tech/math/grind saved my life

Double D

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oh boy new black dahlia is really good. i just saw them sunday with cannibal corpse, the red chord, and the abcense. cephalic carnage OWNS live, i saw them with BDM, into the moat, and between the buried and me. the bassist is a badass, he plays a fretless bass. totally killer live, you're in for a treat jpgm.

any people like the daughters or some girls?

cephalic carnage are a bunch of freaks.....i think they basically take a stack of shit, and write the stupidest shit possible. some of the riffs on the blastier bits on their new record are ridiculous.....reminded me a bit of daughters to be honest. cant wait to see em live.

daughters are good....i loved them at first, as they were offering something that was pretty fresh at the time. i think their appeal to me has waned a bit though, they have evolved a reasonable amount, but not enough to keep things really exciting for me.

some girls are good too....are they still on deathwish or have they moved on to bigger things? deathwish used to own...they still put out some quality records, but back in their first year or two, every single release they put out was killer. eg - horrow show.....fucking amazing band.

a little more on the mathy side and less on the heavy side....dysrhythmia....their new album is killer. on relapse, so you know its going to be A-1.

and...the end...also on relapse. i saw them launch their debut full length in toronto a few years back, maybe the start of 2004 perhaps.......fucking amazing. they have changed a fair bit too, still complex, technical and deep, but more straight ahead than they used to be. 'within dividia' is an amazing record. when i saw them in TO my jaw was on the floor the whole time. at that stage they were only 19ish, and the stuff they were playing was so over the top technical, but they executed it as tight as ive ever seen any band play.

the abandoned hearts club (RIP) were on the bill that night too. sorely missed band, definitely worth checking out if you are into botch. they basically played noisy, mathy, metallic hardcore, with electronics....i guess like botch, deadguy et al mixed in with some rockier stuff. lyrics were funny as fuck, they had a good sense of humour which is all too rare with that sort of music. great guys too.

and slightly off topic....but who is a fan of suicide note? their first two records were bullshit good. noisy and discordant as hell, rocky hardcore...toe tappin goodness. are they even still around? im pretty out of the loop as far as heavy music goes these days.

my favorites:

Lykathea Aflame

Whoa, weird to see them mentioned. As far as I know, they had a short run then dropped off the face of the Earth.

But anyway, I find most of this shit annoying, anymore. It was cool in middle school/high school though.

I thought the whole metalcore scenester shit was bad back then (late 90's to 2003), but fuck, it's HORRID now.

I will mention I still bump the shit out of Botch.

Love Daughters. People give them so much shit since chaning their vocal style from Canada Songs to Hell Songs, but I don't really mind, both are still pretty amazing. As The Sun Sets, the band that eventually became Daughters is equally as amazing, although they were more straight foreward grind than the quirky style that Daughters has.

I'm not sure how I feel about Some girls; they put on amazing performace, they opened for Converge last time I saw them and had a crazy finale with a huge bass drum. But their studio stuff doesn't really blow me away.

Im a huge Black Dahlia Murder fan, Unhallowed and Miasma were two of the best deathcore/melodic death metal albums I've ever heard. I've been kind of hesitant to listen to their new one because it's getting such up and down reviews, but I can't imagine them being that bad.

Meshuggah is probably my second favorite band at the moment, such crushing thrash. I swear, Nothing is probably one of the most solid metal albums I've ever heard.

Anyone into The Locust?

I used to be into the Locust, but they're really kind of a novelty band...and actually less interesting since they got serious.

jpgm, you listen to almost exactly the same stuff as my friend naben who plays in this vancouver band called Bend Sinister. you might not actually like them (they play pop-prog a la Queen and Supertramp), but you might take a look. more likely, I should point him towards your bands. you guys kinda dress in a similar style, too. though you have nicer clothes.

DEP totally blew my mind when I saw them a few years ago.

Honestly, though, my heavy music interests tend more towards arty noise rock like Lightning Bolt and burly skate/stoner thrash like STREETS, Bison, and Children, so I won't take up any more space in this thread.

Fuck's sake, we get Job For A Cowboy rather than Cephalic Carnage. Still, BDM, JFAC and Red Chord on December 14 in London... half decent gig, but perfect time to spend a day round Oxford/Regent/Carnaby Street shopping beforehand.

Seeing as we've diverted briefly into melodeath territory, can someone tell me how the fuck Darkest Hour, the godfathers of the modern American metal scene with a pretty amazing heritage behind them are now supporting Unearth and As I Lay Dying? What the fuck?

it's all about popularity. people like unearth and as i lay dying more than darkest hour (how i do not know), but i saw darkest hour on the sounds of the underground tour and they played before the devil wears prada and job for a cowboy(WTF). it's all about what's in at the time, people don't care about history at all.

It's not exactly fucking history though... Darkest Hour have been at the peak of the 'new wave of American heavy metal' since it's inception in the late 90s, and yet now it's selling shitloads of records they're relatively obscure amongst this new generation who love nothing more than ripoffs of ripoffs (see: Bring Me The Horizon ripping off Black Dahlia Murder ripping off At The Gates, but with breakdowns innit).

Fucking hell, I feel 22 going on 40 at the moment. Then again, it's near impossible to persuade most people I know to go to a hardcore show at all these days.

Am I the only one that thinks Darkest Hour is bland?

But anyway, what more can you do with this death metal genre? I just listened to the new BDM and it hasn't changed much since Unhallowed, which is where I left off with that band. Same goes most of the other bands in the same box. Yet kids still buy the same CD over and over. I don't get it.

Same goes for European bands, Dimmu Borgir, etc. Same shit, different year album title/song titles.

Black metal was done quite a few years ago. Black metal should've died with Emperor. Or maybe Blut Aus Nord or Xasthur, because they were the last bands to do anything with the genre.

..reason why I basicly abandoned metal three years ago. Well, that, and it's fucking annoying.

JPGM: Did you see Converge when they come out to Australia this year? I don't recall them playing a show in Perth. But the Sydney show was fucking wicked. They also closed with saddist day in Sydney. Bannon's a frootloop looking cunt aswell. Nice as hell though.

Even though Jane doe is the fucking best.. I've been listening to no heroes lately, And i can't seem to stop. Everything they do is just.. intense.

DEP are fucking hot shit. I'm interested to see what they do in their upcoming album. Not far away now..

Darkest Hour.. Have seen them twice, and both times I walk away thinking how the fuck does Kris Norris pull off some of the shit he does. Anyone who plays, should pray they could do the shit he can do.

JPGM: Did you see Converge when they come out to Australia this year? I don't recall them playing a show in Perth. But the Sydney show was fucking wicked. They also closed with saddist day in Sydney. Bannon's a frootloop looking cunt aswell. Nice as hell though.

Even though Jane doe is the fucking best.. I've been listening to no heroes lately, And i can't seem to stop. Everything they do is just.. intense.

DEP are fucking hot shit. I'm interested to see what they do in their upcoming album. Not far away now..

Darkest Hour.. Have seen them twice, and both times I walk away thinking how the fuck does Kris Norris pull off some of the shit he does. Anyone who plays, should pray they could do the shit he can do.

i was lucky enough to play with all 3 of them on their last AU tours....converge and DEP are a couple of my favourite bands, so needless to say i was fucking stoked.:D

no heroes is sweet....much better than you fail me. you fail me was still a good record, and would have been brilliant by any other band's standards - but the fact is that converge are masters of their craft, and the expectations are therefore higher.

Indeed. Some of the more thrash-influenced riffs on their older albums (largely thinking of Sadist Nation here) were absolutely fucking insane... left hand technique is pretty easy, but the right hand picking is absolutely stupid.

and...the end...also on relapse. i saw them launch their debut full length in toronto a few years back, maybe the start of 2004 perhaps.......fucking amazing. they have changed a fair bit too, still complex, technical and deep, but more straight ahead than they used to be. 'within dividia' is an amazing record. when i saw them in TO my jaw was on the floor the whole time. at that stage they were only 19ish, and the stuff they were playing was so over the top technical, but they executed it as tight as ive ever seen any band play.

really wish this band hadn't taken the direction they've gone in now. the new album sucks in my opinion.... i'm really sad to see them go fro an amazing tech metal band who are, to this day, one of the tightest and best bands i've ever seen live to a boring and completely uninspired "math metal" band. i don't think they're even playing any of the transfer trachea or within dividia songs anymore. they also just got off a tour with poison the well, what the hell?

also, jane doe > no heroes > you fail me

no heroes is sweet....much better than you fail me. you fail me was still a good record, and would have been brilliant by any other band's standards - but the fact is that converge are masters of their craft, and the expectations are therefore higher.

YFM was let down by the production... all Converge albums have had a largely deliberate lofi sound, but YFM sounded tinny and lacking the shitkicking balls of other Converge albums.

I think the 2005 remaster of Petitioning the Empty Sky may well now be my second favourite album (no prizes for guessing the first). Listening to the later CDs, it sounds like Jacob has really fucked up his vocal chords with his dodgy throat-screaming technique.

This weekend, I saw unholy grave, and insect warfare, along with a few others (one of which was animosity...out of place on the bill, but they're getting pretty good at what they do). Great show.

As far as technical metalcore kind of stuff goes, I can't promote owen hart enough. I'm not a big fan of the genre, but these dudes kind of have a mid-90's hc approach (more so in attitude than their sound) to their metal, and I can't get enough of it. I've played with them a few times, and seen them several more times, and they always slay.

Anyone into The Locust?

I can't stand them recorded, but I've seen them live before and they're one of the best live bands I've ever seen, technically speaking. They start and stop on a dime, with no stick clicks or other counters. So nutty. Also, at the time they were on tour with a noise artist, making noise between songs, and it felt like the whole venue was a spaceship a few times, which was kind of funny.

i was lucky enough to play with all 3 of them on their last AU tours....converge and DEP are a couple of my favourite bands, so needless to say i was fucking stoked.:D

No Shit? Did you only play local?

Agreed. You fail me is a great album. There was too much expectation to make another Jane Doe.

You can hear Bannon's voice definitely feeling its age on no heroes though. Even though it's still good shit.. you can hear it's taken a battering over the years.

I saw Raised Fist when they came out last year... fucking awesome. Those guys bring an intense show. But Alle has fucked his voice pretty bad and they had to cancel a few tours after it got worse on the AU tour.