japan :: tokyo :: general

lamscott

can someone please advise on how the tokyo weather will be in late november? it's my 1st time in japan & i'll be headed there from nov 21 - nov 25. am i gonna need an umbrella, thermals, & a thick jacket? i also read that nov 23rd is a national holiday. will everything be totally shutdown??? i'll be by myself & i don't know anyone there. TIA

I was there last November. Definitely need an umbrella (get it there obviously).

In Tokyo, I wore a long sleeve t-shirt, a beanie and a ski jacket shell and I was completely fine. The sun broke through a couple of days and you didn't need a jacket or a hat at all (dunno how rare that is though). When I was in the mountains, however, it was an entirely different story. Freezed my goddamn nuts off in Takayama.

Do people still bring beef jerky as omiage? I remember back in the day (like 20 years ago) I used to fly through Honolulu to get back home to Brisbane and the gift shops were like Macadamia Nut everything, beef jerky, and every imaginable whiskey.

Do people still bring beef jerky as omiage? I remember back in the day (like 20 years ago) I used to fly through Honolulu to get back home to Brisbane and the gift shops were like Macadamia Nut everything, beef jerky, and every imaginable whiskey.

I still do on occassion, even though you can get the same exact stuff in certain supermarkets in Tokyo. For one of my host families that I hadn't seen in two years, I just grabbed the weirdest most exotic sounding shit from trader joes and made a gift basket and they loved it.

I still do on occassion, even though you can get the same exact stuff in certain supermarkets in Tokyo. For one of my host families that I hadn't seen in two years, I just grabbed the weirdest most exotic sounding shit from trader joes and made a gift basket and they loved it.

haha this sounds like a good idea, I'm going to do this I think. I even have a friend that works at TJ's so I'll get it at a discount. $$$$

haha this sounds like a good idea, I'm going to do this I think. I even have a friend that works at TJ's so I'll get it at a discount. $$$$

they're kinda heavy, but i like taking salad dressing. nieman marcus chocolate covered potato chips has always impressed alot of people cause they don't got that shit.

they're kinda heavy, but i like taking salad dressing. nieman marcus chocolate covered potato chips has always impressed alot of people cause they don't got that shit.

salad dressing? really? haha it's always weird to find out what they do and don't have over there.

anyone know if hoodie dresses like this are seen at all / popular in Japan right now?

serve.asp?media=RSA5305_Cranberry.jpg

thinkin' about picking it up for the girl but idk if it's something she'd see everywhere or not

salad dressing? really? haha it's always weird to find out what they do and don't have over there.

anyone know if hoodie dresses like this are seen at all / popular in Japan right now?

http://www.americanapparel.net/storefront/images/detail/serve.asp?media=RSA5305_Cranberry.jpg

thinkin' about picking it up for the girl but idk if it's something she'd see everywhere or not

nah they got salad dressing, it's just that not alot of the american brands are available.

i haven't seen the neiman marcus shit.

http://www.americanapparel.net/storefront/images/detail/serve.asp?media=RSA5305_Cranberry.jpg

i've seen similar ones, but i think it's pretty safe gift. i can't really say if it is popular or not, but that shouldn't matter. as long as you think she'll appreciate it. she could wear this indoors and outdoors. maybe add a leather jacket over it...it seems versatile enough.

ah, okay. well I've never had a problem with omiage before so I should be alright.

yeah these hoodie dresses are cool and I can get them on the cheap so it should be all good. And like you said, versatile.

Plus hot man, no joke I've seen girls come out of the dressing rooms with those things on and my head almost explodes.

serve.asp?media=RSA5305_Cranberry.jpg

you know they have americanapparel in tokyo right?

you know they have americanapparel in tokyo right?

yep. Shibuya right? And maybe Daikanyama I'm not sure...

but I've had friends tell me that it's not popular there, so much so that it doesn't even have a shortened nickname like "makku" or whatever. So you know if they haven't shortened the name, then it isn't popular yet ;)

salad dressing, fucking genius. The Japanese (plus Asia in general) needs to step up their salad dressing game in a big way.

yep. Shibuya right? And maybe Daikanyama I'm not sure...

but I've had friends tell me that it's not popular there, so much so that it doesn't even have a shortened nickname like "makku" or whatever. So you know if they haven't shortened the name, then it isn't popular yet ;)

they def have one in abazu juban (sic?) it was down the street from the hostel i stayed at

salad dressing, fucking genius. The Japanese (plus Asia in general) needs to step up their salad dressing game in a big way.

I dont know about the rest of Asia, but the salad dressing here is pretty fucking good.

I cant think of many salad dressings back home that please the palate as much as some of the sesame based ones out here (to name but one). I would say game is stepped.

^ that is true, I hadn't counted the Japanese dressings... I am definitely complicit with those sesame and miso dressings, just can't do that for every salad I get though..

In my experience, the rest of Asia knows salad dressing to be synonymous with thousand island... ranch is like some dangerous new world... sometimes they get crazy in Korea and do a 'deconstructed version of thousand island' aka ketchup and mayo, and they dip fucking everything in that, particularly broiled squid. Wouldn't mind seeing the condiments game stepped up over there...... once I finish getting my suitcases packed with my clothes, I'm gonna go to TJ's and fill every last remaining nook and cranny with obscure American groceries... I already have 3 packs of Minnesota wild rice, 2 jars of lime marmalade, and some Tapatio in there...

I've heard he's quit. I think it might be kinda the same thing as like why Sacha Baron Cohen has stopped doing Borat / Ali G and why the Jackass guys have mostly stopped. Once everyone knows your gimmick, the reactions are less funny and the bit loses popularity. I guess they'd rather go out early than have a mediocre character. I love H.G. though, he's hilarious.

Funny this HG talk comes up now.

Killing time between school and work last week I was walking down omotesando, there was a crowd there blocking the whole sidewalk just before LV. Turns out HG was doing some shit with a bunch of stupid fucking looking foreigners wearing similar biker flaming gay outfits and a few fat white chicks. Tv cameras and shit were all there, and I double checked with a j-friend and it seems it was the real Razor Ramon.

i thought he retired too.

I've got some cell phone photos if anyone cares, kinda shitty quality because I fucking hate when groups of people block the whole sidewalk so i was kind of pushing people out of the way.