england :: london :: general

RobbertJan

how hard is it to get into aqua bar in the shard?

also good dining place for a group of 8 mates this friday?

full of ostentatious russians. 

if you read the past page you'll probably realise im shit for nightlife recommendations, but restaurants.

firstly, you have left it KIND of late to get a table for 8, anywhere decent on a friday.

I would recommend meat mission in shoreditch - it american food, but done pretty well. A group of 6 of us showed up without res on friday and waited for about 30 mins before getting a table - theres a bar with some decent beers where you can chill beforehand. You might be able to get a reservation if you do it today or tommorrow. Its not super expensive either. 

Timeout is a pretty safe bet for recommendations but you will have to ring around probably. 

any of you lot who were bitchin about nightlife in London,

tomorrow i will give out address for an huge secret warehouse event with over 3,000 people going, message me if ur in london and i will give the address out tomorrow.

anyones welcome

lol faces is in gants hill which is still technically London, we're not talking Brentwood and the only way is essex territory or some shit. I agree, the 'essex culture' has become a self fulfilling prophecy, people are becoming caricatures of caricatures. 

And yes, you wouldn;t catch me anywhere near a place like that under normal circumstances, but i was with my cousins. I do find it kind of amusing though.

I'm from Essex. In a strange way, I much prefer living in Essex and travelling to London for work/pleasure, I don't think I could take living there at the moment. Plus what you pay for a tiny bedroom in East will get you a whole flat that you don't actually have to share in Essex.

Edited by Owlix

I'm from Essex. In a strange way, I much prefer living in Essex and travelling to London for work/pleasure, I don't think I could take living there at the moment. Plus what you pay for a tiny bedroom in East will get you a whole flat that you don't actually have to share in Essex.

Yea I lived in Colchester for a year - nice middle class place, very pleasant people, dirt cheap rent, some ok restaurants.

Just not a whole lot going on, ever.

any of you lot who were bitchin about nightlife in London,

tomorrow i will give out address for an huge secret warehouse event with over 3,000 people going, message me if ur in london and i will give the address out tomorrow.

anyones welcome

How was it?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

missed that today i'll try to have a look Monday - need to go and see the Rembrandt exhibition as well! 

Btw you have a good place to get a chill dinner on Monday with wifi (its a business "meeting" we need internet to check few things) with a friend (japanese designer), nothing too pricy of course italian/french/... ?

In South Ken there's a place called Margaux which I have eaten at a few times and each time has been a really pleasant meal. It is a bit on the pricier side (not wickedly) and doesn't exactly fall under the Italian category (it's European cuisine so French is probably in the mix somewhere) you mentioned but it's a place I'd really recommend if you're not deadset on food strictly from those two regions. Really great staff, fast wifi and a quiet but not stale environment to do business if you need to. 

Here's the site: http://barmargaux.co.uk/

Gaucho also has wifi and a really chic interior but is also a bit $$$. Excellent food there too, a bit louder and it's a steakhouse so not under your region requisites either (my bad).     

Site if you do want: http://www.gauchorestaurants.co.uk/restaurants/restaurant.php?id=piccadilly

I can't say that I've been to too many Italian and/or French places fit for a business kind of function but I could PM you if anyone sends me a rec. Sorry I don't have anything meeting the criteria bang on but Margaux kinda fits and really is good. Make a reservation there for sure though.

Edited by Eyealt

• 2 weeks later...

Going to London a short trip next week and staying near The Regent's Park. I'm looking for tips on places to eat! Nothing too expensive. Like what's the best lunch, breakfast or pastry? I'm open for any types of food. But traditinal London stuff is appreciated. I also have an appointment in Dalston, so tips on things to do and eat around there would be great!

You going to aka now the dungeon? Food wise from regents park. Is probably head down to soho. Plenty of great food. Koya and honest burgers are two of my favorites. Not really trad London food though.

Thanks! Yep, heading to The Dungeon!

Going to London a short trip next week and staying near The Regent's Park. I'm looking for tips on places to eat! Nothing too expensive. Like what's the best lunch, breakfast or pastry? I'm open for any types of food. But traditinal London stuff is appreciated. I also have an appointment in Dalston, so tips on things to do and eat around there would be great!

Dalston has some interesting stuff going on. I'd recommend popping into Mangal 1 for a Turkish meal. Extremely popular. http://www.mangal1.com/

A friend of mine runs a nice pub there called The Railway Tavern Ale House - http://www.timeout.com/london/restaurants/railway-tavern

• 3 months later...

I'm going to London for 5 days, can you advise me about, pubs, clubs, galleries an restaurants ?

Saatchi, Whitechapel gallery and the Tate are always worth a look, fave restaurants as of late are Koya, Toconoco, Spuntinos, Ritas and a few others. For clubs, Dance Tunnel generally have good lineups, maybe check out Boiler Room, see if there's any NTS parties on, good stuff in the basement of Ace / Jaguar Shoes occasionally also, I would strongly recommend avoiding Fabric and XOYO as they're generally crowded and full of cunts, best way to check for decent raves / clubnights is just to keep an eye on here - http://www.residentadvisor.net/events.aspx?ai=13 . Spitafields flea market is on a Thursday and a nice place to pick up some vintage gear / interesting nick nacks, Soho is an interesting place to look around with the best restaurants and a decent selection of stores, like APC, Folk, Supreme, Other Store, Adidas, Size?, Uniqlo, Tonnes of Vintage and DSM nearby.

• 2 weeks later...

anyone in UK wanna help a brother out with a proxy from UK to Los Angeles? looking to get some adidas stuff that's only on the UK site  :rolleyes:

thanks rirawin - http://supertalk.superfuture.com/index.php?/topic/136346-free-uniqlo-uk-webstore-proxy/

Edited by MissingNo.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Guys is canary wharf worth a studio ?

To live in or to work? I would never live there in a million years, but for work, if you pricing is right and the commute not too painful, it could do although I can't say it feels like a very creative place.