Dirty Dozen +1 (Around the world...)

cheep

was this fuckng awesome?  

274 members have voted

1. 1. was this fuckng awesome?

• yes
    • fuck yes
    • no.

miz thats some wonderful pics.. greetings form Australia and i can finally comment because the jeans have completed their circumnavigation of the globe..

congrats to all who have worn them.. The jeans are amazing, look great now and the breaking in of them has been a pleasure to watch over the last year.

great idea ;)

also my favorite thing about it has been seeing such an interesting view of such interesting people all around the world.

thanks for the insight

regards,

jes

ok, not too much happened today. i taught a brazilian jiu-jitsu class on the military base. took some pics of my students.

look at the size of this guy! this is big john, all 320 pounds of him.

DSC_0114.jpg

shimabukuro-san, japanese military policeman.

DSC_0115.jpg

steve, u.s. navy military policeman.

DSC_0116.jpg

after class, i spent the day practicing in the lab.

DSC_0124.jpg

yuki found this at the 100 yen store today. you can find the most incredible gadgets, tools, and knick-knacks in the japanese 100 yen stores. if any of you go to japan, make sure that you go to a 100 yen store and knock yourself out. anyways, i thought this box was especially appropriate for this thread. perhaps i will put some dd+1 style paint on the back pockets??? please feel free to photoshop it in for me.

DSC_0117.jpg

DSC_0118.jpg

anyways, a pretty uneventful day. hopefully tomorrow, we'll do something more interesting.

ok, so, i live in a town called okinawa city. however, the locals call it "koza" which is the old name for the town. there is a military base here, so the u.s. presence is huge. anyways, we live on a street called "park avenue," but it used to be called "b.c. street."

originally, "b.c. street" used to mean "business center street" but it soon became known as "bring cash street" due to the plethora of adult activities available on the strip. for years, "b.c. street" was the place where american g.i.'s would go to get drunk, listen to some live music, go to a disco and meet girls. it was, as one old retired military friend of mine puts it, the "wild wild west." during the vietnam, korean and the first and second iraq wars, this place was a crazy place. recently, b.c. street has quieted down. the seedy strip clubs and brothels have shut down. now, it's a street lined with a bunch of bars and restaurants. to help change the image of the street, they renamed it “park avenue,” i guess since it sounds classy.

b.c. street aka park avenue today:

1.jpg

2.jpg

ok, so, i live in a town called okinawa city. however, the locals call it "koza" which is the old name for the town. there is a military base here, so the u.s. presence is huge. anyways, we live on a street called "park avenue," but it used to be called "b.c. street."

originally, "b.c. street" used to mean "business center street" but it soon became known as "bring cash street" due to the plethora of adult activities available on the strip. for years, "b.c. street" was the place where american g.i.'s would go to get drunk, listen to some live music, go to a disco and meet girls. it was, as one old retired military friend of mine puts it, the "wild wild west." during the vietnam, korean and the first and second iraq wars, this place was a crazy place. recently, b.c. street has quieted down. the seedy strip clubs and brothels have shut down. now, it's a street lined with a bunch of bars and restaurants. to help change the image of the street, they renamed it “park avenue,” i guess since it sounds classy.

b.c. street aka park avenue today:

1.jpg

2.jpg

in japan, they have these type of cars called, "kei cars." they are super small, so they are easy to maneuver. they are light and have super efficient (though not very powerful) motors, so they use very little gas. they are cheap too! and you save at the gas pump. this is our little kei-car. it gets us around town. i'm not sure why they don't have these cars in the u.s., but i'm sure the oil companies wouldn't want these around. also, these are way too small for most americans who are on the heavy side.

3.jpg

in japan, they have these type of cars called, "kei cars." they are super small, so they are easy to maneuver. they are light and have super efficient (though not very powerful) motors, so they use very little gas. they are cheap too! and you save at the gas pump. this is our little kei-car. it gets us around town. i'm not sure why they don't have these cars in the u.s., but i'm sure the oil companies wouldn't want these around. also, these are way too small for most americans who are on the heavy side.

3.jpg

today, we went to a local farmer's market. lots of great produce available here.

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

this is a japanese radish called, “daikon.” you might remember it used as a weapon in mario bros. 2.

7.jpg

daikon.jpg

lunch:

8.jpg

at the supermarket:

9.jpg

these are bottles of “kid's beer.” i'm assuming non-alcoholic malted beverage for kids. yeah, they start them early over here.

10.jpg

*edit* if you look at the bottle that looks like a corona bottle, "codomo" means "child" in japanese. :)

today, we went to a local farmer's market. lots of great produce available here.

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

this is a japanese radish called, “daikon.” you might remember it used as a weapon in mario bros. 2.

7.jpg

daikon.jpg

lunch:

8.jpg

at the supermarket:

9.jpg

these are bottles of “kid's beer.” i'm assuming non-alcoholic malted beverage for kids. yeah, they start them early over here.

10.jpg

*edit* if you look at the bottle that looks like a corona bottle, "codomo" means "child" in japanese. :)

after shopping, we went to see the kuniyoshis.

mr. and mrs. kuniyoshi make custom denim clothing in koza. mr. kuniyoshi fell in love with denim when he used to live in los angeles. when he came back to japan, he decided to make denim his life and worked at a very famous factory in okayama—the mecca of japanese denim. at the factory, he met his future wife who also shared his passion for denim. after 10 years of working at the factory, they came back to his home town to start their own company—double volante.

23.jpg

12.jpg

some of his custom made jeans:

13.jpg

he owns one of the only union special chainstitchers on the whole island of okinawa:

14.jpg

here he is showing us a pair of jeans that he wore when he was working at the denim factory:

15.jpg

kuniyoshi-san and me, discussing denim over ginger crackers and oolong tea....

16.jpg

17.jpg