.

Also, going to live in SF from early June to late August. Finally time to frequent Toronado, Trappist, Monk's Kettle, etc.

I have few favorite places but I rather not spill the beans. There is a risk of 50 asian hypebeasts writing them down.

I think myself and readytoignite (and you) are the only ones from ny in this thread. I'm cool with VdN or Burp Castle, not so much the other two.

I know a place that on Mondays has half of all beer and they have Delirium on tap and few good bottles.

Okay, so when are we having a sufu beer snob meetup in NYC? I'll throw some possible spots out there to get the ball rolling:

Burp Castle (41 E 7th St.)

The Belgian Room (125 St. Marks Pl.)

The Ginger Man (11 E 36th St.)

Vol de Nuit (148 W 4th St.)

other suggestions?

The Diamond or Diamonds (can't remember) in Green Point is worth checking out.

I have few favorite places but I rather not spill the beans. There is a risk of 50 asian hypebeasts writing them down.

I think myself and readytoignite (and you) are the only ones from ny in this thread. I'm cool with VdN or Burp Castle, not so much the other two.

I'd lean toward Burp Castle then. VdN can get pretty overrun with an annoying crowd.

I know a place that on Mondays has half of all beer and they have Delirium on tap and few good bottles.

Mmm yes, was considering hitting the W Broadway location today after work in fact.

i'm up for this; i'll probably owe you $20 by this weekend anyway, fucking david fucking smeagol moyes and his useless squad.

is dba out because it gets crowded and often serves their beer too cold and in the wrong glass? on the plus side they have an outdoors patio

this made me lol.

i know of your monday belgian place. send me a pm if you are heading over there.

i'm up for this; i'll probably owe you $20 by this weekend anyway, fucking david fucking smeagol moyes and his useless squad.

is dba out because it gets crowded and often serves their beer too cold and in the wrong glass? on the plus side they have an outdoors patio

DBA's location is so fucking prime, as is the outdoors space. the crowds really are lethal though.

off topic: have any NY'ers here fucked w/ the brooklyn brewery "tour"? it's quite money; you purchase tokens for beer, a la tickets at a carnival. season stuff is on tap, including their regular brews. with large tables aplenty, you can chill for a few hours w/ some friends, have pizzas delivered, drink relatively cheap, relatively decent beer all day long. it's smack in the middle of williamsburg, so you can probably strike up a convo w/ locals about fixed gears.

is umm, "Pee Ayy" really that much of a secret?

I think the monday half off deal is still unknown. I wouldn't really bother to go there on other nights but it's my usual spot on mondays.

same spot, there's a few in the city.

you're right. i didn't know that.

my best friend lives on 19th & 2nd so we usually hit it up. maybe cause of the location it's not that crowded.

I think the monday half off deal is still unknown. I wouldn't really bother to go there on other nights but it's my usual spot on mondays.

you're right. i didn't know that.

my best friend lives on 19th & 2nd so we usually hit it up. maybe cause of the location it's not that crowded.

i used to live on 1st and 18th. it's really a dead mans zone over there unless you go below 14th or towards union square. despite that, i never found the gramercy location to be crowded except for brunch time on nice days.

Do people seriously like this? It tasted like really bad grape juice.

i KNOW. i tried to talk shit about it earlier in the thread (if SuFu wasn't in and out every 2 seconds i'd go back and find it) and no one agreed. apparently some people really enjoy it. maybe it's one of those fabled "acquired tastes."