tech/math/grind saved my life

Double D

Ugh. Seriously? The only Naked City albums I can listen to anymore are Absinthe and (sometimes) Leng T'che. The rest of it.... sheeeeehs. The jumpcuts are just pure schtick. I'd rather listen to music.

That and they've got nothing do do with this thread. thomparetta's Flying Luttenbachers reference was actually a good deal more more worthwhile in terms of relevance here (post Vandermark era at least). I can only take Weasel Walter in small doses but the man's a fucking machine.

I guess you're right aboutt them not belonging in this thread...they'd be more suited in a jazz/tech/speedcore hybrid thread.

I give them a head nod for doing what they do in a tight fashion just like The Locust...not exactly the type of thing I can listen to for hours...but I give those two bands respect (more so when playing live).

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree, RFKorp, that flying luttenbachers and xbxrx were the most pertinent additions. I had to keep going because neither name seemed to spark any interest. Maybe others don't really know of weasel walter... but i think many of the people in this thread could appreciate his drumming. like you said... he's a machine.

maybe naked city doesn't belong, but the first page read, loosely, "loud with jazz riffs in 7/4 time"...that's naked city to the T. that doesn't mean they're my favorite band though.

edit: and, like hebay said, they've got a definite style. I don't listen to much locust or naked city anymore, but they were both quite striking when i was new to these genres because of their flamboyant delivery and stage presence. it also springboarded me into things i much favor today, like Boredoms, Henry Cow, Art Bears, etc... but that's for another thread.

but I give those two bands respect (more so when playing live).

I never got to see a live Naked City gig. Which I regret, since back when they were still playing, I did still enjoy their whole approach. But I've seen Zorn play dozens of times, and I sort of got to a point a couple years back where I realized I didn't care about the notes he was playing anymore. It mostly bored me. And it sort of left a permanently sour taste in my ears regarding most of his work ever since.

• 1 month later...

I'm gonna try and revive this with a discussion on the gridlink album that just came out, amber gray. Jon Chang from discordance axis's new band, along with two japanese dudes I don't know. I've given it quite a few listens in the last couple days and its really solid. Getting into DM territory with the drumming. In fact, the only thing keeping this from being a technical death metal band/album is the lack of double bass and guttural vocals, because the guitar work is also really technical. Lots of sweeps and tremelo picking thrown in between the chugs. Chang cut down his vocal range to just the demonic shrieks from the DA days. Its insane he can still keep up, in fact, he might have even outdone himself on this one. Fucking blood curdling.

Anyways, it might not be 'true" grind, but I don't give a shit. It fucking slays and any fan of grind, death or even black metal should check this out, it's completely ferocious and I'm impressed.

Did anyone else see the Daughters show in Brooklyn two weekends ago? I heard it was nothing but bizarre, homoerotic stage antics (the vocalist snow balling spit/water after rubbing it all over his naughty places...for a crowd of only men).

Can't say I'm a fan of male burlesque at a show.

• 7 months later...

NYC? Some good shows coming up. Wetnurse is playing at Lit this Monday. Check them out. Landmine Marathon will be at Lit in April. And I think both bands are playing a show either in BK or NJ...

Some other good shit coming up as well...just can't recall at the moment.

NYC? Some good shows coming up. Wetnurse is playing at Lit this Monday. Check them out. Landmine Marathon will be at Lit in April. And I think both bands are playing a show either in BK or NJ...

Some other good shit coming up as well...just can't recall at the moment.

Posted this in show thread:

For anyone in the Brooklyn/NY area...

DEVASTATING HARDCORE SHOW!!!!

3/27/2009

Club Europa

8:00 pm

CONVERGE, Ceremony, Coliseum, Rise And Fall, Pulling Teeth, and Genghis Tron

not one to miss, obviously

CONVERGE..............................enough said

and Genghis Tron will definitely demolish

ps. been beastin on "A Great Artist" lately.

forgot how insane that cd was

Posted this in show thread:

For anyone in the Brooklyn/NY area...

DEVASTATING HARDCORE SHOW!!!!

3/27/2009

Club Europa

8:00 pm

CONVERGE, Ceremony, Coliseum, Rise And Fall, Pulling Teeth, and Genghis Tron

not one to miss, obviously

CONVERGE..............................enough said

and Genghis Tron will definitely demolish

ps. been beastin on "A Great Artist" lately.

forgot how insane that cd was

• 4 weeks later...

Yesss, this is totally my kind of thread. I've always been a fan of really techy heavier stuff, but I don't own anything that qualifies except a few BTBAM albums (who I actually happen to be listening to right now). I'll definitely check out some bands that have been brought up here...

• 4 months later...
No they're not. Im sick of hearing that. brian bchippendale is a average drummer.

I don't like metal really at all, by the way. Don't get mad. Locust stink. Again, don't get maddmdmdmdmdmddadas (mad).

lol, brian chippendale doesn't use complex technique but the way he plays is totally awesome, if you don't dig it, whatever... but please, tell me which average drummer sounds like him.

and you're right, they're not the most technical band evar but their utilization of noise, speed and technique do it for me.

botch,botch,botch

botch destroys!

i used to listen to alot of the grind.methy techie stuff, some reason or another i cant really get into any of it anymore....

anyone into all that euroscreamo/skramz style stuff too? ex saetia, orchid, kidcrash, laquiete?

here here for the screamo. i think theres a 90's emo saved my life thread but i don't care to find it.

i'm super digging portraits of past lately and swing kids. some new shit maybe ...who calls so loud and loma prieta. not sure if its too screamo (its more hardcore influenced imo) but touche amore is awesome and i'm seeing them tonight.

http://www.myspace.com/toucheamore

yeah it was a small house show, the PA was so shitty that you couldn't hear any vocals for any band. fun times though, the singer jeremy was super nice and gave me a patch for free.

i collect some vinyl, but not too into it. it's mostly hardcore vinyl though.