Hair Thread

qom

for the first, any kind of pomade that's on sale and a hat right after i get out of the shower to flatten my hair down.

for the second, hat to flatten the sides of my hair down after a shower, then d:fi wax. used to use nothing but as my hair got longer, it was harder to keep "up."

^ dude, post a pic, I've liked your hair in past pictures. I am currently in the middle of that long growing process in hopes that it'll be long enough to tie up out of my face for summer... :(

ah, my hair is still short for the time being, I'm to that point where I'm tucking my bangs behind my ears. I had the Nakata cut for the past 2 years while working and now I'm changing gears and going out to do a massive world trip and coming back to go to school again so I am trying to go the low-maintenance route now...

If I keep my hair short that usually means haircuts every two weeks and I usually am not happy with anything that's not a $50-100 Japanese haircut which is always a hassle to get when I'm out and about places. Figure this is my last chance to have caveman hair steez as well, before I really have to grow up and give up on it, haha....

• 2 weeks later...

hey guys i'm also in the growing-out stage, it's been 6+ months since i cut my hair but it's curly as fuck so it takes me really, really long to grow it out (this is the first time i've done it).

incidentally, with all the talk about washing routines, here's an article from the New York Times:

February 21, 2008

Skin Deep

Of Course I Washed My Hair Last Year (I’m Almost Certain)

By ANNA JANE GROSSMAN

CLEANLINESS may be a virtue, but when it comes to hair? Apparently, not so much.

For Allison Drescher, a consultant in Boston, shampooing has become a weekly ritual she outsources.

“I get it washed and blown out once a week,†Ms. Drescher, 35, said. “It’s just one less thing to worry about day to day.â€

Her stylist, Jeffrey Lyle at Emerge Spa and Salon, suggested it for convenience and for allure. “When it’s a little dirty, it actually looks smoother and shinier,†Mr. Lyle said.

Decades ago, a hairdresser’s most loyal customers — the Norms and Cliffs of salons — were grannies who would regularly come in to have their hair shampooed and set. For generations, the very idea of shampooing at home was almost taboo.

Today, as textured locks and full hair begin to eclipse the ironed and Japanese-straightened styles that were previously in vogue, weekly visits to salons are more common among women who were born since the Eisenhower administration. Women say it cuts down on bathroom time by eliminating daily blow-drying and is an excuse for more pampering when everything else has been polished and waxed.

“There’s this whole new breed of young fashionable girls who are getting that once-a-week shampoo and blow dry and just milking it,†said Johnny Lavoy, the owner of Moda-Rey Salon and Spa in West Hartford, Conn. They grew up, he said, “thinking you have to wash your hair every time you shower, but they’re realizing that natural oils are good for the hair.â€

It’s hard to imagine that shampoo will ever be obsolete, but some bottles are likely lasting longer these days.

Abby Fazio, the owner of New London Pharmacy in Manhattan, washes her hair only every seven days. The rest of the time, she uses one of her store’s five spray-on “hair powder†cleansers, like Batiste Dry Shampoo and René Furterer Naturia, to sop up excess oil. She sprays the powder on her roots, lets it sit for a few minutes, then blots it off with cheesecloth and brushes out the rest. “I can get ready in 30 minutes,†said Ms. Fazio, 48, compared with two hours to shampoo, dry and style.

The market for “dry shampoos†has started to grow, said Virginia Lee, an analyst at Euromonitor International, a company that tracks product trends. In the last two years, several upscale hair-care lines, including Bumble and Bumble and Oscar Blandi, have come out with hair powders.

Another factor is the comeback of retro up-dos, à la several celebrities in the current Vanity Fair tribute to Alfred Hitchcock. Over the week, a well-cemented beehive or twist can devolve into a pleasingly messy coiffure in the spirit of Amy Winehouse.

Michelle Fiona, a stylist at Bumble and Bumble in New York, is a believer in minimal shampooing and in letting a styled look unfurl. “A lot of cute younger girls want something fun but stylish, so they get a kind of beehive that they then milk for as long as they can,†she said. “From that, they take it out and it’s sort of textured and messy and it has good wave and body from all the back-combing that was done. It’s so many hairstyles in one.â€

Some men and women have ditched shampoo altogether, either from fear of the chemicals it contains, or out of the belief that it’s not necessary.

In recent years, stylists at Devachan in Manhattan, a salon chain specializing in curls, have helped boost the trend. Lorraine Massey, a founder of Devachan, simply rinses and agitates her scalp with fingers (or uses a nonlathering cleanser like Devachan No-Poo). “The moment I stopped using detergent was the moment I started loving my hair,†she said.

But trichologists, scientists who specialize in studying hair and scalp issues, are skeptical that any good could come from jettisoning the Pantene. They argue that sebaceous glands, which secrete oil, never vacation.

Philip Kingsley, a trichologist in Manhattan and London, said of nonshampooers: “These people have just gotten used to the fact that their hair is greasy and dirty, so they don’t notice anymore.â€

Mr. Kingsley should avoid Sydney, Australia, where going without shampoo is in fashion. Last year Richard Glover, a radio host in Sydney, interviewed Matthew Parris, a columnist for The Times of London who hadn’t shampooed for more than a decade.

“So many people called saying that they wanted to try it, too,†Mr. Glover said, that he decided to challenge his audience to go without shampoo for six weeks.

Eighty-six percent of the over 500 participants who reported results said their hair was either better or the same. One participant, Emma Rowles, 22, blamed her former “itchy scalp†on shampoo and declared: “There’s no way I will ever let a drop of shampoo anywhere near my head again.â€

Mr. Glover had another reason why some Australians just say no: “We’re tired of feeling like cogs in the machinery of consumption. There’s this feeling of liberation to be able to say no to an entire aisle of the supermarket.â€

I've been keeping my eye open for a picture of a stylish quiff so I can show my hair stylist for reference for what I want. A quiff is a mix between the pomadour and a fohawk. If anyone happens to come across a nice picture while looking at runway shots or whatever throw it my way.

Presuming I wanted to start washing my hair less for a nicer shine, texture etc. then how would I stop myself from inadvertantly washing it in the shower (which I NEED to have everyday)? Or is it okay as long as I don't use shampoo?

so here's my 'do, first two pics are when it's wet and the second two are after it dries. i wash it with shampoo and conditioner about once a week. i do not use any hair products.

34xfgd1.jpg

iwmays.jpg

2rpr7zk.jpg

2qareis.jpg

hahaha CHARLIE MURPHY

so here's my 'do, first two pics are when it's wet and the second two are after it dries. i wash it with shampoo and conditioner about once a week. i do not use any hair products.

34xfgd1.jpg

iwmays.jpg

2rpr7zk.jpg

2qareis.jpg

I%27m_RickJames_Bitch%21.jpg

Rick-James-99.jpg