state your beer, drinkers

the fuck is a "growler"?

wiki:

Growler

A "growler" is a half gallon (64 US fl. oz.) (1.89 Litres) glass jug used to transport draft beer in America. They are commonly sold at breweries and brewpubs as a means to sell take-out beer. Some breweries also offer a one-litre version. Growlers are also used by homebrewers as an alternative to using kegs or smaller bottles for carbonating and storing their beer.

Growlers generally are made of glass and have a steel or plastic screw-on cap or a hinged porcelain gasket cap which can provide freshness for a week or more. A Growler will not hold carbonation indefinitely, and since it is not a sanitized form of packaging, it is not an appropriate means of long term beer storage.

I got a growler filled straight from the tap at the stone brewery store on saturday the 24th with stone 10th anniversary ipa (august 2006 release). Very good ipa! The brewery is doing late night saturday growler fills with old special releases from the archives every saturday from 8 to 10 pm while plaing theme music for the night. Last saturday was 90s music.

Next week is rockabilly while pouring 2005 old gaurdian barley wine on tap. Should be a good excuse for me to wear some selvage jeans while getting hooked up with good beer on saturday night!

damn, i only knew of the movie nights and they usually bring out some older stuff, a few weeks ago they brought out some imperial russian from 06. might have to make it there this weekend. cheers!

youngpunch: you have to make it to pizza port. good pizza + good beer+ close to beach

come down for a few rounds kiya. haha

I've stuck mostly to the run-of-the-mill brands until recently when I started working for a distributer for brands like Anchor, Rogue, Lagunitas, and Full Sail Brewing Company.

Anyways, after I broadened my horizons a little, here is my list

1. Becks, I love it, most people just think its okay, but I think it is refreshing, crisp, and OG German beer. Its amazing

The rest are in no particular order...

Anchor Steam, Sessions, Michelob, Tona is okay... Rogue is whatever..

Then theres good old Budweiser.

I've stuck mostly to the run-of-the-mill brands until recently when I started working for a distributer for brands like Anchor, Rogue, Lagunitas, and Full Sail Brewing Company.

Anyways, after I broadened my horizons a little, here is my list

1. Becks, I love it, most people just think its okay, but I think it is refreshing, crisp, and OG German beer. Its amazing

The rest are in no particular order...

Anchor Steam, Sessions, Michelob, Tona is okay... Rogue is whatever..

Then theres good old Budweiser.

i also love Becks. all the different brews they make are great. i find them extremely flavorful (though not complex).

I had that wesmalle tripel thursday night. Very enjoyable.

Hahaha @ the rogue beer. I haven't had that one yet but i want to give it a try now. I like most of rogue's beers and i enjoy hefs so this should work out well.

beer.jpg

Last weekend's haul: Liberty Ale is a firm favourite, still very tasty when ice cold. Coopers Pale Ale is very nice if a touch insipid, theur red lable Sparkling Ale is nicer but the offy had run out. Augustiner is new to me (drink a lot of Erdinger, but also fairly regularly have Paulaner, Franziskaner, Schneider Weisse, Etalon and Weihenstaphaner), but is my new favourite wheat beer (thinking about it, i might prefer Weihenstapahner Kristall Klar, please excuse dodgy spelling), sort of bready/biscuity with no citrussy-ness, very nice. Konig Ludwig was new as well, and good, but not quite as good as the Augustiner. And a decent cider as well.

beer2-1.jpg

This weekend. Drank these before taking a photo, but you can see lurking in my recycling bin a Schneider Weisse, nothing knew or special but pretty nice nonetheless (I always think SW should be classed as a Dunkel, I don't know that much about beer, but it's as dark as some of the other Dunkels I've had - anyone have any idea?). I also had for the first time this weekend a La Chouffe - I honestly tend to steer clear of Belgian, due to several horrific Leffe hangovers and because I find it all a bit too sweet, but I'd read good things about La Chouffe, and though I didn't really fancy beer with coriander in it I gave it a go - it's OK. Nothing more. A bit Hazy, quite light and zingy, and a bit too sweet, to be honest I could take it or leave it. The one negative is the ABV, at 8% it's pretty strong, and as my girlfriend decided she didn't like it, drinking the whole 75cl was a bit of an undertaking.

For anyone that lives in or around Birmingham UK, I get all my beers from Stirchley Wines and Spirits: http://www.stirchleywines.co.uk/home.html - they do a big range of German/Belgian (Chimay and Westmalle etc)/British and other international beers (Hite! from Korea is disgusting), and also do some of the more obsucure vodkas and gins - I'm lucky to live walking distance away.

hite is pretty much your run of the mill east asian lager, not sure why it'd be worthy of your contempt unless you were expecting a trappist ale or something (and try washing down bibimbop with one of those)

Fair point, guess I only mentioned because it's on the international beer shelves. Don't you reckon it tastes like watered down Bud though? I don't think I checked but I guess it's got rice in, like the American Bud, which gives lager a sort of soft, sweet pissy taste. Don't get me wrong, I drink some shit lagers, got drunk on Fosters, Carlsberg and XXXX for the England match last night. Haven't got a clue what bibimbop is/are.

must buy. more st. bernardus wit.

Fair point, guess I only mentioned because it's on the international beer shelves. Don't you reckon it tastes like watered down Bud though? I don't think I checked but I guess it's got rice in, like the American Bud, which gives lager a sort of soft, sweet pissy taste. Don't get me wrong, I drink some shit lagers, got drunk on Fosters, Carlsberg and XXXX for the England match last night. Haven't got a clue what bibimbop is/are.

i think the taste is intentionally neutral so it goes better with korean food (of which bibimbop is an example). koreans don't drink beer the same way you do in england, social drinking is much more centered around hard liquor. basically i agree there's no point in drinking korean beer outside of the context of a korean restaurant

Right, so I figure I owe a report since I talked Kiya out of coming to Popeye's.

Four of us tried three different Japanese microbrews each. Their everything but barleywine was crap, with IPAs standing out as about the worst.

We tried two barleywines. Both were nice, though completely dissimilar. First was the Hakusekikan Crystal Ale. If someone added carbonation and a hint of hops to a decent but not stunning sauternes, they'd have Crystal Ale. Quite pleasant.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/3704/10516

Ozeno Yukidoke Heavy Heavy was sweet, smooth, nearly uncarbonated. http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/11338/30699

reviews were right in character, though I'd rate much higher.

Popeye's itself has a great selection of homegrown Japanese beer, but the generic dark wood English/American sports bar/pub atmosphere, English menus and majority American/British customers is a huge turnoff.

Last weekend's haul: Liberty Ale is a firm favourite, still very tasty when ice cold. Coopers Pale Ale is very nice if a touch insipid, theur red lable Sparkling Ale is nicer but the offy had run out. Augustiner is new to me (drink a lot of Erdinger, but also fairly regularly have Paulaner, Franziskaner, Schneider Weisse, Etalon and Weihenstaphaner), but is my new favourite wheat beer (thinking about it, i might prefer Weihenstapahner Kristall Klar, please excuse dodgy spelling), sort of bready/biscuity with no citrussy-ness, very nice. Konig Ludwig was new as well, and good, but not quite as good as the Augustiner. And a decent cider as well.

Liberty Ale is awesome. Totally agree with you there, to anybody wanting to try it: definatly make sure it is all the way chilled before opening. I jumped the gun and I forced myself to drink it even though it was extremely unpleasant.

Had this on tap last evening, really good tasting beer, I'm usually not a big Hefe drinker, but it was just so nice out yesterday, went down real smooth.

rogue%20mom%20hefeweizen.jpg

I bought and drank this a few days ago after seeing it here. I liked it a bunch. I wish Rogue would quit jacking their prices up but it was definitely solid.

after more then a few of these, I'm still not convinced it's worth it's price...