BEING A LIAR ABOUT COOL STUFF SAVED YOUR LIFE

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha. Well that's the truth ain't it? Evis/Evisu repros are amazing. Their new stuff has really gone downhill from what I've seen. Maybe the stuff at their store in Daikanyama is better, but the stuff that's making it's way into the rest of the world is seriously lacking in comparision to their older models.

Maybe hip isn't the best word. But Evisu is at a definite high point in popularity, especially amongst the 'hipster' (aka trendwhore) crowd. People are just jumpin on it for the logo/status appeal without the slightest clue/care about the history of the brand.

Evisu was one of the best denim makers in the world, and is still fairly strong as a brand. Recently, however, the brand has been seriously diluted.

That is all of course just my opinion. But I'm sure many others share similar views.

What the fuck. Dunks, Chuck Tailors, what the hell. Who wears that? I mean, c'mon, street wear? Hardcore? Tagger style? Whats up with that. What is this about anyway?

I wear the brands /yes brands, I am branded, I have yet to find stuff I like as much as good quality brand stuff, e.g. Missioni, Dior, Prada/ I like, not the brands people discuss here.

But hey, know what? My interest is fashion. I'm into it. I like reading about whatever it is Gucci, Evisu, Supreme or Army hats. I think its cool to know as much as possible and I try to know as much as possible, its simple.

MAD YOUNG MAN

evolution of milspex: (The Nerd/Skater/Japanophile/Elitist/Aspiring billionaire/Jerk)

lived out in the USA as a kid. got first pair of Nikes (cortez).

>

favourite movie as a kid was Karate Kid. loved bonsai.

>

listened to hardcore/punk in HS watched bootlegs of subtitled Jap cartoons, collected comics...(total Geek)

>

saw Kids

>

skated a while/found out about the NY scene, club kids, Supreme etc

>

wore droors, independent etc

>

went to local dj shows, got into hip hop, breaks etc

>

studied Japanese in uni to watch more Jap cartoons

>

jap friends at uni intro'd me to stuff like W)Taps, BAPE etc

>

lived in Tokyo as exchange student

>

while in Tokyo met designer friends of then GF, who shopped at places like Neighborhood, Supreme, After Hours, Silas & Maria, Stussy etc. ended up working most of the time instead of studying to blow it all in Harajuku every weekend.

>

picked up first dunk reissues in Japan circa 2000 coz I was sick of AFIs an wanted something fresh but still simple. (now I'm associated with those fuckin sneaker heads : ( )

>

hung out at clubs like Air, went to BAPE heads shows, Yoyogi Park every Sunday. I love Tokyo.

>

Went back to Australia, finished uni here, got a job. started skating again.

>

heading back to Japan in a month coz just got a job there. the saga will continue...

is that 'real' enuf for ya Moniker?

2000AD Hectic Homeboys Lace Themselfs on a Daily Basis

Be Advised: Morgan Nixon AKA Moman631 AKA Moman6040 is a fraud.

Everybody has their own opinion and it would be a bland world if we all thought the same. Good on you for putting your thoughts out there Monkier, it takes balls to give an honest opinion (if your lurking, as stated previously).

I don't own anything people on here talk about, apart from an SSur tee my buddy got me from Japan (was black now grey from a thrashing) and some old freshjive stuff. I like the board, there are creative people on here and it's a good outlet for information on labels, links and just general information on clothing and design. It's a great place to chat to people with similar interests. Not many people In my town are into what im into, so it's ace for me to check out this board and get some interaction. And of course you don't have to beleive everything you read....as the old saying goes.

I have learnt invaluable stuff on denim from all you guys, stuff you can't figure out by yourself. Selvage denim, cuts, labels etc. I have been making Jeans for years and didn't really fully understand selvage denim before I checked out this board....so much gratitde for you guys.

My ending...If someone is a good cat, a freind, is loyal, makes ya laugh, helps ya out, I don't give a fuck if he wears a dirty old potatoe sack, and hopefully vice versa

Shine on gents, keep the good stuff coming

i have to agree with andewhall...i think that being an older cat (though from other posts i know i am not the oldest) i have gone through so many phases that to know what was 'real' or a 'trend' didn't matter so much since what was real is what i am today- when i was a 12 yr old kid listening to wjlb in detroit that i would be listenin to hip hop 18 yrs later yet here i am in london shooting some legends (rev run the latest) and some up and coming (kweli, the roots) for a legendary magazine.... so, i am what i am- and from my experience it takes some following to get to leading.

st is a great platform to see what is hot and what may not- i will tell you know that there are tons of trend forecasters on this forum seeing what to follow or report. look at the apc threads, i remember asking ringring his advice about them months ago and now the apc thread is like 13 pgs long. check the edwin thread, that will be the new hot topic. and big up to ringring, he is a true gent giving his opinion and advice but never once calling anyone a follower even though he knows more about the brand, and probably heard or had seen the brand months or even yrs before. my point is that those who are getting defensive about monikers post, relax...those who get upset are the ones whoes insecurities rear its ugly head.

[run1.jpg]

Thumbs up to you Kremedla.......along with ring_ring, wild_whiskey, Serge D, Darknworn, Deim23, Abel and Geowu. Cheers for the sweet info and leads.

• 3 years later...

DUDE... all i have to say is

Some of you people are really full of shit, and i feel bad because you switch up your backgrounds,hometowns,interests, and "friends" soo much that they are starting to overlap!?

YOU CANT BE INTO EVERYTHING! and if you are/"were" then that means you never got deep into anything and your nothing but a rich kid who buys their way into everything.

You buy a "cool computer" complete when you surf the web..

You mess up you ann dem boots and distress you leather bag when you want to be gothninja..

You rock overalls when you want to be bluegrass..

You buy $1000 lavinz to be a sneaker head..

You pay someone to make leather wallets and messenger bags for you when you want to feel hip and original..

You wear cut-off shorts and feather boas when you want to be frute swagz...

You sell nudie masa when you want to be a "hustla"..

YOU ARE A SHEEP.

PLEASE FIND YOURSELF...

Stop reading sanskrit and watching flowers blooming to find out whats "cool" and then claim to have done it first before anyone else.

THIS WILL BE MY LAST POST ON HERE....IM GOING ON A RAW FOODIST DIET..UNTIL THE VOICE IN MY HEAD SAYS STOP!

^^ I KNOW YOU WILL JACK A LOT OF WHAT I SAID...IF YOU DO THEN YOU HAVE NOT REALIZED ANYTHING.

06k_O6TXlik

you buy ENGINEERED GARMENTS when you wanna pretend you don't work in a cubicle

you buy $700 lonewolf boots when you want to be working class

you get a REDMOON medicine pouch when you want to be feathered indian

you buy a buzz rickson x william gibson MA-1 when you want to pretend to be a woman with logo allergies

you take pictures of your sanded jeans instead of lying on sandy beaches when you want to be stroking the coffin of your ancestors

you make jokes about milkshakes when you should be a young man prowling the schoolyard drinking other persons fluids without their knowledge or consent

you steal away in the dead of night and wander the streets with nowhere to go and the streets have no music videos

you make meals out of mealworms and they dine on you when you want to be in denial

you hold yorick's skull when you want to wonder about clown erections

DmB6BUQSgbg

• 3 weeks later...

GENTS... all i have to say is

Some of you people are really full of love, and it is good because you switch up your backgrounds,hometowns,interests, and "friends" soo much that they are starting to create a wonderful mosaic!?

YOU CAN BE INTO EVERYTHING! you sample life's offerings, taking only what is best, and disregard that which offends the palate.

you dance with the devil in the pale moonlight

you wear lifesaver socks when you want demonito to ejaculate on your toes

you buy socks with tangerine when you want to own more hosiery

you ride on a skateboard when you want to go fast

you buy beeeesabeeem on supermarket to stimulate the superfuturistic economy

you start a new thread about what you shipped today when you ship your goods

you take photographs of your food with a DSLR when you want to stimulate the appetites of the anonymous electronic horde

YOU ARE A LAMB.

PLEASE SHAVE YOURSELF AND FROM YOUR SOFT WOOL CREATE AN OVERSIZED SHAWL NECK CARDIGAN...

Ask penguins, polar bears, and baby harp seals to find out whats "cool" and then start a thread about it first before anyone else.

THIS WILL BE MY LAST POST ON HERE....IM GOING TO A FLAVOR TRIPPING PARTY..UNTIL THE VOICE IN MY HEAD SAYS STOP!

^^ I KNOW YOU WILL RESPECK A LOT OF WHAT I SAID...IF YOU DO THEN YOU HAVE REALIZED EVERYTHING.

C1AKtQk-Mr0

GENTS... all i have to say is

Some of you people are really full of love, and it is good because you switch up your backgrounds,hometowns,interests, and "friends" soo much that they are starting to create a wonderful mosaic!?

YOU CAN BE INTO EVERYTHING! you sample life's offerings, taking only what is best, and disregard that which offends the palate.

you dance with the devil in the pale moonlight

you wear lifesaver socks when you want demonito to ejaculate on your toes

you buy socks with tangerine when you want to own more hosiery

you ride on a skateboard when you want to go fast

you buy beeeesabeeem on supermarket to stimulate the superfuturistic economy

you start a new thread about what you shipped today when you ship your goods

you take photographs of your food with a DSLR when you want to stimulate the appetites of the anonymous electronic horde

YOU ARE A LAMB.

PLEASE SHAVE YOURSELF AND FROM YOUR SOFT WOOL CREATE AN OVERSIZED SHAWL NECK CARDIGAN...

Ask penguins, polar bears, and baby harp seals to find out whats "cool" and then start a thread about it first before anyone else.

THIS WILL BE MY LAST POST ON HERE....IM GOING TO A FLAVOR TRIPPING PARTY..UNTIL THE VOICE IN MY HEAD SAYS STOP!

^^ I KNOW YOU WILL RESPECK A LOT OF WHAT I SAID...IF YOU DO THEN YOU HAVE REALIZED EVERYTHING.

i have danced with the devil in the pale moonlight, i have stopped and asked the polar bear what is "cool"

i asked of him: "now that your ancestral home is shrinking, will you move into one of the new condominiums on the east side of the river?"

the polar bear said to me: "my family is in seoul, i do not speak your language. your pain is the breaking of the shell that encloses your understanding."

If any of you guys are interested, there are some books that might shed light on some of the topics being discussed here. Starting with Dick Hebdige's Subculture: The Meaning of Style and Hakim Bey's T.A.Z. I know it's a bit nerdy to mention texts in a fashion thread but it would be interesting to see what would happen if you guys did indeed read these books. It might lead to a bit more clarity in regards to these thoughts and arguments. Of course you might not want clarity and you might just feel content living in the haze of sad teenage angst. If so then that is fine too, although it might not be a good idea to wax poetic on a poorly constructed notion of a 'follower' or in your words 'sheep'. It might make you look like an idiot in front of random people on the internet.