brand synergy

cheep

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

heres my take on this part,so we have in the 80s early 90s the reapropriation of certain items taken on by subcultures or street tribes taking an item for examples sake the jordan1 and re appropraiting its use, I think this actually had functional benifits as the shoe fulfilled needs to the skater that maybe the skate shoes of the time didnt but also im sure won style pionts. but where for me lyes the difference between these subculture reappropriations and say somone on a fashion forum doing it,is that for me personally within the subculture/tribe there is authenticity the look is embeded with a culture it means and comunicates something where as just one guy puting a outfit referenced essentially from al over the place cutluraly,but not him or herself being part of a new group the look becomes empty of authenticity.

i agree with all of what milspex has said, esp. reguarding people making changes in styles who were actually influencial. and seenmys statement was on point as well.. from the functionality to the whole 'emptyness of authenticity, something that ive seen so off in people these days, even if the individual pieces may even be spot on in terms of brand synergy (which usually isnt the case..), size, etc but if the persons just frontin' it'll always look off.

i feel like anyone who migrated from hypebeast forums (charged,witts,djbooduh etc) is always guilty of something i mentioned.

yea exactly and thats i think what mils is getting at and its what gets me when I see somone wearing a brand totally out of context,because basically when we buy in to these brands who essentially are based on these cultures we are buying thier authenticity and using it to create authenticity within our own look as we want to be part of that culture but from location/time etc we cant be for example I love 90s new york and english football hooligans but i grew up neither on the terraces in the 80s and 90s nor in nyc but by asethetic chioces and reference aswell as through brands i can authenticate chioces in my outfit.

so when its worn out of context by some kid who dosent skate or even know about the brand in question but just knows its 'cool' then itlooks stupid as they have no real authenticity(this would all change if it was being reappropriated by a scene or group and forming a new identity)but on here it isnt as theres no one defined culture behind it just a lot of watered down mixed up references.

what i was saying applies to everything not just streetwear at all,thing is alot of the elements are subconcious ones as are most of the decisions are influenced by whats around us but we dont analysie the factors that make us decide on a certain look for the day,

which is why the whole brand harmony/synergy thing sounds so over the top when you break it down and try to rationalise it to people who dont have any real interest in it or care about it as really yeah it dosent matter at all in the grand scale of things, but to some it dose and i guess it borders on obsession down to niche details and references but thats the kind of stuff I live for finding out,

Has anyone seen the Hosoi film? He had crazy cool style back in the BB days...."he wore 3 pairs of sunglasses but the ones on his face had no lenses" He would never wear a t-shirt normally, rather rip of the sleeves and wrap them around his wrist, rip the neck open, tuck 2 shirts into his shorts so it looked like a streamer when flying through the air......then there was the lycra womens pants from a box of free shit...only Hosoi and axle rose can pull them off.

which is why the whole brand harmony/synergy thing sounds so over the top when you break it down and try to rationalise it to people who dont have any real interest in it or care about it as really yeah it dosent matter at all in the grand scale of things, but to some it dose and i guess it borders on obsession down to niche details and references but thats the kind of stuff I live for finding out,

wasnt till I went to 5th to hear about these otaku's, and it's some cool shit

^^ How do you see the harmony/synergy thing if we´re not talking brand -driven streetwear? Personally I dont go for brands much at all, but I definitly keep the pieces I wear consistent and in context with each other. Its likely that its pretty much based on my personal associations and logic though, which might others feel what I wear "clash".

to be honest i see people like yourself to think about these things alot,I mean wearing vintage levis,buying surplas army pieces ,work wear boots etc your buying quality but with those brands your also buying authenticity in the way i see it.and from your waywts the brands you buy essentially authenticate the look that you wear,like i said it dosent mean that you conciously and painstakingly put the outfit together but i think your subconcious might inform your chioces about the items you buy and what they comunicate about you.

this only my take on things by the way.