Anyone make their own clothes?

fg0d

this is all from word of mouth as I read this on Mouko's blog and he seems to be a very straight forward guy (went to Parsons, worked for Robert Geller, working on his own clothing line)

plus, Amazon doesn't offer many other menswear books besides Metric Cutting so I'm going to pull the trigger on it this weekend and hopefully i can tell you guys how it is by the end of next week.

EDIT: i just purchased Metric Pattern Cutting for Menswear at amazon. total came out to be $40 with free shipping. the down side is that i wont recieve the book until the 13-15 of September. damn...

as for machine, you can pick an industrial far cheaper than 500-700, use ebay searching your local.

theyre big and fucking serious heavy, so only cool if you got space.

True all around, 700 would get you a nice new machine with reverse and a few doodads but I got the one I posted last page for $200, table and all. It's from 1896- these machines don't fuck around.

i'm a student :)

333892741.jpg

333892736.jpg

a dress shirt dress with cut outs and dart in shoulder. drawstrings on sideseams and 8 welt pockets to mimick ribcage

333892740.jpg

333892739.jpg

my bat rider jacket. oversize. flaps on sleeves and you can tie them!

333892737.jpg

oversized gingham dress shirt modeled by my friend suko :)

xxx

a dress shirt dress with cut outs and dart in shoulder.

EG's gon' git uuuuuu.

That bat jacket is awesome though. Same with the first one, but it's hard to see how it all looks together.

That gingham is kinda a disappointment compared to the other two in terms of interestingness though.

how can you douche bags say his shits disappointing, but jump on the crotch of people making hooded sweaters and jeans?

eri, good work, glad to see something interesting being made... can you send me a few detail shots of construction of the bat/overrider jacket? send in PM if you dont want em public.

good shit

EG's gon' git uuuuuu.

That bat jacket is awesome though. Same with the first one, but it's hard to see how it all looks together.

That gingham is kinda a disappointment compared to the other two in terms of interestingness though.

yo, she and her friend suko could get it

i like the bat jacket a lot. its like goth ninja x frute

Metric Pattern Cutting for Menswear: Including Unisex Clothes and Computer Aided Design

Is the best for menswear eh? If you know any other good book about constructing patterns for men, don't be shy!

i just received the book and its a great read. talks about sleeves, collars, pants, shirts, button ups.

i would recommend that you get this book if you wanted to know more about pattern cutting for menswear.

although he does use cm instead of inches (the only down side i suppose)

personally it didn't help me much construction wise. or maybe i just need a sewing/pattern making class because some of these books just aren't getting through to me. who knows.

Are you looking for info on how to make specific clothes? Because really the RD book is a reference book. It's the book you pull out when you forget how to make a dart, or how to do sew a button or put in a zipper, attach lining. I think you're looking for a different book if you're looking for how to construct a dress shirt, RD is just for the parts.

I just had to come to its defense because it's pretty much sewing gold, I don't want anyone to pass it up.

Are you looking for info on how to make specific clothes? Because really the RD book is a reference book. It's the book you pull out when you forget how to make a dart, or how to do sew a button or put in a zipper, attach lining. I think you're looking for a different book if you're looking for how to construct a dress shirt, RD is just for the parts.

I just had to come to its defense because it's pretty much sewing gold, I don't want anyone to pass it up.

No, you're right that it does give good information about how to do zippers, buttons, collars and hems. But i was looking for a book to teach me how to sew together a shirt, pants, button ups and things like that.

To clarify,

Metric Cutting-good for learning how to cut fabrics

Readers Digest: Complete Guide to Sewing: good for buttons, hems, (finishing touches)

but i'm still looking for a book to teach me how to construct these patterns together.

sorry if i came off offensive but I'm pretty desperate for a book to help me piece these patterns together, as my FIT portfolio deadline is coming to a close in about a month. times ticking and i could really use some help. :o

No, you're right that it does give good information about how to do zippers, buttons, collars and hems. But i was looking for a book to teach me how to sew together a shirt, pants, button ups and things like that.

To clarify,

Metric Cutting-good for learning how to cut fabrics

Readers Digest: Complete Guide to Sewing: good for buttons, hems, (finishing touches)

but i'm still looking for a book to teach me how to construct these patterns together.

sorry if i came off offensive but I'm pretty desperate for a book to help me piece these patterns together, as my FIT portfolio deadline is coming to a close in about a month. times ticking and i could really use some help. :o

My advice is to stop stressing. FIT and Parsons (yes parsons) are both easy to get into.

As for putting patterns together, you really just have to understand the language of patterns. I would suggest buying a very simple pattern (like for a simple skirt or a basic shirt from Vogue patterns) and watch this video (and other videos)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLPqM2KZsuk

to thomas_highstreet

Totally fucking agree. cm >>>>> inches

Winifred Aldrich is a she? who woulda known. :rolleyes:

and thanks for the advice on the schools. my designs are solid, heads in the right place and sewing capabilities are good it's the constructing part and the lack thereof SAT's (for Parsons) that worries me the most.

thanks to the both of you for your help though!

• 4 weeks later...

I once dyed some levis that I didnt want to be faded anymore (prewash)...I used 1 container of liquid indigo color dye and 1 package of black powder dye.

Came out in a very deep blue...washed them and they retained the color well.

Dunno what happened after that, sold em on ebay.

So just how good is this Procion dye?

Hey, I'm about to dye a brand new shirt. It's pretty nice with interesting details but I can't stand the colors. I was going to get Procion dye but the only stuff available in my area was Dylon and Rit (and I was too impatient to order online). I went with Dylon and some rit color remover.

The real question for you guys is, what should I expect with the Rit Color Remover? The shirt is a dark brown with some green detailing. Is it even worth it or a bad idea? Should I just throw the black on top and hope for the best?

ive dyed a white cotton sweater black with ritt dye and it was coo for a week, then after a couple washes its now a dark purple, pretty cool actually. but if you want real black do something like this; http://www.primitiveways.com/black_dye.html

Dum... Mrip... I... I have no idea... if you guys are being sarcastic. Dammit. Or what the gif means at all.

its from a tv show

the characters name is dylan

similar to the name of the dye dylon

i do ghetto repairs, i was taught to sew by my crusty-ass hobo friend drew so i learned with dental floss and patches...mostly just tailoring t-shirts and easy shit but it's essential, everyone should know how to hand-sew

Cabl3: I've heard very good things about procion though not enough people use it (like Rit) to give you a review.

Hailxneu: Helpful and alternately, not helpful. Overall: thanks.

Mrip: it occurred to me a couple minutes after to look at the image properties. I now need to go watch a lot more Chappelle's show. Fun fact: Dave Chappelle's website url only has ONE p.

heh. there are kits out there that you can buy that use this process rather than a dark colored dye. don't know of any specifically though.