Montreal Meetup?

ogre

My homies do a Monday night event (beer pong, cheap drinks, they had an Orisue give away last week), at the Blue Dog Motel

If your friends skate there is a bar that opens up their mini ramp on Wednesdays with drink specials called Foufounes Electrique

I have friends that do the side room at Tokyo on Thursdays, the side room is pretty chill, but if you're not wifey'd up the main room at Tokyos is crawling with bitties.

Foodwise, Shwartz's is a can't miss for the smoked meat, breakfast everyone is a fan of Beauty's but in the same area there is Dusty's (parc and mont royal) and Bagels Etc (St Laurant and marie anne, you gotta get the huevos rancheros, it's amazing). Lunch/Dinner food you gotta swing by Romado's (down Rachel) for their chicken or pork. Under 10$ and you get a huge ass platter fries, salad, rice and a half chicken/pork.

This weekend at the Belmont Phenomenal Hand Clap and Nosaj thing 10$ a ticket, going to be a good show.

Edit: didn't realize Hocus' post was a week old...

My homies do a Monday night event (beer pong, cheap drinks, they had an Orisue give away last week), at the Blue Dog Motel

If your friends skate there is a bar that opens up their mini ramp on Wednesdays with drink specials called Foufounes Electrique

I have friends that do the side room at Tokyo on Thursdays, the side room is pretty chill, but if you're not wifey'd up the main room at Tokyos is crawling with bitties.

Foodwise, Shwartz's is a can't miss for the smoked meat, breakfast everyone is a fan of Beauty's but in the same area there is Dusty's (parc and mont royal) and Bagels Etc (St Laurant and marie anne, you gotta get the huevos rancheros, it's amazing). Lunch/Dinner food you gotta swing by Romado's (down Rachel) for their chicken or pork. Under 10$ and you get a huge ass platter fries, salad, rice and a half chicken/pork.

This weekend at the Belmont Phenomenal Hand Clap and Nosaj thing 10$ a ticket, going to be a good show.

Edit: didn't realize Hocus' post was a week old...

Thanks dude. I'm actually coming in May so any info is useful to me.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Hey guys, I found out I'll be going to Montreal in late May/ early June with my family and am trying to build up an itinerary. I'll look through this thread to build up some stuff, but can anyone offer me recs for shopping/food/what to do/see?

My french is not strong at all, I take it at my high school but it's a joke. Will we be okay without it? Will people be mad if I speak butchered french?

If theres anything cool going on(festivals, concerts, museum events) that you guys know of from the 27th to June 4th let me know. Also, how is the weather then?

Tourisme Montreal What To Do Events search

the Jazz Festival begins on June 25th

Pik Nik will have started by then

You might want to check the following boutiques: Rooney, Oldgold, les Etoffes, U&I (but I heard they were "recycling" past collections), and Kapok just opened on Laurier west Give a call to TNT to see if they hold men stuff (it changes all the time). Off the Hook has a nice selection of street brands, I believe they have a pop up shop for Penfield right now. Duo has two boutiques on Prince Arthur, dressy and street. On the "large surfaces" side, Simon's got great sales in their designer's section. You'll find mainstream high-end brands at Holt Renfrew and Harry Rosen.

For restaurants, Lemeac is has an established bistro fare and they have a good deal after 10PM (entree+main for 22$). L'Express is also an established bistro. You want to try Schwart'z smoked meat on St-Laurent, and the Bilbocquet ice cream, both of them are institution, and Bagel on St-Viateur. I don't really know your budget for restaurants so it's kind of hard to recommend anything else. Just let me know and I'll recommend you some more.

Here's a good webpage for brunches, and another one for restaurants. You can check Montreal Mirror for events, and last.fm for concerts and shows. If you want to check out low-key bands, bluekiesturnsblack promotes those bands. Check out Il Motore, La Sala Rossa and la Casa del Popolo for some more.

Here are Frommer's recommendations for normal Montreal tourism activities.

Weather is 20C to 30C. Almost everybody speaks English, and there is a proportion of English-speaker-born-in-Montreal who never bothered to learn French, so you should be aight!

Hope that helps, and have a blast.

good stuff pierreyann, i would add Reborn (on St-Paul) and Michel Brisson (on Laurier and St-Paul, but st-paul store is boring) to the list of stores. these are IMO the 2 best stores in Montreal. Not sure were you're from Spudeey, but canadian prices are a bit out there so it can be tough to justify at full price.

I don't get and never got Simons, the mix of brand they carry has always been weird and the prices....

Thanks guys! I didn't know about Brisson I'll check it up. Apt 2 used to have a nice selection of Nudies as well. At Cours Mont-Royal, 3 Monkeys held N&F, and there is also the great but oh-so-pricey AM68 on the second or third floor. ***EDIT** AM68 closed down or might have moved on Laurier but can't confirm. Apt 2 is now almost strictly shoes. ****

Dubuc on St-Denis holds Chronicles of Never shoes, fav brand of mine but a bit out of my budget range. It's good to dream!

Not sure if it's still the case but when I lived in Montreal Reborn only held stuff that was black?

**edit: btw keep them coming I'm moving over Mtl for the summer and I haven't shop since Jan, I'm kind of edgy! ;P

• 3 weeks later...

We've got it figured out and we'll be in Montreal for 3 days and Quebec City for 2 days(message me if you have qc recs, don't want to clog the thread).

If you had 3 days in Montreal, what would you want to do and see? Want to go to bookstores, record-stores, best thrift spots, best cafe+cup of coffee, any cool design stores(shirts, posters, art), good macaroons? Going to list down the stuff you guys have recommended. How is the thrifting? I don't have too much so I'm probably not going to be able to buy anything expensive from boutiques, but any additional recommendations are always appreciated. What street wear(tasteful, not graphic tees) is available?

We're staying in old city, so stuff that won't require us to go out of the way will be great.

also, this is odd, but possible to find expos stuff still?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

hey guys, i'm beginning a data collection on underground and mass consumption for my phd. If you feel you are particularly into something (e.g., music, food, clothes, an activity like biking, sailing, particular brands, or anything else, and it can really be anything) and/or ahead of the game in something, I'd love to have a chat with you. Interviews should last about 2 hours. If that sounds interesting or if you want more info just PM me. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
you missed the greatest movie ever last saturday....

Explain please.

Maude, me and Michelle will probably check out baldwins barmacie after dinner. But it's nap time for now. Who's the guy who works at u&i? He's on here right? Me and Michelle both thought we recognized him butcouldnt place it.