the heroin thread (for hardcore addicts)

Guest jmatsu

haha. i used to be into all of those bands. i actually saw orchid's last show ever, in this tiny room at harvard university. they played two sets because it was so tiny and kid's lined across the block to get in. too bad those guys are in panthers now, cuz they huff mad dong.

I have a tape of this that I converted to mp4, have you seen it? It's on the internet, can you see yourself in the video? haha.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

fuck yes, MOHINDER was the best of the gravity groups, hands down.

listened to the UOA 12" ep (on kill rock stars) yesterday for the first time in ages. fucking sick! it still had the price sticker on it from Double Decker records in Allentown, PA. paid $6. seemed like a lot for an EP at the time.

ha

can you link me to it or yousendit please? i think i was standing off to the side behind the bass amp. i may be the only asian guy there. i've always wanted a copy of the show, but never got one.

edit: found the video on youtube. i'll have to check it.

I have a tape of this that I converted to mp4, have you seen it? It's on the internet, can you see yourself in the video? haha.

anyone remember SPAZZ? i remember them playing at stalag before the whole grind thing blew up.

Played with them too, they were awesome, but they were on some whole other shit from the Gravity bands. Personally I liked the Slap-a-Ham bands a lot more. We were on one of the Bleeeeaaarrrghh! comps that they put out, but that shit was unlistenable.

Played with them too, they were awesome, but they were on some whole other shit from the Gravity bands. Personally I liked the Slap-a-Ham bands a lot more. We were on one of the Bleeeeaaarrrghh! comps that they put out, but that shit was unlistenable.

Apples and oranges. I dug what both labels were doing though.

Which band were you in??

INFEST was a stellar slap-a-ham band

i love watching old San Diego band clips on youtube of swing kids.

i always thought drive like jehu was completely more of a DC sounding band, especially in the later stuff. but their influence is huge.

gravity records was huge when i was growing up in nebraska. all the dudes rocked spock haircuts and wanted that sound

Has anyone heard Year Future?

Sonny Kay (The VSS, Angel Hair, GSL) is the frontman.

year future's first full-length album is fuuuuucking amazing.

yeah year future is wild. sounds like if The VSS took up surfing.

Guest jmatsu
haha. the whole spock rock thing was hilarious. everyone in seattle loved to dress like that too.

i remember this about seattle. i was went there on vacation around 8 years ago. people were into that spock rock thing, but i guess that heavy metal/rock wear thing ala tight bro's from way back when was catching on too.

i had like one friend in seatle. he wasn't into hardcore or punk. i made him come with me to jets to brazil. i purposely wore a slapshot tee to the show and go dirty looks/ostracized.

i think i talked about it in the hardcore saved my life thread, but i love me some michigan militia shit. jihad, ottawa (even though they weren't all from michigan), ordination of aaron, current, stick and stones...man the list goes on.

i had much love of ebullition recs as well. it's weird i used to spend all my money on records, now i just spend it on clothes, whores and drugs. what happened to our scene?!?

the only slap-a-ham band i really liked was gasp althought i never did hear much of their catalog.

man, i bought that gasp/noothgrush 7" and that gasp song on there was great...so that made me by the LP by them and i was kinda dissapointed.

speaking of SPAZZ..i made the last show at gilman and still have the flyer...

spazz

total fury

the oath

iron lung

falling over drunk

sad sad night....

man, i bought that gasp/noothgrush 7" and that gasp song on there was great...so that made me by the LP by them and i was kinda dissapointed.

speaking of SPAZZ..i made the last show at gilman and still have the flyer...

spazz

total fury

the oath

iron lung

falling over drunk

sad sad night....

oh shit, the oath... ex-charles bronson right?

i missed out on all this stuff while it was in vogue due to being too young but i've been working on my vinyl collection. wish these bands were still around.

yeah, seattle was big on it. the funny thing is that kids who looked like spock/murder city devil/blood brothers hung out with kids who were clearly into tight bro's/karp.

did you see jets to brazil at rckndy?

michigan hardcore was excellent. council records put out a lot of good stuff like those you listed and constatine sankathi, chino horde etc...

i totally used to spend all my money on records, shirts, shows. i don't do any of that, except for maybe going to some high brow concert. too bad current hardcore sucks so much donkeyballs that i don't even car anymore.

i remember this about seattle. i was went there on vacation around 8 years ago. people were into that spock rock thing, but i guess that heavy metal/rock wear thing ala tight bro's from way back when was catching on too.

i had like one friend in seatle. he wasn't into hardcore or punk. i made him come with me to jets to brazil. i purposely wore a slapshot tee to the show and go dirty looks/ostracized.

i think i talked about it in the hardcore saved my life thread, but i love me some michigan militia shit. jihad, ottawa (even though they weren't all from michigan), ordination of aaron, current, stick and stones...man the list goes on.

i had much love of ebullition recs as well. it's weird i used to spend all my money on records, now i just spend it on clothes, whores and drugs. what happened to our scene?!?

michigan hardcore was excellent. council records put out a lot of good stuff like those you listed and constatine sankathi, chino horde etc...

i totally used to spend all my money on records, shirts, shows. i don't do any of that, except for maybe going to some high brow concert. too bad current hardcore sucks so much donkeyballs that i don't even car anymore.

i saw constantine sankathi at more than music fest in columbus ohio once--------they killed it! they all had their hair buzzed and dyed blue

i am the same way now---------if the concert isn't a sit-down kind of thing, or a free neighborhood jazz fest or something, chances are i won't be there

spent last night listening to old gravity records; the candle half of the candle/antioch arrow split 7" is fucking incredible; listened to the UOA on gravity----so much more grand and cosmic than their more athletic KRS release; "he holds his staff up, the inscription reads: no man may move on until he has forgotten what it is to live in fear"; the fear forgotten they turn their backs, never to understand..."

and plopped on the heroin 12"; remember how the center hole wasn't punched out? each center label was cut out from a magazine. mine is "ET" and the hole goes through his heart

also found a gravity records order form------i had every single record. i guess through doing distro. $6 for LPs, iirc. those were the days.....

listened to the UOA on gravity----so much more grand and cosmic than their more athletic KRS release; "he holds his staff up, the inscription reads: no man may move on until he has forgotten what it is to live in fear"; the fear forgotten they turn their backs, never to understand..."

Totally. All their stuff was great but the Gravity EP was on some other shit.

and plopped on the heroin 12"; remember how the center hole wasn't punched out? each center label was cut out from a magazine. mine is "ET" and the hole goes through his heart

Weird. I've seen copies of the Heroin 7" like that but not the 12". Is it the first run on Vermiform/Gravity or just Gravity?

^ ddohnggo - that mohinder 7" w/ the covers screened over magazine cut-outs is my favorite 7" ever, probably. "this is not procedure, somethings out of order, we are not outnumbered..."; i remember having one that was screened over david lee roth-----unfortunately the one i kept for myself is screened over random magazine text, kinda uninteresting.

fingers----i don't know the answer to that. i will see.....

wasn't the guy from duster or her space holiday or some shit in mohinder? did either have records put out on up records?

Yeah, Duster was Clay and Dove from Mohinder/Calm. Marc from Her Space Holiday was in Calm (and Indian Summer) but not Duster. Most of the Duster stuff was on Up but the guy that ran Skylab put out one of their singles..

hmm, I loved this stuff, but haven't listened to it for so long.

Unwound and drive like jehu are still two of my fav bands though, especially unwound, but unwound I liked more in their "calmer" period. I think I am gonna listen to antioch arrow now.

Two bands that where earlier, but remind me of a the gravity stuff sometimes are Void and Die Kreuzen. I still adore the Void part of the void/the faith split.

Anyway, I like the namedropping, good reasons to check this stuff out again. Das Oath is the only 'newer' band in this style that I really know well, but there must still be lots of newer band doing this kind of stuff.