Montreal Meetup?

ogre

• 3 weeks later...

I'll be visiting for the first time next weekend (june 12-14) anything going on then? I already read through the thread in superjetset and plan to hit up the recommended food/club/shopping spots. Anything else I should be doing?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest sousvide

hey montrealians,

i'm moving to montreal for about 6 months. To get my french up to speed and to work. I've been to the city a few times, but never more than a week at a time, and I never really got out of the hotel district.

I'm hoping someone can recommend areas to try and find a place. Or if anyone needs a roomate? Thanks in advance.

depends how much you want to pay / how central you want to be? downtown / old montreal are nice areas, but are definitely far from ideal if you trying to learn french, as everyone will be speaking english. Plateau / Mile-End are very nice areas to live in, although the Mile-End has been invaded by McGill students recently.

Saw in the other mtl thread that you mentionned Griffintown. Griffintown is an old working class (with strong irish history) just south of downtown. The area is still really run-down and most montrealers have never really been there (i admit that i really visited for the first time this year as i moved close in old-montreal and the closest dog park is there). The area has been marked for a giant redevelopment project and there's already been a couple condo projects (which i believe are way overpriced given the location) so gentrification is most likely on the way. it wouldn't be my first choice of area to recommend though, sorta inconvenient in terms of neighborhood life and public transport, but you may find something for mad cheap.

• 1 month later...

my school buddies and i are going this weekend

i think we are going to the pop montreal thing tomorrow

we are staying at 1 rene levesque hotel

we got plenty of booze. we are coming around 8pm.

i have the same phone number as before

whoever is bored as fuck

should call me

my school buddies and i are going this weekend

i think we are going to the pop montreal thing tomorrow

we are staying at 1 rene levesque hotel

we got plenty of booze. we are coming around 8pm.

i have the same phone number as before

whoever is bored as fuck

should call me

wish i could, but it's 8 o'clock on a saturday night and i still have work and has tons to do tomorrow too....

fuck my life

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
Resurrecting this thread:

What's good in Montreal these days? Restaurants, places to drink, etc. Planning a trip for my friends. If there is a reliable site for this information, please just pass that on. +rep for any help.

where are you staying?

My fav cafe must be Cagibi. I usually walk there to read (even in our freezing winter).

Do you guys go to Sharyn Scott? I've been there and scored some pretty nice pieces. A brand new Fred Perry check shirt for $20, a Burberry Prorsum jacket for $70 and a nice pair of Versace boots for $160.

Hocus Pocus, you should check it out if you like vintage shopping. There are some nice stores along the way too.

P/S: I never knew this thread existed! Is there any meetup soon?

OMFG WTF did i miss that O.O

How was it? Must be fun

i didn't go (there's and ~3% chance i can finish work early enough to see a show during the week), but judging from my past experience, it must have been amazing. Saw him at the Jazz fest about 3 years ago and it was completely nuts, guy ended carrying the whole show to the streets. Read not too long ago in a interview in the Globe and Mail that it was by far the craziest show he's ever done. bands always say Montreal has some if not the best crowd, but you assume they say that everywhere so it was cool to hear.

wow I want that experience in my life. That sounds really fun. I'm looking forward to summer (mostly to wear my Damir Doma sandals lol.)

what's the deal with this place with 70 dollar burberry prorsum?

that's fucking crazy

sucks that i missed girl talk

what's the deal with this place with 70 dollar burberry prorsum?

that's fucking crazy

sucks that i missed girl talk

it's a consignment store that mostly have woman's stuff, but i guess it's possible to find a bargain. only been a handful of times so i can't really comment, but it never struck me as somewhere i should visit more often